1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roderick Johnson=LT solution?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Mr.Scarface, Aug 17, 2019.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Detroit had plenty of starters playing.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I was always liked Mancz at Center and exploring moving Martin to OG. Super small sample size to work off of but last night’s line play was encouraging. And yes I know it’s preseason.

raining threes likes this.
  3. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Cutting Kalil means a 2.25 M dead cap hit from the signing bonus. But the Texans would avoid paying his 2M roster bonus and 3.25 M salary. Seems to tilt towards cutting him, if he's really unable to beat these other guys out. Saves money for whatever they have planned for this year's trade market. To go along with their 36-ish million in cap room.

On Martin, assuming the team doesn't want to cut bait on a 2nd rounder, could Fulton move over to one of the guard positions, especially if whatever hand issue caused Howard to leave the game flares up over the next few games? I assume Martin has practically zero trade value.

It's just been so long since the line has looked even competent for Watson. It's a nice feeling.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Yeah, the money makes sense on cutting Kahli, especially with how much cap room we have.

On Martin, I think he could kick to guard and be effective. I still have hope for him, he's just injured too often. He and Mancz are interchangable at this point, and I wish one would separate themselves from the other.

I like Fulton as our center.

Gray_Jay and raining threes like this.
  5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I think this is our starting LT.

FWIW I caught a couple of minutes of both Payne and then Lance Zierlein on their shows this morning.

Payne said that Matt Kalil has shown him nothing at all this camp or preseason that should guarantee him as a starter. Also said that 'gun to his head', Rankin is the odd man out on the o-line.

Lance was really high on Sharping, showed really well on Saturday. Howard was ok but has some growing to do. He thought that Davenport would be the odd man out.

Is this where we stand right now? I think they'll scour the market and cut Kalil at the first opportunity to find a cheaper alternative. If they end up keeping 9 I think Rankin is the guy since they invested a 3rd rd pick in him last year.

OT: R.Johnson, Henderson, Kalil, Howard
    G: Fulton, Sharping, (Howard), (Martin)
    C: Martin, Mancz

6. ballgame

ballgame Member

What time did you tune in on 97.5 to get a legit Football take from Lance? When I use to listen; it was 90% attempted jokes, 10% actual sports talk.

7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Ha- it was right at the top of the show (7am)

I think this is the first game he's paid attention to and for good reason. Outside of a little post-draft breakdown in April, there is very little of substance related to on the field play that's really worth talking about until after game 2 of the preseason. Every year I'm pretty much checked out of football from the draft until, well - now.

8. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

On the radio they were talking how even his practice sessions looked perfect - it’s like he got repossessed by the spirit of a real Left Tackle because he wasn’t that good before

Genesis likes this.
  9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Well he has been injured most of the 2-3 years that he has been in the league.