1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets sign Cameron Oliver

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Jun 22, 2017.

1. basketballholic

No. I'm an admirer of them. Just like I admire the Spurs. Those two franchises are doing the business of basketball better than everybody else.

D-rock likes this.
  2. Fantasma Negro

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

can't wait to not see him for the next 2 years because of vipers

4. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Playing some of these young guys earlier would be upping your risk profile.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Cameron Oliver looks similar in style to Carl Landry, no?

Jayzers_100 and BimaThug like this.
  6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

They are a similar size and have similar athleticism. Oliver should be be a significantly better defensive rebounder and shot blocker, plus his range extends out to the 3PT line. I don't think he will be the same type of finisher around the rim though, Olivers finishing ability is solid, but Landry was a beast.

The closest comparison I could make towards Oliver potential would be a modern day Serge Ibaka. Good shot blocker, solid defensive rebounder, 3PT jumper, mid range jumper, solid finisher around the rim, good athlete.

#86 ThatBoyNick, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    roslolian and Deuce like this.
  7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

And if he's any good when his contract is up he will sign elsewhere.

I just love the way this organization develops young talent.

Morey: Oh your a good player but don't ask me about an extension until you test free agency. Oh your worth that much? Ok bye bye.

Jontro, napalm06 and FTW Rockets FTW like this.
  8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Hype highlights.

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Nice. It seems that he has made every shot he's ever attempted - about 35 dunks, 2 3 pointers, and a runner.

Jayzers_100 and Jontro like this.
  10. CallMeTheDream

I really do hope he pans out but this happens every year. Another undersized PF who's not dominant enough at any one aspect of the game. He played dirt competition in college. One of those guys who just bullied everyone with athleticism but no real skill. That usually never translates to the NBA. It'd be more encouraging if he were at least 6'11 like Bobby Portis or some other up and coming bigs but at 6'7 you're playing with SF height and has no ball handling or facilitating skills. So basically he's a tweener. Just my analysis.

Little Bit and cheke64 like this.
  11. CallMeTheDream

When was the last time Morey drafted a skill position? Is he scared to take risks on raw/undeveloped guards. You'd think a guards ceiling is higher than the usual PF Morey loves to draft.

napalm06 likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

Because there are lots of guards in the league and he drafts for something that maybe more valuable due to scarcity. We pick up guards with late 2nd round picks and those that are undrafted.

HTX Ninja likes this.
  13. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Young Rockets bigs: Capela, Chinau, Zhou, Montrezl and the 2 scrubs from this years draft

14. dmoneybangbang

Well yea.... It's not a good plan to overpay for role players. We seem to consistently draft guys who can contribute but are missing that all star to play next to Harden.

15. Rokman

Rokman Member

True but we made it to the WCF 2 years ago and were the 3rd best team during the regular season last year. We've made it out of the first round numerous times since Morey has been on board so overall I'm pleased with the product he has been putting on the court over the years even with all the odds stacked against him. He's a good GM.

glynch likes this.
  16. fattz

fattz Member

I am hoping against hope he never sees the G league and his development happens at the end of the bench with about 5 - 10 minutes nightly in the second quarter versus real NBA players and coached nightly by our vets and coaches. Bring him along fast with high expectations; he meets them or we part ways quickly - grow or move on. No time to wait 3 years and then gift him to another team like we normally do. ie Morris

He is in Harden's window or bust with him.

Sanity2disChaos likes this.
  17. oelman44

oelman44 Member

he reminds me of J-Smoove offensively. I think he's a good fit in the D'Antoni offense.

D-rock likes this.
  18. Remlap

Remlap Member

Undrafted? Picked him up for cheap? We'll take it

[​IMG]

19. Rokman

Rokman Member

You know who else was considered that dumb? Kevin Garnett. He couldn't even get accepted into a college. Now a shoe in for Hall of Fame.

20. kevtse

kevtse Member

Dont send him to the D League. With a weak mentality he will sink fast.