1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets working to sign Isaiah Hartenstein

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 18, 2018.

1. AXG

AXG Member

Nene is on his last legs and Zhou is extremely raw. Nanu is likely gone. Tuck can play small ball 5

D-rock likes this.
  2. omgTHEpotential

He needs to be bought out first from DMo's old Lithuanian team. He was only loaned to the Vipers. Apparently the buyout could be as high as $600K. This should tell you how high Morey is on this kid.

htxaf, saleem, Vivi and 1 other person like this.
  3. Normalus

Normalus Member

This kid would be traded for the 2nd rounder. Never liked this pick by Morey.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Make it happen for the first German star!

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

Or just how high Morey is, period.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Nope.

Did you forget Clyde Drechsler?

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Interesting. Had no idea. I say don't sign him them. Just keep stashing him, by refusing to pay the buyout.

I'm not even sure if we have to extend the required tender to a player under contract in another league holding a buyout. Seems odd if a player can get FIBA clearance, take the required tender, but the NBA team doesn't want to pay the buyout. Isn't that a stalemate situation?

8. heypartner

And Chucky Braun

saleem likes this.
  9. onreego

onreego Member

Wouldn't that just be an even trade though?

10. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Fran Fraschella said this guy would’ve been a lottery pick if it wasn’t for some medical issues on draft night. Let’s see.

11. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

He has a big body, he's fairly mobile, he absorbs contact, and has good hands, so he can play right now. He seems like a good backup to me, with the potential to be a lot more if he can develop a 3pt shot.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Does the buyout count towards the cap / whatever exception would be used to sign him?

saleem likes this.
  13. omgTHEpotential

It's indeed an interesting situation. But I think it's on the GM to research the contract situation and the possible buyout of the player he's interested in drafting. Morey kind of put himself into this position, I guess...

14. omgTHEpotential

@heypartner it's also kind of surprising since there was an article in the Lithuanian media how the Rockets could just wait for a year and sign Hartenstein for free. But the Lithuanian media isn't really too savvy when it comes to NBA transactions/rules, so I'm not sure who to believe.

heypartner likes this.
  15. heypartner

No.

There is a freebie limit of $700k that teams can just pay...no consequences (called Excluded International Player Payment Amount). (Apparently, this covers Isaiah's buyout.)

For other scenarios of players having bigger buyouts (like Llull), technically the player pays that out of his salary. So, it would only count extra to the cap in the case where we pay the player more salary than he's worth, so he can pay his buyout. That's an issue with 2nd Round picks (like Llull), but 1st round picks are locked into a salary scale, so the buyout truly comes out of their pockets.

#75 heypartner, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    saleem likes this.
  16. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

HEIL HARTENSTEIN!

MEIN STRETCH FORWARD.

17. heypartner

That's what I mean. We just wait. Seems reasonable that the FIBA leagues would all agree that teams can't be forced to pay a buyout.

@BimaThug made a comment that we have to give Required Tenders to maintain draft rights, and Isaiah could take it. But not sure if he was aware that Isaiah is still under contract. Maybe the Required Tender is rather meaningless (or not required), when a buyout situation exists. Team just refuses to pay it.

Maybe Zalgiris has to actually waive/cut him before any of this matters to us, vs just not signing him/stashing him.

18. omgTHEpotential

Did the Rockets give a required tender to Llull? It doesn't seem like the situation is any different here. Unless being loaned to a G-League somehow changed Isaiah's status

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Gotcha. Thanks.

Well, relative to your other posts, I mean he likely isn't "ready" to contribute in any meaningful way AT ALL on the active roster...

... BUT, I absolutely think at this point he would/could benefit from being on it in a way that would help him potentially become a real contributor next year, so I'm down with whatever DM decides to do here.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Time to give Capela the Dwight treatment. Lets see how he reacts to Isaiah playing back up.