1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Russell Westbrook Stats Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shaq2Yao, Oct 26, 2019.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

This is why Rockets do not play traditional center when Russ plays without Harden lineups. Russ is posting up or needs driving lanes to the hoop.

Dunker spot would create to much congestion and rim protection in the paint.

3. Asian Sensation

He’s only attempted 2.4 three pointers during that 7 game stretch. Hopefully he continues to focus on his strengths.

Deckard, pr0wler and hakeem94 like this.
  4. JW86

JW86 Member

The way he attacked the basket yesterday, scary how quick he is and when he comes in with force and lay its off the glass it goes in so fast, I don't think I've ever seen a ball going in faster off the board than that!

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

To.further maximize Russ, Morey/Tilly need to bring in more pace and space players.

Guys who are long, love to run and can hit 3.

That is not Tucker, Tyson, Thabo or even House. Either too old to run that hard and that often or unwilling.

McLemore, Clint, Harty are guys who love to run. Harty just runs funny and Clint gets winded because he runs himself to near death. Kid has always had stamina issues.

EGo and Harden will run just not all the time.

Plowman and hakeem94 like this.
  6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Im genuinely interested in two things.

Does his greatly improved shot selection continue?

After playing in the NBA for 10+ seasons with perhaps the dumbest shot selection in NBA history...what in gods name finally got through to him and made him stop over this stretch?

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

it must be tough for him that it coincided with the losing streak what an irony! hahahah

Swish4fives and pr0wler like this.
  8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Basically gotta use Russ as the C on offense. I love it...

pr0wler likes this.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Last night was an aberration. When Russ plays well statistically, we lose the game. Someone go data mine then laminate.

pr0wler likes this.
  10. Asian Sensation

Maybe he’s a ClutchFan.

11. smp

smp Member

I know this isn’t NCAA ball. But the coach is still responsible for installing a system and getting the players to run it. The coach gets credit and blame for his ability to get players to buy in to the system and execute. Coach can’t shoot the shots but he should be mandating which shots are taken in his offense.

Credit to MDA for helping Westbrook become a better player. Credit to Westbrook for listening. So far anyway.

pr0wler likes this.
  12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We can give credit to Mike,

but I think it was James that dropped the bread crumbs...

smp likes this.
  13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

That’s too broad of a generalization. When he stops chucking from 3 (Takes fewer than 4 3s)and attacks we’re 13-2. The games when he fires with wreckless abandon we’re literally a .500 (11-11) team.

His stats like points assists and rebounds don’t change much in these two scenarios but his shooting % is 10% better and of course we win at a higher clip.

I really hope this is something we build upon the rest of the year—you let Russ penetrate and take as many shots near the basket as he wants, let him create for others. This is why @ch44 post about the Rockets asking about Kennard is interesting because he would be a perfect complement to Russ in the backcourt.

#133 steddinotayto, Jan 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  14. steddinotayto

Here’s what I posted this morning in another thread

When Westbrook attempts 3 or fewer 3 pointers:

15 games: 25.2 ppg, 8.9 rpg, 7.8 apg 51.6FG% Rockets record: 13-2

When Westbrook attempts 4 or more 3 pointers:

22 games: 25.4ppg, 7.6 rpg, 7 apg, 41FG% Rockets record: 11-11

Basically, Westbrook's high level stats don't change all that much but when he lays off the 3 point shooting he's getting to the basket more (higher FG%) and the Rockets have performed better.

Interestingly enough, if you change the line and look at games where Westbrook only attempts 2 or fewer 3s:

10 games: 25.9 ppg, 8.8 rpg, 7.9 apg, 52.2FG% Rockets record: 8-2

xtruroyaltyx, Plowman and Deckard like this.
  15. Newlin

Newlin Member

I said a couple of months ago that if Westbrook would just stop shooting threes, then he would be really good. Westbrook and Harden are both really good at driving to the basket. It’s frustrating when they start chucking and missing threes when they are so good at getting to the basket.

16. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Do you think someone came to Russ and advised him to take less threes?

Coach, player? Personal friend/family?

Or has he gotten more self aware?

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Better yet, use him as screener.

RudyTBag and steddinotayto like this.
  18. steddinotayto

Maybe that players only meeting was to air out frustrations? Like “I’m gonna stop f-ing around with 3s bc I suck at it and just drive to the hole”

We’ll see if this continues but I have a good feeling it will. This allows Russ to play to his strengths of scoring inside and kicking out to open shooters when defense collapses on him in the paint. Technically this is still playing Moreyball bc he’s scoring around the paint.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

TS% 51.8, A/TO 1.69, FT% 77

These are the 3 stats I watch when looking at WB, I will officially become a fan if he can get a minimum line of

TS% 55, A/TO 2.0, FT% 75

He's got a long way to go with his efficiency and assist to turnover ratio, but am happy with his FT shooting

It would also be nice if he could have a VORP of at least 5.0, and a WS/48 of at least .200, considering he's making 40 mill.

The only season WB played where he checked every single one of those boxes is his 2015-16 season, which was not his MVP season, but the one before it with KD, where he only averaged 23ppg. So it should be possible for him to do this with Harden, but he'd have to start playing a lot better consistently.

20. BigTex

BigTex Member

Russ now at 3rd most Drives Per Game (19.2). And #1 in January (22.7)

Also his 2P% is at a career high

Just over 50%. Career 46.7%.

pr0wler likes this.