1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Russ Small fired

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Old School, Feb 1, 2002.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Lance and John's show is bar none, the best hours of AM radio all day long.

2. drapg

drapg Member

Nothing is worse than Austin sports radio, RM95 has it right.

The morning show is crap. Craig followed by the afternoon guys... CRAP!

Now that they've switched to a FOX Sports affiliate, it's worse.

JT the Prick is the worst show to go to bed to. Plus we suffer through Rome, like most of the nation.

For over 10 years I have had sports radio on 24 hours a day in my bedroom, even when I sleep, because I'm that much of a freakin' sports addict. I've had to suffer for years through Austin's crappy sports radio.

I'm considering starting my own sports radio talk show on the Internet. I found a website that allows you to broadcast over the web for a monthly fee. I really want to see if I could do a better job than the clowns in Austin.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Maybe if I got to listen to Houston guys more, I'd hate Rome as much as everyone else. But when you move from one horrendous market to another, Rome's a breath of fresh air.

The guys this morning on The Ticket had a contest between the hosts about what is sold in grocery stores. The worst part was that they didn't even know half the ****ing answers.

4. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

I hated Mike Edmonds and Anita Martini. They used to do the Jerry Glanville show and they were defensive as hell.

The biggest ass kissers in the history of sports broadcasting.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I almost wanted to boycott when Adam Wexler left. He was a mix between Charie and Lance. Very smart but not so smug all the time. I think he and Charlie would be great. As for Charlie and Rich, its okay with me because the have very good chemistry, so does John and Lance, but I used to hate to miss Wexler when he had his Sunday night gig. Wexler was also very level headed, which was kind of funny when he was doing that Sunday night show with Tony Ortiz. Remember that?

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Be happy you live in Houston. Currently, they're doing a Bible/Christianity contest. This is a sports station. And again, they don't know some of the answers to the questions they're asking. So very, very annoying.

7. MadMax

i was in waco one summer during the stanley cup...a few people called in to talk hockey on the sportsradio station there and the local hosts were absolutely clueless. it was hilarious...they would try to be evasive but would have to try to answer a little bit. the next day they came on and said, "uh..we're done talking about hockey."

aren't you in dallas? they're doing that on a dallas sports station?

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yup. After that, they replayed 30 minutes or so worth of the Jackson interview last night. At least now they're talking to Steve Nash. Of course, the first 10 minutes of the interview had nothing to do with sports.

9. MadMax

yeah...about 10 years ago dallas was the sports radio capital of the world...then it all went to hell. i have friends who are native dallasites who complain about how it devolved there.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Now they're somehow comparing liberals to Michael Jackson. :rolleyes:

The Fox station up here isn't that bad. They actually talk sports sometimes.

11. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Rich and Charlie are jackasses. I have heard them say terrible things about entire groups of people (ie fat people). Talk sports...be entertaining...but keep your opinions about people you've never met to yourself.

I haven't listened to their drivel since.

12. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

BTW Old School...sorry to hear about your fellow Hilltopper....Chris Marcus cant get a damn break

13. adrian

adrian Member

Dan Patrick is good on tv but his show sucks, even when other people fill in, maybe its the whole ESPN thing, I even hate their SportsCenter updates at the top of the hour.

Also, John and Lance kick butt, but why does Lance always feel the need to clear his throat halfway through every sentence he says.

Adrian

14. scv_rockets

scv_rockets Member

I usually see Russ doing sports on Channel 2 every once in a while.

btw, what ever happened to Craig Roberts of Ch. 2.?? I was always curious about that.

15. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Two of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet.

16. Timing

Timing Member

He got fired in favor of pretty boy Wragge who I guess makes a lot less than Craig did. Not sure what he does now.

17. scv_rockets

scv_rockets Member

interesting...I have always enjoyed Craig doing sports. He makes the sportscast really funny, a great guy.

18. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Russ Small got fired?!?! Darn.

Who rehashed this thread anyway.

19. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I liked Russ Small's show. Not a big fan of Vandermeer's.

You have no idea how bad sports radio can be until you've lived in San Antonio. It's got some really bad nationwide shows like JT the Prick, and the all-time WORST show EVER in the history of Radio -- Papa Joe Chevalier. I swear to GOD he is the biggest loser and moron in the history of radio. You could have tybrave do a radio show and it would be better. In fact, a microphone in the wind would be more intelligent and entertaining. I <b>hate</b> Papa Joe. I don't know why I hate him so much, I just think he sucks . . . a LOT!

But that's only the awful national show part. Then we get into the local shows that are as bad as it can possibly be. ALL Spurs ALL the time, and not intelligent Spurs talk. Pure ass-kissing. It's like Ahmad Rashad's ass-kissing with every Spurs player. And the callers are SO dumb it's really an insult to San Antonio. Every day it's "I think Greg Popovich is the greatest coach ever" and then a bunch of agreement from the crappy hosts. Occasionally there's a Cowboys call, and we all know how Cowboys fans are . . .

San Antonio sports radio is pure crap. PURE crap through and through. I love Houston's station though. 610's national shows aren't that good (other than Rome, who I like), and I dislike Matt Jackson's cadence when he speaks, but other than that they have a great station. Rich and Charlie are very good, John and Lance are entertaining, Vandermeer is okay (but I liked Russ Small better). The only thing that sucks is Dan Patrick. The show's grown on me, but I still would rather hear someone else.

Has anyone else gotten annoyed by Jackson's speaking style? He will say something and at the end of the sentence leave HUGE pauses and stretch the words out, making it really annoying. "Nice win tonight, Steve got everyone involved, blah blah blah, and <i>that's just the way . . . . the Rockets . . . have to . . . . . . . . . . . . . . do . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . it.</b> Mike, on the south side, you're up (and so on)". He's got a good show, but his cadence bothers the heck out of me! :)

20. MadMax

they seem like it...remind me a lot of the guys i hung out with in high school.