1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Revisiting the NBA right's players (Rockets)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vince, May 2, 2010.

1. vince

vince Member

http://www.draftexpress.com/rankings/NBA-Rights-Held/

Sergio Llull, PG is age 22 is listed at #6
    Lior Eliyahu, SF is age 24 is listed at #22
    Maarty Leunen, PF is age 24 is listed at #27
    Brad Newley, SG is age 25 is listed at #29

All of the above are 2nd round projects the Rockets have.

I think Sergio Llull would be ready to come in a major trade for Chris Bosh. Either as trade bait or as a guy who would step in and play for the Rockets. Depending on how badly the Rockets want Bosh, could Aaron Brooks be included in a trade?

I think Lowry and Llull would make for an interesting tandem at PG. Llull has taken a huge step forward in European basketball. The guy is legit.

As for the other guys on the list, I think they are plateauing at the level of basketball they are playing in. Don't expect any of them to make a leap toward the NBA? Though Leunen would be cool to watch shooting 3 pointers. The guy hits on 47.5% of his attempts, and he takes 4.4 per game.

What are your thoughts? Who on the list makes it to the NBA? And in what order? If any?

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Llull is legit. I hope he is brought in in the case of a Brooks trade (which better be damn good...)

The jury is out on Leunen... I think you can probably write off Newley.

3. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Whatever happened to the Rockets' rights to Malik Baidane? I may have jacked up the spelling, but wasn't he supposed to eventually become part of the Rockets?

This could have been under CD.

4. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

just cuz hes a beast over in Europe doesn't mean he can ball over here.

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

But at least he is good enough to bring over here to get a better look. ;)

6. worzel gummidge

Newley's currently competing in the Turkish league playoffs. The team he's up against has Ricky Davis on the roster.

http://www.tblstat.net/pd.asp?p=1584

Badiane's rights were traded to Memphis. Grizzlies signed him to a training camp contract but he waived him before the season began.

7. Codman

Thanks, was that part of the Battier/Gay trade?

8. worzel gummidge

The complicated one involving Bonzi.

9. Codman

Wow, it's been awhile, I guess.

I thought we traded both Mike James and Bonzi to the Hornets.

10. arubato

arubato Member

From wiki:

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Honestly I think Llull should move up to number 3 behind childress and rubio. Splitter and Vazquez are better prospects, but what are the chances of them coming over to the NBA? Since they're talking about NBA Rights held instead of the players I'm assuming they're ranking the rights based on the "value" they hold. In that regard, Splitter and Vazquez are like lottery tickets and should be bumped down. Sure they might come here, but what are the chances of that happening? If Vazquez didn't come to the NBA for the 10th spot I doubt anything will convince him to come. Same goes for Splitter, unless you probably commit major money to him and paying cash upfront for a player when you don't know how he will translate to the NBA is a bad idea (i.e. Andersen). Linas Klezia didn't really impress me even when he was here so I don't think Llull should be under him either.

12. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

i do not want us to trade brooks!

he is the point guard of the future!

13. Nero

Nero Member

Maarty rocked last summer, I think he deserves a legit look, and Llull, well, we need to see him over here.

1 person likes this.
  14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

He is a good undersized 2 guard. That is all he is, nothing more and nothing less. If trading him gets us Bosh, then we drop him like a brick.

Llull does seem to be very good. The kid plays inside the flow of the game, much like most European players. I am excited to see what this taller hybrid of AB and Lowry can do.

15. edwardc

edwardc Member

Trading brooks is just crazy there no way i would trade any of the young guys on this team the rockets maybe one or two players a way from something good .

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Llull is the only one on that list that will play in the NBA. We already had Marty Leunen, he just went under the name of Steve Novak.

17. vince

vince Member

Take a look at some of Llull's highlights on you tube!!! Very exciting player.

18. da_juice

da_juice Member

I think we're gonna bring over Llull to play backup to brooks and send lowry elsewhere

19. alethios

alethios Member

Steve Novak with better defense and hustle, that is. A true Van Gundy style player.

20. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

I think Eliyahu is worth a look. See: Ilyasova on the Bucks this year.