1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roy O

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by the shark, Jan 25, 2018.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

Thought he was the most underrated and underpaid pitcher of his era, but as it turned out, the masses were right, as he just puttered out at the end. And that's too bad because I thought HOF was guaranteed for him. I would have put money on it.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

Interestingly enough, almost feels like Stephen Strasburg is following the similar career trajectory where you can see the talent, he walks it out on the mound every day, but the guy never cracks 15 wins. HOF talent who may never see the wall.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

What exactly do you not like at all about Dallas Keuchel?

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Roy won a ton of games when the Astros were actually good.

The 2 couldn't be more polar opposites if you ask me. One was a tiny unheralded bulldog, the other is a supernaturally talented beast that seems to not be the most mentally tough at times.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

Important to note is that 4 of the top 10 BIG game pitchers were Astros;

Roy Oswalt (1)
    Don Sutton (4)
    Andy Pettitte (7)
    Randy Johnson (3)

msn likes this.
  6. the shark

the shark Member

I'll ask as well....what don't you like about Keuchel?

The guy has been nothing but class as an Astro, he won a freakin CY, and he helped this team win a damn WS. His teammates love him, and he does a lot in the community. Again why don't you like him? Is it Boras that you don't like?

One more thing, Verlander is on record saying that DK called him before the trade and told him he would enjoy being in Houston. What DK said to JV played into his decision to accept the trade.

vince likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I only like pitchers who go noodling and view a good tractor as an integral part of a new contract.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It is if you are historically dominant like Pedro Martinez or Sandy Koufax (of course his was extreme as it was 6 years). What's interesting is if Clayton Kershaw died tomorrow, he'd sail in. If he suddenly fell off a cliff and was a marginal pitcher for the next 5 years, he might not (though I think he would). Halladay will be interesting next year.
    And we never won a WS game with any of them.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

Also noteworthy is that Sand Koufax, Pedro Martinez, and Nolan Ryan rank nearly identically in BIG Games. However, you could argue Nolan Ryan remained who he was, while Koufax and Pedro fell off under the pressure.

Sandy Koufax was just 28-26 in Big Games. Shocking. Koufax’ career record was 165-87, making him 137-61 when he wasn’t a Big Game (.692), but 28-26 when he was (.519). Whoa.
    Pedro Martinez’ record in Big Games was not great, either, just 25-22, 3.34 ERA.
    Nolan Ryan was 20-21 in Big Games, 3.68 ERA.

10. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Dallas Keuchel complained through the media about the 1st trade deadline,when there were no trades made, keep it in house. Talk to Jeff Luhnow directly. I give Dallas credit for talking to Verlander, But be warned, don't complain Dallas is selfish leaving for more money.

11. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Madison Bumgardner could be greater than Sandy Koufax.

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

You mean to tell me Dallas is going to do what the vast majority of players do?

If Dallas leaves despite a very competitive offer, I'll be disappointed. If he leaves because we weren't willing to give him a comparable deal, my feelings won't be hurt at all. It is a job for him and this will be the first time in his adult life where he is in control of it.

kaleidosky likes this.
  13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The nerve of that guy, how dare he.

I'm sure the Astros will offer him a huge deal out of "loyalty" if something goes wrong this season.

kaleidosky and juicystream like this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

Hook him up to a tractor battery, that'll fix him.

15. underrated015

underrated015 Member

I wish that 2005 team had won. Roy O was dominant as an astro.

16. SuraGotMadHops

"My truck done shocked the fire out of me, and my arm don't hurt no more."

17. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

FIFY

Poloshirtbandit likes this.