1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets 2017 2nd from POR officially 45th

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by ThatBoyNick, Apr 18, 2017.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Just a little heads up

Today they did the 2017 draft pick coin flips for teams with tied records. The Portland Trail Blazers won a coin flip between them and the Bulls for the 15/16 spot. Rockets own the Blazers 2017 2nd so this officially makes that Rockets 2nd round pick the 45th pick of the draft.

So we basically jumped up one pick in the 2nd, it's exciting I know. But it could be the difference between drafting a star or a bust, so good news none the less.

Rockets also own the Nuggets 2017 2nd which will be 43rd.

Other (non Rockets related) results from the coin flips -

Results are:

6. MIN
    7. NYK

15. POR
    16. CHI

17. MIL
    18. IND

19. ATL
    20. POR

23. TOR
    24. UTA
    25. ORL
    26. POR

Ramo$e, Invisible Fan, Vivi and 3 others like this.
  2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Portland holding 15, 20 and 26 is pretty interesting.

Ramo$e and da_juice like this.
  3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Meh... could be, but it's not like two lotto picks. A great organization would probably find a hidden gem in there somewhere. Should at least come out with one solid rotation player, whereas if they just had one pick it could be a complete swing and miss. They're also kind of a deep team, albeit deep with average, no defense players. I could see them going international.

the most interesting part of the draft order so far is far and away the Lakers pick. I mean I wonder what the odds are in that lottery era for that #3 pick slipping to #4? certainly sometimes it jumps up, but it also seems relatively regularly there is a non top 3 team that jumps into the top 3. The icing on the cake for Lakers haters would be if Philly jumped into the top 3 and pushed the Lakers to 4, which would then give Philly that pick as well. I so want to see that...ha!

Minnesota is also interesting. They should have been so much better. KAT with AD is the best big man I've seen at his age in decades... they just have so much talent. And if they get lucky in the lottery, or if they just are able to stay pat at #6, in a potentially deep draft, that's just another young piece for them. A guy like Jonathan Isaac could look solid next to KAT in a few years. 35% three point shooting PF with size.

I still wonder if there'd be some way in the offseason to move Ariza plus say Harrell for LaVine?

4. basketballholic

Lavine is a knucklehead.

5. JayZ750

I'm not in love with him, but in an even more offense play, in a world where Ariza is declining and potentially replaced by a Gordon Hayward... well, LaVine has 2 consecutive years shooting threes at 38%+, is more a shooting guard than PG and would fit next to Harden in that sense, and would just be even more firepower.

But Rockets would have to have a plan for SF.

Hey, if Boston, LAL aren't willing to move much for Paul George, and George says he'd be down to play in Houston, but not Minnesota, maybe a three way deal. LaVine plus pieces from Houston/Minnesota to Indiana, Ariza plus pieces to Minnesota, PG to Houston. Pacers get robbed in that deal... but might lose PG for nothing, and LaVine is young and can score.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  6. da_juice

da_juice Member

At least one pick will be a foreign stash. I hope we pick up another wing player.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm getting some EG flashbacks. Still remembered that front page you posted with him in a gold uni when news of the trade broke .

High risk, high reward move by CD...

8. Progs

Progs Member

One is probably a big man stash at 45. But at 43, it should be a SF.

da_juice likes this.
  9. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I thought Philly only had the ability to swap?

10. JayZ750

I'm pretty sure that's with the Kings ... lol

They can switch with the Kings, but get the Lakers outright if it's outside the top 3.

I think the lottery is 2 weeks from yesterday. The 16th.

11. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

Blazers won the end-game with the Nurkic trade.

12. Lightsnowaction

I hope we only draft wings and no more undersized bigs.

13. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Draft Express has us taking Kyle Kuzma. He's got range, plays the read and react well and he's good at cutting when his defender takes his eyes off him. I'm kind of surprised he's that low on the board. I think he's got NBA ready ability, but he's not really a high flyer. He kind of reminds me of Nene.

I'll continue to research him.

14. don grahamleone

Here's his weaknesses. Coaching and gaining weight could lift this guy up. BUT, I'd be very interested to see how he responds to coaching. Making these kinds of mistakes in your junior year might me your ears are closed. I'd only take him if he's coachable. If he's not, why even be interested?

15. don grahamleone

I think I really like what the Aussie, Jonah Bolden could do for us, provided he's willing to play some center.

He sees himself as a 4 and I'm sure he could play some 4 but spelling Clint and Nene some minutes would be much needed. Shoots 38% from 3pt land in Europe and he's already been in a professional environment for the last year. He looks ready to go, if he's willing to accept a role. It's also a lot of fun to watch him play defense after they switch a pick and roll on defense. Dude never gets satisfied with where his feet are and he does that thing Patrick Beverly does and bends over his waist. He looks like he'd be annoying if he was defending you. I like what I see. Certainly much better than Kuzma. Kuzma just looks better on paper.

basketballholic and HTX Ninja like this.
  16. don grahamleone

More on Bolden. I really like this kid. I hope he's around when we pick. And I wouldn't mess around. I'd take him at 43, not 45. New York is in between our picks and they love trading picks to other teams and those teams could steal our gold. He's a terrible interview, but his improvement since his college days is there. Guy just wanted to dedicate himself to the game. I like that. I hope his agent sucks and lets him drop to us.

basketballholic and HTX Ninja like this.
  17. basketballholic

Hey, and we see alike.

Bolden at #43. Mason at #45.

don grahamleone likes this.
  18. don grahamleone

Wait, what Mason? I gotta go scout this

(nm Frank Mason, I know who that is)

I can see us needing a high percentage shooting PG. I know his ability to push the ball will definitely help some, but not seeing him play much pick and roll bugs me. It's not to say he can't do it, but my feeling is that shorter players have more trouble in PnR because of the closed down lanes. His ability to change speeds is very Harden-like though. If Houston gets a chance to work him out, they should get him in pick and roll for the entire session because everything else looks right to me.

#18 don grahamleone, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017
  19. don grahamleone

PnR breakdown:

Mason calls his own number a lot and doesn't let the pick and roll develope. That is a weakness and his patience needs work, but it probably wouldn't be a bad pick at 45. Either way, avoid drafting anyone before Bolden.

Draft combine game:

20. basketballholic

Ummmmm, pick and roll, eh??

Frank Mason is a master of the pick and roll game.