1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets need to sign Hassan Whiteside

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by haoafu, Jan 16, 2013.

1. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Feb 8 - 18min, 9pts, 7reb, 4 blks

Whiteside is averaging 18.9 reb and 7.9blks per 36min this season for the Vipers... but can only get 8.2min per game.

When Whiteside was getting 16min a game with the Sky Fall Sioux earlier this season, he averaged 17.8reb and 3.2blks (and 23.9points) per 36min.

Is there a stamina issue?

I know Olbrecht is in front of him in the rotation, but I really want to see Whiteside play.

I think Olbrecht can definitely be a 3rd center in the NBA ... but Whiteside has a lot of potential. He's bulked up from 227lb from draftexpress.com to now 260lb, and doesn't seemed to have lost much athleticism.

This has helped his rebound rate improve from 9.3reb/36min in his first DLeague season, when he was probably pushed around easily due to his weight.

He's a very good offensive rebounder with an offensive rebound to defensive rebound ratio of ~1:1.9, vs say 1 to 2.5 for Omer Asik.

And he still has a 7"7 wingspan!

Same 2010 draft as Larry Sanders, and one year younger. Could he take a step forward with age and a better filled out body?

#21 mike_lu, Feb 10, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  2. basketballholic

Whiteside is being stowed in RGV. I fully expect him to be a Rocket the day after the trade deadline. No, Ohlbrecht is not a center. He should get a shot too. But he's not better than Whiteside. Whiteside is ready for NBA rotation action. The added weight he has put on has turned him into a defensive menace. Not to mention he does have offensive skills. And don't forget 9'6" standing reach.

Ohlbrecht is a tweener 4/5, more of a pnr 4 that can shoot the long 2-pt jumper. Doesn't have an efficient 3-pt shot but he has multiple offensive skillsets. I think he's an NBA player. But the Rox primarily need a long 5 to back up Asik. Whiteside may be it.

3. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Exactly what I'm thinking. I hope it works out. I hope we can find a taker for Aldrich.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah but that doesn't make any sense because Whiteside isn't on the Rockets roster, he's on the Vipers roster, Rockets don't even have his rights so they can't be "hiding" him. The D league isn't a true farm team, the Rockets don't have THAT much control over them. If they thought Whiteside was good, he'd be playing more.

5. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

That's why he's hidden. If he gets 30 minutes for a few games, and blows up with a few 20 pt 15 reb 5 blk games, the Rockets can't hold on to him if another team makes an offer, without trying to match by cutting one of the players.

I think if Morey really wanted Whiteside, he'll be willing to cut Aldrich. But why cut him when you could potentially still trade him before the trade deadline for a potential asset (even a late 2nd round pick or just cash savings)? Never say never ... an injury on a team needing big man depth could open this possibility up.

Aldrich has the most trade value because he's a center (and a previous high pick that hasn't been given a lot of minutes) and he's an expiring (Morey didn't not extend his contract at the start of the year, making him easy lame duck status from year start), and McHale is giving him some run now perhaps to showcase or perhaps just Smith has been pretty bad defensively.

Douglas likely won't be back next year ... but I think he may play out the season as Beverley isn't fully ready and probably not going to be consistent enough for us to make a playoff push.

6. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

hi Daryl Morey,

Please do send your scouts to keep an eye on this guy Whiteside.

I think the Rockets could use the roster spot of Royce White or James Anderson for a shot blocker.

7. CertifiedTroll

Not trying to be condescending, but are you judging off of stats or live performance. The dude barely gets minutes down there. When Patrick Beverley played only a few minutes he has a PER greater than 100.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Are folks on here still only hoping the Rockets sign Whiteside because of his DraftExpress profile, and YouTube clips?

Look if you have watched a RGV game this season where he actually plays its not hard to see that Whiteside is probably never going to be an NBA player. He's that bad.

I see no point of even suggesting the Rockets move someone like James Anderson or Royce White in order to sign this guy. Especially after the Rockets went through so much hell with Royce White to at this point let him go in order to sign Whiteside...

9. basketballholic

There's no point in suggesting the Rox move someone like Anderson or White in order to sign this guy. There is a point to be made that there will likely be a roster spot open up after the trade deadline.

As far as watching RGV games, there's not a whole lot of Whiteside to see in RGV games. They are stowing him. But in the few minutes he has played he has dominated the defensive paint and glass. And that is EXACTLY what the Rox need when Asik goes off the floor. It's just like mike_lu just told you. IF they give Hassan major burn down there, he'll throw up 20/15/5s and another team will snap him up. Look, RGV traded Dequan Summers for him. Why would they do that when they've already got Albrecht/Macklin playing the big spots and Summers was/is a top prospect in RGV?

Agreed, HW is not playing that hard down there. He lopes up and down the court. You can tell he's not giving it his all in the few garbage minutes he is receiving. And he's still putting up stats that if you do a little bit of extrapolating you will see they grow quite large given a 30 mpg scenario.

I'll be shocked if we don't sign him after the trade deadline.

10. thething

thething Contributing Member

Rocketa opened up a roster spot with the trades. Lets sign this guy.

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

While Whiteside shouldn't be penciled into an NBA lineup, I think he SHOULD be getting more MINUTES on RGV.

I don't care what kind of low motor/ low IQ / attitude issues a guy has, averaging 8 blocks per-36 minutes, and doing board work with it, means needing to get more court time to see it holds up even 70% that rate.

( As long as the Mark Eaton story exists going from never playing in college into productive NBA post defender, there's always gonna be over-projecting a tall guy's prospects )

12. delishman

delishman Member

Went to the Vipers game in Austin. Guy is super raw, still.

Kid can block shots like no other. No reason he shouldn't be starting. I'd be surprised if he ever gets in an NBA rotation though.

13. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I've watched him play in the Dleague. Whiteside has gained significant bulk/muscle while maintaining his physical/athletic attributes. He can give you several highlight reel plays a game.

The problem remains that he just does not have much of an idea of how to properly play the game in relation to defensive assignments, spacing, team defense, etc. This is why he does not get more minutes.

Hopefully, the staff in RGV can make enough strides with him that he can put it all together.

14. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

If we don't sign him, hopefully he can at least get a 10-day contract to make an impression down the road.

15. basketballholic

Our scheme and defensive assignments aren't that complicated, especially for the center. Run up and down the middle of the floor, set the pick, flash to the bucket, circle out, set another pick, flash back inside, rebound, run down, flank the opponent 5, hedge him to the middle, rotate help on drivers, hedge out on picks, box out, board, get the ball out quickly to a ball handler. Doesn't take anything close to a Rocket scientist to learn how to effectively run our scheme

16. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

You're just reiterating precisely why he is not getting more minutes.

Don't get me wrong, I like Whiteside and would prbably risk it if it were me, but...

17. basketballholic

If you are right, they won't sign him.

My opinion for a long time now, since shortly after RGV traded Dejuan Summers (a potential NBA call up and potential NBDL MVP) for him earlier this season. RGV gave Vernon Macklin, a player with the brains of an ice cube, minutes and they consistently left Whiteside on the bench. I think they have hid him with the intention of signing him after the trade deadline. We'll see soon enough if I am right.

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

Greg Smith is probably better than Whiteside, to be honest.

19. basketballholic

Not defensively.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not as a shot blocker or rebounder. The two areas that the Rockets lack when Asik comes out of the game.