1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Griffin III

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by rockbox, Sep 24, 2011.

1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

RG3 has way too much talent for him to be out of the league. Prima donnas can stay in the league if they're good. RG3 just has to produce. A lot of prima donnas are borderline cocky, if not cocky, about their abilities. For some reason, RG3's confidence is shaky. He just needs to take a step back, see how good he has it, and he just has to perform.

It's too early to give up on the guy, as he is way too young.

Just like how people overhyped him in the first year, now they're just quickly throwing him under the bus.

He'll get it together.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

FYI - 1993 called and O-Dog wants his hairstyle back RG3.

3. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

From 2012
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/draftcaps19-vn4vq55-148026515.html

4. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I agree with everything you said. I thought it was a mistake to bench McCoy in favor of RG3. RG3 has looked absolutely horrible, and I don't think there would be a lot of teams lining up to trade for him. They certainly wouldn't want to give up very much for him. RG3 just isn't the same player he was before he got injured, and I'm thinking he may be done. It was his athleticism that really made him special, and now that appears gone.

5. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

It's really amazing how many sacks he has when all he does is throw sideways and check downs....it's just baffling. Gruden had to make the change; otherwise, his team was going to fully rebel. The receivers hate RG3. Garcon commented on the trick play 60 yard WR pass after the game shaking his head saying "that's what it has come to" bc the team simply cannot score with RG3 leading them. DeSean was tweeting "you can't do great things with regular people." RG3 is done in the NFL. He's been way too coddled and enabled by Dan Snyder. Shanny was ready to quit after 2012 because of RG3's attitude according to DC insiders. And I hate Shanny too because he's a weasel, but he knows football and Kyle was a very good coordinator who also was fed up with RG3. It just sucks for the Skins. Everything was so great in 2012, but after that Baltimore game and then the Seattle game, it was over. That guy doesn't exist anymore.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You guys are premature pronouncing him done. Give him a chance to absorb the shock of becoming a national punching bag. He's never faced this kind of opposition/humiliation before. Let the guy leave Washington, pick up the pieces and start from scratch somewhere else before pronouncing the corpse dead.

Oh, and Gruden needs to stop discussing Griffin in the press and keep the focus on Colt McCoy. Enough is enough.

7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

How many games of his have you watched? He's been terrible since his injury in year 1. His success was based off the Kyle system and the 1 read LB manipulation. Since that aspect of his game seems to be gone (which is partially his fault bc during the yr 1 off-season, he said he wanted to be Aaron Rodgers and not a zone-read guy), he's ineffective. He has no idea where the linebackers are. He has fundamental QB problems. See the scouting report from 2012 that I linked earlier.

He scrambled and threw the ball away here:
    [​IMG]
    https://twitter.com/czabe/status/535942453959065600/photo/1

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I watched nearly every game his rookie season. Since then, bits and pieces but enough to see him play very badly.

He must be done with no hope of recovery just because you say so. Nobody is disputing how bad he's been since since last season. That's not even the point. But your word rules and anybody that disagrees has never watched him because young QBs never change.

9. Nook

Nook Member

RG3 is worth a flyer, a third or 4th round pick.

However some of his issues don't usually just go away. He does not see the field well at all. He regularly misses seeing wide open receivers. When he has multiple open receivers he struggles deciding which one to throw to. He struggles picking up defenses and either checks down immediately or is sacked.

Off the field he doesn't take blame, he is disliked by his receivers because he doesn't get the ball to them when they are open. He is disliked by the line because he holds onto the ball too long.

As I said, if the Texans or another team take a flier on him it is a smart risk. He was effective in college and as a rookie. However keep in mind even as a rookie he was limited. The offense was very simple and he didn't throw a lot.

10. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Coming from one of his biggest fans in college, RG3 has no field vision and he is slow in his progressions. There needs to be video game simulator for quarterbacks to test their decision making speed.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Just wow! Incredibly harsh but factual.

