1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Griffin III

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by rockbox, Sep 24, 2011.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Wow he is putting up some sick numbers this season. Heisman candidate for sure.

2. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

This isn't premature at all.

3. rockbox

Well maybe premature, but he scares me more than any in college football this season. You could totally outclass baylor in every category and still lose the game on a couple of broken plays where he just lights you up for six.

#3 rockbox, Sep 24, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  4. rockbox

He on his way on having second game of the season where he had more touchdowns than incompletions.

#4 rockbox, Sep 24, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

So far this season, he has 13 TD passes, 12 incompletions, zero INTs and 12 yard per attempt. Not to mention he's a dynamic runner in a pinch.

What a story. Can't wait to see how he does when their schedule gets tougher.

6. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Whats the heisman race looking like so far?

7. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

If there is such a thing as Heisman talk this early in the season, then he certainly deserves consideration. I certainly think my Ags are going to have fits with him on Oct 15th and am very worried about that game solely because of him.

8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

“Robert Griffin is one of the greatest I have ever seen as a player and a coach,” Rice coach David Bailiff said. “What he is and what he worked himself into this season compared to last season is just frightening with where he can take his game.”

9. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

what he's done thus far is pretty absurd, but I'm trying not to buy into the hype until their schedule gets tougher

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah, he's pretty good. ;)

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

He runs like Micheal Vick
    He throws like Tom Brady
    He graduated in 3 years, will get a Masters and plans to go to law school
    He does a huge amount of charity work
    I tuned in to a whole Baylor/Rice game just to watch him play

12. rockbox

The thing that impresses me most is the interceptions or lack there of. He has proven in his other seasons that he takes care of the ball pretty well. I haven't watched enough to know how well he will do as a pro quarterback but he looks to be the most exciting player in CFB this year.

13. rockbox

OK after watching this video from the TCU game, I have to say he is going to be a first round pick for sure. Luck will be the first pick because he's a prototypical NFL QB. Griffin has an NFL arm, great pocket presence, and he has very good touch.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xURPOglz7hQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#13 rockbox, Sep 25, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/sports/solomon...n-embraces-expectations-2196045.php#loopBegin

Robert Griffin III is so spectacular that it might be more difficult for opposing coaches to describe just how good he is than for them to devise ways to stop him.

The latter has proved to be near impossible. The former has produced some gems.

The latest comes courtesy of Kansas State coach Bill Snyder, whose Wildcats face Griffin and the Baylor Bears on Saturday afternoon. Snyder says Griffin "is the modern-day Jim Thorpe with better speed."

Griffin is that amazing.

Simply, there is not a more exciting football player in the country, and there isn't a better quarterback in the state of Texas. (That includes Messrs. Schaub and Romo.)

Off the field, Griffin is a dean's list student who earned a degree in political science in three years and had to be talked out of enrolling in law school this fall. Kind of difficult to be a first-year law student and a big-time college quarterback, but if anyone could do it, Griffin could. Instead, he is working on a master's in communications.

The more wonderful things said about him, the more Griffin expects from himself. Notice and nods of approval, Griffin says, are good things.

"It's a good thing for me and my teammates," he said in a phone interview. "You work hard to be good at what you do, and whenever a light is shined on what you've accomplished or are trying to accomplish, you see that the hard work pays off.

"We know we will continue to get the exposure as long as we continue to do the things that we're supposed to do. The exposure should only make you work harder."

The Bears are off to a 3-0 start, with victories over TCU, Stephen F. Austin and Rice, and have crept up to No. 15 in the Associated Press Top 25 poll. It is the highest Baylor has been ranked since 1991 - the last season in which the Bears opened with four consecutive wins.

Olympic-caliber athlete

The fourth-year junior, who was an Olympic Trials semifinalist in the 400-meter hurdles the summer after he graduated from Copperas Cove, dodges defenders with that sprinter's speed, but he doesn't duck Baylor's reputation as a program that can't run with the big boys.

"We've been talked bad about long enough around here so that when people say good things about you, you have to embrace it," he said. "There is one sure way to make people say good things about a football team: win games."

Doing it in impressive fashion doesn't hurt, either. The Bears have scored 40 points or more in three consecutive games for the first time in school history, and they rank second nationally in total offense.

At the top of Baylor's list of eye-popping statistics is an astounding one from Griffin, who leads the nation in pass efficiency. Griffin has thrown more touchdown passes (13) than incomplete passes (12) this season.

Feel free to back up and read that one again. It is that remarkable.

Griffin has completed 70 of 82 passes for 962 yards, compiling those numbers despite sitting out the fourth quarter of the last two games. He has yet to throw an interception. Not unusual since he began his career with an NCAA-record 209 passes without a pick.

"What makes Robert different is his competitive nature," Baylor coach Art Briles said. "That's really the thing that I respect about him a whole lot. He's a fierce, fierce competitor.

"If you play any sport … if there are two guys arm wrestling and they're equal, the one that is more competitive is going to win. The thing that helps Robert is that he is blessed with a lot of talent to go along with that competitive spirit."

Bears relevant again

The 6-2, 220-pound Griffin, who has set 42 school records (and counting), has lifted the Bears into the national spotlight. There was a time when Baylor's being ranked wasn't front-page news. That was before Griffin was born.

"There are a lot of reasons I came to Baylor University - great academics and coach Briles are among them - but believing in doing something special was the big thing about coming here," Griffin said. "Big things haven't been done here in a long time, and we want to change that.

"We want to set the foundation and build something. It's not like adding a window on a house that was already built. It is more like doing it from the ground up."

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Communications, law school, same ****.

16. rockbox

RGIII looks like Colt McCoy on steroids. Bigger, faster, stronger arm, and smarter. I'm totally on the band wagon.

17. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

how does that description resemble Colt Mccoy then buddy?

18. rockbox

Quick, mobile, throws well on the run, accurate, good pocket presence, take care of the ball.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

RG3 reminds me of Kordell Stewart.

(The way he plays/his skill set, not his production)

20. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

No matter how you crutch the comparison, it doesnt fit DM..lol... Besides RG is a real QB prospect, Kordell was a "/"...