1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Griffin III

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by rockbox, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Griffin is done in Washington and unless he does some serious introspection ASAP soon, he may be out of the league within the next few years. (Or continuing injuries may be his doom.) He is definitely shaping up to be one of the biggest NFL busts in years.

Guy's a prima donna. He was probably that way at Baylor too...but winning has this way of sweeping toxicity under the rug.

I expect the Redskins to play much better and more inspired with Colt.

2. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I'm happy about this but it sucks that Colt had/has to play for his job against two division leading teams (Cowboys,Colts) while RG3 blew easy wins vs two last place teams (Vikings, Bucs)

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...cant-assess-the-rest-of-the-redskins-offense/

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...w--robert-griffin-iii-s-issues-214738329.html

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Asked a number of decision-makers this AM about Robert Griffin's trade value ... Consensus: mid-round pick; a 3 and change on the high end.</p>&mdash; Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/537616068672757760">November 26, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>An AFC exec: &quot;Beauty's in the eye of beholder. I'm sure on high end the (Redskins) ask for a 2 and settle for a 3, maybe a 4th.&quot;</p>&mdash; Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/537617439119654913">November 26, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>1 GM on Griffin trade value: &quot;He's a car that's been driven off the lot. Also, the dynamics of his contract drive price down at this stage.&quot;</p>&mdash; Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/537617795102801922">November 26, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Text from <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Redskins?src=hash">#Redskins</a> player this morning on Griffin benching/ McCoy starting: &quot;Production league. No production, gotta move on.&quot;</p>&mdash; Josina Anderson (@JosinaAnderson) <a href="https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/537617713300914176">November 26, 2014</a></blockquote>

#543 J.R., Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I don't know what his contract situation is but I'd take a flyer on him for a 4th round pick, no doubt. Don't think he fits the mold that O'Brien is looking for though.

5. likestohypeguy

6. Raven

Raven Member

Not worth a 3rd.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Apparently his contract situation sucks, ha. I assumed it was a simple rookie deal which is favorable even for a backup/project QB. I'd do a 3rd for him in a heartbeat.

He has a ton of warts. Work ethic and mental problems apparently. I've been hearing that he was a "weird guy" and heard him compared to Ricky Williams for 6 years now from people that have been around him in the past.

None of those problems change the fact that QB is a shallow position. Who exactly is good at QB these days? At least RG3 has upside and has shown flashes. He has the physical tools - and when I say physical tools I don't mean legs, I mean he's accurate, he has a quick release and can sling it downfield. He's book smart. The right coach would welcome that project in a heartbeat.

And I don't necessarily agree that he wouldn't be an O'Brien type QB. O'Brien values intelligence and accuracy. RG3 has that. He just needs to get his head on straight, mature and stop taking his talent for granted. RG3 also needs a coach that wont try to fit him into a strict box. Someone open minded. Like O'Brien.

If we went into 2015 with Mallett, RG3, a 1st or 2nd round QB and Savage, I'd actually think we had a pretty damn good shot at having the long term answer to QB on the roster. Investing 4 high value roster spots and cap space on 4 QB's is worth it IMO, the position is that important.

Of all the reasonably attainable QB's mentioned over the years - Henson, Sanchez, Castle, Cousins, Leinart, etc... RG3 probably has by far the highest ceiling.

#547 Ziggy, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  8. conquistador#11

it's always fun looking back at our original comments. I was silly for believing the texans could get him in the 2nd round. then again, now you can probably land him with a 3rd round pick. All this not committed to the game and attitude issues are all new to me but it happens. The shannahans took him from dork status to king status to no status.

9. Pete the Cheat

that depends on if Rick Smith is the one using it...

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I didn't think Griffin's arm was so dependent on his legs, but apparently so.

Once that went, it was all over.

Not to mention the rest of the NFL (particularly the NFC) adapted to the read-option.

I don't know about this whole lockerroom or coach killer business, but Griffin does appear to have been deified and coddled... add in the fact that his other-worldly athletic ability probably made life easy for him in college... and it kind of makes sense where the work ethic issues have come from.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Agree with the work ethic stuff... but I still don't think his passing game is built around his ability to run.

He ran more under Shannahan than he did Briles. RG3 averaged about 25 rushing yards per game his final 2 years at Baylor. And he was breaking off 8-12 yarders more so than he was scrambling 7 times to get there. I will say -- his legs seemed to help him most in the redzone, but I think that's a favorable attribute to have in the NFL, not a crutch.

It's not like Jay Gruden is some amazing, proven head coach or offensive genius. His last name has gotten him further than anything he has done on the field IMO. A change of scenery and the right offense might help. That's not something you can say about the typical young QB castoff.

Andy Reid. Chip Kelly. I think they'd be excited to have him.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Ain't no way the Redskins would trade him to Philly, but Chip Kelly would be the guy for RG3 in the NFL to give him the best chance to succeed.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

Seems like a test spin would be more valuable than a Colt re-tread. Agree with those saying Gruden wants a fesh start with a new qb. RGIII is done. Keep in mind his father went with pocket qbs successfully most of his career.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

:confused:

Freshman: 14 runs per game, 70 yards per game
    Junior: 11.5 runs per game, 49 yards per game
    Senior: 14 runs per game, 54 yards per game
    NFL Rookie: 8 runs per game, 54 yards per game

I think it's pretty clear the run threat was a huge part of what made his arm so dangerous. He could heave it down the field 50 yards in stride like it was nothing. Safeties were basically SOL.

Now that ship has sailed both strategically and physically for him, and his lack of preparation/work as a true QB (plus the fact his coaches and teams have pretty much sucked) has come home to roost.

15. Major

Major Member

I'm not sure what's going on with Griffin, but I don't think the NFL has necessarily figured out the read-option. Russell Wilson is using it brilliantly this year - he's now 15th in the NFL in rushing yards and has 3 100-yard rushing games. Ever since Tannehill started running it, it's changed Miami's offense (though he does it far more sparingly). I'm not sure if Washington isn't running it to protect him, or if he doesn't trust his legs or is second guessing himself or what.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Dheym, I was wrong on the rush yards count. I still feel like Griffin has the tools you look for and that alone makes him a high ceiling project worth a flyer. And if he needs to run, let him run. We're talking QB. There are no good QB's. Anywhere. You jump at the chance.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Running isn't the problem with Griffin. Russell Wilson and other QBs have the sense to slide before getting hit. Until RG3 learns to run without getting concussed or exposing his knees, he should not run or his career will end quickly.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He's kind of a moron but worth taking a look at for the Texans

19. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I like you as a poster, but I can tell you haven't watched Skins football this year. He's terrible. He's absolutely terrible...a shot fighter. He can't see the field and holds on to the ball way too long. He can't throw down field with confidence. He has more than twice as many sacks as Cousins, in half as many drop backs. They went with the Tim Teebow playbook and he still sucked. His teammates don't believe in him....they don't believe he can make progressions and think on his feet. He was great 2 years ago with the world class athleticism and making 1 read, but he's not the same athlete. Shanny killed him and he might have been killed anyways without Shanny. He doesn't know how to protect himself.

20. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I agree He doesnt have a quick release, actually he hangs to the ball too much, he doesnt read his progressions, he doesnt read what defense are showing, maybe he always wants to throw it downfield and make the big play, and if the WR that is going deep is covered, he doesnt know what to do with the ball.

well, we already a guy like that on defense with Clowney, we dont need another player with that description.