From the article:
    With Robert Griffin III, it was always about more than just football...He often said too much or said the wrong things...too invested in his own image

It seemed like Griffin was running for president when he spoke to the press and they ate every word. Now, he's been dissected like a frog.

This is great theater.

14. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Not because I say so, but because both of his NFL head coaches gave up on him. You haven't watched his fall...it's been obvious that he's not an NFL starter.

From Jay Gruden's press conference after the Tamba Bay game:
    I'm trying to communicate to you that you are wrong, not because I say so, but because every rational Skins fan, Skins coach, and even his biggest supporter, Snyder who gave RG3 privileges and coddling that he did to no one else currently (Snyder is known to have favorites)...they have all given up on him because he is no longer the 2012 player due to injury. He doesn't have the QB skills to make up for what he lost. The only people who still believe in him are blind RG3 fans and those who haven't watched him fall. It's a sad fall.

Happy Thanksgiving.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Says more about the coach than the qb.
    When a coach is so willing to throw his qb under the bus .... Sounds a lot like
    "Don't blame me"!!!!!!!

Rocket River

16. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Gruden is just too honest as a rookie hc. Shanny just lied in public, but did the same thing when he benched him.

Have you read the articles?

I loved what RG3 did in 2012, even though the negative scouting reports were there. It's not personal. He's just not an NFL starting caliber QB. He could run the read option and manipulate the LBs and DEs and capitalize on his world class athleticism, but he lost it through injury bc of Shanny. He never had pocket skills, the ability to read the field, feel pressure, and make the right NFL level play consistently.

He's just done. The NFL moves on and he's had more room for error than Akili Smith, Brady Quinn, Manuel, Leinart, Harrington, Russell, Gabbert, Weeden, Ponder, Leaf....it's just time to move on.

17. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Read the link I posted on this page when u have time

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Respected Redskins beat reporter Jason Reid gives his behind the scenes knowledge of the RGIII situation

Wow.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Negative news. Negative news. More negative news. Cornball news. Negative. I still want him. High ass ceiling, position that is void of talent, young player, low price. Want.

20. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

What ceiling? Forget about the prima donna stuff and the not running plays that he doesn't like stuff (people who live in DC or follow the Skins know this). I honestly don't care about the baggage and media circus. It doesn't matter if his dad is in the locker room or he is friends with the owner. It doesn't matter that he doesn't want to known as as running QB, but rather an Aaron Rodgers. None of that matters. What matters is production.

Before the injury and combined with Kyle importing the Baylor system, RG3 was amazing and produced. The offense allowed for him to read the DE and manipulate the SAM, and just crush everyone with his out-of-this-world athleticism. He was touched by God. His fumbles overwhelming stayed with the offense. His throws didn't get picked. The seas parted for him to run.

He's no longer that person. Shanny senior ruined him. It was partially Robert's fault for being hard headed, but the coach played an obviously injured QB and broke him. He's no longer an out-of-this-world athlete. He's good-to-great, but not way above everyone else on the field. And because of that, it exposes his flaws that many have seen from before he even before he was drafted:
    He holds on to the ball too long.
    He can't go through progressions and read defenses fast enough.
    He has poor pocket presence.
    His medium ball is off-target.
    He doesn't have the skills and talent to be an NFL pocket passer.
    He takes the wrong number of steps on drop-backs.
    He reads the wrong side of the field.

If he was 2012 RG3, I'd take all that arrogance and prima donna attitude and say fine, it comes with the territory. I'd take him and pay a hefty price. He was so good, he could lift a terribly flawed team into the playoffs. Now, he's so bad, an offense cannot even function properly with him. It's been almost 2 years. The Redskins cannot score and function with RG3 at the helm. Even a completely mediocre Colt McCoy can make the offense move, with the same terrible offensive line.

RG3 is done. $20 tip jar bet that no team would trade a 3rd rounder for him. $100 tip jar bet that he won't start 16 games in the NFL (for the next 2 years I suppose). Somebody take the offer.