1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Rockets Broadcasters under attack

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Dec 12, 2017.

1. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Bill is fine if he's all you've ever known. It's just frustrating because I get waaaay more insight from other teams guys (Knicks, Nets, Heat, Raptors, Kings, Blazers, etc.). Those guys really do their homework compared to Bill, which is like watching the game with your grandpa.

Yung-T and Reeko like this.
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I appreciate our announcers so much more when I listen to other announcer teams
    They are COMPLETE homers and just plain suck

Rocket River

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

don't know if it's already been mentioned, but last nite bill twice said that pels had played in philly the previous nite smh

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Worrell - he is a homer but I like him. I can see why others would not.
    Clyde - Terrible beyond belief.
    Bullard - Slight homer. Kind of bland but ok.
    Ackerman - Excellent.

The people that complain about Worrell, the thing is, is that there are a lot of homer local guys. Those SPURS announcers are beyond awful! Boston is terrible too. In fact sometimes people just laugh at Heinsohn and sort of give him a free pass. He shouldn't. Warriors are bad too. Many local guys are.

Tilman should try and experiment with Ackerman and Calvin Murphy.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

yeah, I noticed that too

6. lionaire

lionaire Member

They’re just pissed lmao. I’m anti Warriors and I used to get upset with the amount of homerism by their broadcast team especially when they would win games in wild fashion like we’ve been doing. So I can see why these dudes are salty.

7. HRox832

HRox832 Member

I like Bill and Craig. Bull is ok but Clyde is just terrible. Says the stupidest things imaginable. Yesterday vs the Pelicans he said something like "Jrue Holiday is playing so good, he looks like he's on a holiday!"

If you were on a holiday, wouldn't you be playing bad? Clyde is just cringe

8. cbs1507

cbs1507 Member

I'm pretty sure he would sound like Morgan Freeman

#68 cbs1507, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  9. arubato

arubato Member

I guess they haven’t watched Boston feed.

heypartner likes this.
  10. cbs1507

cbs1507 Member

Boston is terrible. I had to endure their broadcast once because no rockets streams were available

joeson332 likes this.
  11. cbs1507

cbs1507 Member

If you actually listened to other teams you'd find Clyde is not that bad cuz most other teams broadcasters are ass.

juanm34 likes this.
  12. Mr. Space City

people are not used to watching rockets games with announcers that have clear anti-rockets bias.

13. Juxtaposed Jolt

Who's worse? Boston or Chicago?

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

Agreed. BIll turns into a color commentator at times, which is what Clyde and Bull are. Having 3 CoComs is boring.

15. simon_!

simon_! Member

i like bill
    i get my insight on clutchfans,
    bill is great grandpa companion. i dont get to choose feeds so often have to listen others; think i hate everybody except bill

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, and not to mention when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor at the beginning of WWII.

17. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Clyde Drexler has always been a calculated, measured public speaker. Go watch any of his player interviews from the 90s or his commentary on the Rockets' 1995 championship video. Out of every player interviewed, he was always the one with the most cliched responses. I don't know if that's b/c he's naturally shy or something, but he always struck me as being, well, calculated that way.

The thing is, you can't be that way as a color commentator. You have to be able to say things spontaneously that make sense. Calvin Murphy is gifted that way. So is Barkley, except that he can say very offensive things as well. They should have never given Drexler that gig- I'd almost rather listen to Olajuwon as a commentator - even though I'd only understand 50% of what he would say, that 50% would be worth it.

Now, as far as how we rank... you have to start with the worst:

1. Tommy Heinsohn- he deserves a pedestal for his homerism (not to mention his "we need to get 3 guys from Boston to bring Artest into a dark alley" after Artest tripped Paul Pierce- no one has ever eclipsed that comment)
    2. Sean Elliott
    3. the guy from Denver

Those are your top 3. We're not anywhere close to how bad those 3 are, even w/ Drexler.

So, maybe we're below average, but we're certainly not the worst.

Deuce likes this.
  18. RestHarden

RestHarden Member

Bill does nothing interesting but say Ariza for threeza . . . and he's actually even stopped doing that.

Insight should be a standard prerequisite of the job. Without it you are nothing. Clyde isn't really all that basketball smart anymore either. I can't help but get the feeling he spends most of his time on other things. His job is to guide Bill when Bill doesn't know what he's talking about, but Clyde also needs some guidance.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

imo, Boston and San Antonio are the two worst. Heinsohn,,,wow, you think Worrell is losing it with age. Imagine an overly-excitable Ackerman 30yrs from now, with dementia.

And Sean Elliott is like Reggie Miller dumb, but with a homeristic freedom like he's calling his son's HS game to a listening audience of 3,000 people.

juanm34 likes this.
  20. juanm34

juanm34 Member

I really don't mind clydes commentary although not insightful he does say some of the stupidest things. Nice for a good laugh and WTF moments. Bull is ok and Craig gets the job done. I like to think bill has been drinking before the games to give him a pass on his amnesia.