1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets 100% trying to get Paul George

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Denver isnt giving up Murry or Jokic in a a Love trade. And I dont think they want to give up Gary Harris either. Probably just Chandler/Juancho or Mudiay and a pick. Not going to get it done.

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

That'll "move the needle." Lol stop it

BigMaloe, mkahanek, Reeko and 3 others like this.
  3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It won't, but it's better than gutting out the team for a one year rental to get George.

4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

You're not seeing the big picture. Gut the team if it means Paul is also on board. Harden, Paul, PG.. fill out the roster. PG would take the 5 year deal to stay with a winner.

6. saleem

I would rather go for a PF( Blake or Millsap) and George on a extension. CP3 instead of George, in that scenario would be all right too.

Despite the chemistry problems with the Clippers, and a potential problem with Harden and CP3 in the backcourt, I feel Blake, Harden and CP3/ Capela would make us a dangerous squad.

7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Rumors state Griffin wants to get the hell away from CP3. I doubt we see them going to the same team.

8. saleem

Yes, that may be likely. If Chris Paul chooses the Spurs, then the Clippers may not give Blake the max, thus giving the Rockets a remote chance of getting him. Moving Anderson is the biggest hurdle in acquiring any free agent.

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I wonder why everyone acts as if San Antonio has the inside track on CP3. Even when I Google "Chris Paul" the first thing I see is "Chris Paul Spurs".

Sure, San Antonio has the track record and Pops/Kawhi, but I think they have even more dead weight to shed than we do. I guess it all comes down to getting that other star player somehow.

10. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

You're not really gutting the team of players we would likely keep after a year without another max player anyways. You're simply trading players a little earlier to obtain PG. Do you think we would pay Beverley market value when he's due to re-sign? Lou Williams is expiring, Ariza's contract is ending as well. Unless you are concerned about Ryan Anderson lol? This team can't even beat an aging Spurs without Kawhi , without TP, and with LMA playing like garbage. Adding PJ Tucker wouldn't get you anywhere lol. You add a guy like PG even as a rental, if he bolts to LA its not that big of a deal because we would have the cap space, which we likely would have created by trading away the players we are shopping now. You're over valuing role players on <2 years remaining. We had cap space last year and picked up EG and Ryno without giving up anything, these players are replaceable. Morey swings for the fences every off season anyways, if George came and left he would go after another max player next summer anyways and these players would need to be moved regardless. Pat is the only player that is not easily replaceable, but if you're getting CP to replace him then you do it. There is also a slight possibility Rockets are successful with George and Ball ends up underperforming/being a bust and George sees the Lakers as a potential Knicks type of Front Office and changes his mind. Magic is no Jerry West.

#930 BallSoHarden, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  11. saleem

There is no doubt that we can't get past the Spurs until we get an upgrade. I'm not against trading Ariza,and Lou's expiring contracts, and I certainly would like to see Anderson moved for cap space. I would like to see us getting Millsap or Blake first. Getting Paul George after that would make sense. I don't think that either he or Chris Paul would join us without an upgrade in the frontcourt. I would like to retain Bev on D, but if it's necessary to move him in order to get a star, I'm ok with it.

12. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Yeah, everyone would rather have George with an extension. The fact that he won't give one is exactly why we have a chance in the first place, because if he promised literally anyone else but the lakers, our fish would be fried.

saleem and justtxyank like this.
  13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I still think we are better than the Spurs overall, honestly.

14. saleem

If we were, we would have beaten them. Nene's absence in Game 5 was crucial, but we couldn't do anything without Kawai in Game 6.
    We have a long way to go.

15. saleem

I do agree with this. He does sound like a Prima Donna though, which is surprising to me, because he plays with passion and puts in hard work.

#935 saleem, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

wish i could believe that. I did prior to the series actually starting that the rockets finally had enough to take SA out but that series proved otherwise. there were definitely flashes in that series where the rockets showed they were the better team on nights but the overall commitment and execution needed is not something Houston currently has. given the fact that they were missing their best player in the latter games of the series and still losing, makes it that much more apparent. theres definitely talent as well as leadership pieces missing needed to beat a spurs team 4 times

Vivi and saleem like this.
  17. Vivi

Vivi Member

I don't understand how we can believe we're better than the Spurs when we just lost 4-2 with them while they were without their best player in the last 60 minutes and their second/third best player being out for most of the series...i'd agree if you say we're not far or we're basically there in terms of talent (even though they have two stars basically, but LMA seems to be declining a bit), but as today we just lack the mental toughness and the winning mentality they have, which is a big part of being a contender.

YOLO likes this.
  18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it was a fluke. Very little of the Rockets game 5 and 6 struggles was a result of what the Spurs were doing, IMO. I think we beat the Spurs in a 7 game series 60-70 percent of the time.

19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Spurs aren't a threat. CP3 wants someone else to have some control of the ball besides him.

One would assume that he has realized he can't do it alone.

He would be the same de facto PG in SAS. Harden and CP3 make the Rockets a small tier below Cleveland and GSW. Adding Hayward or George would then set this team up for a battle royale in the WCF.

20. finsraider

finsraider Member

Just a thought...don't shoot me.

Houston In: George
    Minnesota In: Beverley, Gordon
    Indiana In: Wiggins, Rubio, HOU 2018 1st, Harrell

Minnesota then signs Millsap

Beverley
    Gordon
    Butler
    Millsap
    Towns