1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roger Federer's Return (or Evolution)

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Roxfreak724, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

With Federer winning the 2 biggest events of the year so far, Australian Open and Indian Wells, and his historically fragile backhand, his one weakness, now becoming a strength, he seems almost unbeatable at times. He's beaten Nadal, who was supposed to be his one kryptonite, 3 times in a row now and he's making minced meat out of everybody else. All at almost 36 years of age, more than 10 years removed from his athletic peak (2004-2007), when he's supposed to be on the decline.

This is incredible to me, absolutely astounding, and despite the lack of coverage in the US ESPN, it is the biggest story in sports (from my perspective, not the media's). Not sure how long this is going to last, which I think just makes every tournament he plays in from here on out must watch tv.

Just wanted to see if anybody else has been watching this ridiculous resurgence/evolution.

Yung-T and Plowman like this.
  2. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Yes it amazing. I am really happy.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

He's stepping up and taking the backhand early instead of waiting for it -- amazing change -- now he is just ripping backhand winners.

4. Pbev99

Pbev99 Member

The new racket helped his backhand a lot. It's nice seeing him so confident with that shot.

saleem likes this.
  5. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

This Federer-Kyrgios match is maybe the best of the year. Has everything. Tight score, high level play, amazing shots, talking, antics, engaged crowd. Both guys just playing great.

saleem likes this.
  6. Jontro

Jontro Member

is federer like pop, duncan, and spurs management all meshed into one?

he's my second favorite after goran. could possibly overtake

7. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

19-1 to start 2017, 3 titles, 3 wins against Rafa, this is ridiculous stuff

KingCheetah, Yung-T and saleem like this.
  8. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He was always skilled, glad to see he takes care of his body so well.

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Federer is truly amazing. We can sing the praises of his technique for days. What I think is really amazing is how is able to motivate himself to keep putting the amount of work on conditioning and evolving his game. The guy has won everything, has unbelievable skill, and would still be great even if he took just a little more time off to enjoy his wife, kids, success etc. Once he's reached his heights at the game it is definitely a challenged to find inspiration to keep pushing himself as hard as he does.

He isn't my favorite player, but I like him, and he has utmost respect from me.

Yung-T likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Crazy longevity, guys! Almost thought Pistol Pete was the best, but yup he is.

Are you not entertained?

12. James Simpson

James Simpson Member

Federer. Hands down for this man. Form is temporary but class is permanent, this proverb is totally made for him.

saleem likes this.
  13. PhiSlammaJamma

He’s the new Tom Brady, until Sunday, when Tom Brady regains Tom Brady. Old is in.

14. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I am really happy. Federer is an amazing player. Unbelievable what he is doing at this age, especially with how mortal he looked in his early 30's. That first game in the fifth set was really nerf wrecking.

The amount of pressure he puts on opponents is amazing. It will be a sad day when he retires.

15. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

When I made this thread I was gushing over 1 australian open win and 2 masters titles. Since then, Federer has 2 more majors (won Wimbledon without dropping a set), Shanghai Masters (against Nadal again), Halle, and Basel. In sum, he has won 3 of the last 5 majors and 8 of the last 13 events he has played in. If you asked me in 2016 after Wimbledon, I would not (nor anyone else) have guessed this series of events in my wildest dreams.

His game has transitioned into the most offensive, relentless, and most importantly efficient style of his career. And of course, he can always use his old tricks (slice backhand, serve-volley) whenever he wants to mix it up and throw his opponents off balance (like he did against Cilic last night). Now armed with an offensive backhand to match his forehand, he is, despite being older and somewhat slower than in his youth, the most complete player he has ever been.

I have no idea when/how he will retire. Whether it will be a steady decline, sharp drop-off due to injury, i just don't know. I'm just enjoying every second of it while it still lasts.

saleem, I am a Donut and Plowman like this.
  16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Nobody born from the 90s has won GS yet. The youngest of them would be 27. There is pretty much a whole generation of tennis players who haven't won a major. Wouldn't be surprised if he just keeps winning until he is 50. You have a whole generation who hasn't won. His contemporaries are getting old and getting hurt and he seems to have just outlasted them. He could be like Serena with a second prime when he is old.

17. I am a Donut

It seems like something clicked in a major way with the win against Nadal at the AO last year. Following the Wimledon 2012 win everything felt like such a struggle, trying to stay healthy and pick up #18, which you know he wanted so bad. Then at the AO he got the moment he needed to break through,...down 1-3 in the 5th, pulled it off against his biggest rival, and has been playing with a ton of confindece and freedom, picking up titles like crazy ever since.

Would love to seem him get another French to help round out the majors count, but that’s a long shot. Getting another at the US would be pretty awesome as well.

saleem likes this.
  18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's nice to see Federer win his 6th Australian Open title and his 20th Grand Slam.
    I think another Wimbledon title is within his grasp with good timing, health and a bit of luck.
    Go Roger Go!

Roxfreak724 and I am a Donut like this.
  19. I am a Donut

ridiculous:

[​IMG]

Roxfreak724 and saleem like this.
  20. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I don't think it necessarily is a resurgence. As I watched Roger play over the last few years, his play didn't really seem to have declined. But the play of others, mainly Djokavic and Nadal, but also Murray and others) seemed to have risen dramatically. Their play fell off, and Roger is now winning again. I say this not to diminish what Roger is doing...maintaining his exceedingly high level of play at his age is pretty unheard of, and I applaud him for it. In fact, the fall off of the others shows just how hard it is to maintain such a high level...they are younger, and haven't been able to sustain it.

Roxfreak724 likes this.