1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Resolved: it is possible to support Donald Trump

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Apr 1, 2020.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

...and wish his administration success in combating the CoronaVirus, and vote for his opponent in November.

Affirmative?
    Opposed?

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I think it is possible, his administration mishandled this crisis from the start, but hopefully he has learned his lesson and follow the advise of real experts instead of fox and friends. He took a good step when he extended the stay at home advisory, I wish him the best at dealing with this crisis in the future. I do think we need someone more competent and less political next term.

3. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

For any sane human being, yes. I'm rooting for our country to win which means supporting the president as long as he's keeping us the people at the heart of his decision making.

BallaDoc, jcf, RayRay10 and 1 other person like this.
  4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It's also possible to criticize Trump.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yes. He's fighting an uphill battle of his own doing though.

BallaDoc, SWTsig and RayRay10 like this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've said this before. I want Trump to succeed in this crisis because if he doesn't he takes us all down. I took some heat in another thread agreeing that 100K - 200K potential US deaths was a sign of progress and yes that is a sign of progress given that the worst case scenario is 2.2 million. If the worst case scenario happens this will be crippling to not just our country but to the World. In my view Trump hasn't done a good job but he hasn't doomed us. He's hampered the cause almost as much as he's helped but there has been progress made.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't criticize him and other political leaders. We need to responsibility and honesty from our leaders to get through this.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Of course it's possible. trump not succeeding means hundreds of thousands...or millions... of people die, we remain in lockdown, and the economy is destroyed.

jcf and RayRay10 like this.
  8. conquistador#11

It should be. Nobody wants your abuelitas and abuelitos to die. Ok almost everybody doesn't

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It would seem the only reason to make this thread would be to insulate the president from criticism. Of course we all want him to succeed. Of course we'll support him in his efforts to control the virus. But much like with the anti-war movement during Vietnam, supporting the president does not include refraining from criticizing when he makes bad decisions or executes poorly. We need him to be accountable for his leadership. Supporting a bad strategy is the worst possible thing we can do. And he's generally pointed in the right direction right now and I support him. I'll forgive the little stupid stuff he does. It's the big things, like saying we'll be open for business by Easter that needs to get loudly booed.

Mazulis, BallaDoc, joshuaao and 9 others like this.
  10. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Basically been thinking this since he was sworn in.

SWTsig, Andre0087 and Invisible Fan like this.
  11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

It's too late now. The deaths and spread are going crazy. People aren't listening to the stay at home order.

12. basso

Supporting Member

not at all. i also think it's unreasonable to expect him to be perfect. setting aside his rhetorical approach however, i don't have any major issues with how he's handled things. there were some teething problems to be sure, but much of the criticism has seemed overheated.

also, i was #NeverTrump long before it was cool.

Astrodome likes this.
  13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Was wondering where the next trump supporter safe room was going to be built...

peleincubus likes this.
  14. Invisible Fan

The issue for people on the other side is that they don't see positive Trump pieces by the same reporters or talking heads that criticize him. There's almost no credit where it's due.

My issue with that issue is that they've inoculated themselves to his pettiness, nastiness, infantile name calling and tweet trolling (mostly because they're not his targets), that it's deliberately harder for responsible journalists to do their jobs when there's an endless shotgun of shitpellets streaming out of every possible Trump orifice for the sole and lazy purpose of gaining attention and views.

Anyways, I don't know if OP thinks the people here are the same way or is some kind of heat check.

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, Trump gave the virus a one month head start. His stream of lies about it doesn't inspire confidence in the populace. He's doing a poor job as a leader and has done so from before this even started when he closed down the office for Pandemic response and cut funding.

That being said, I do hope he takes the necessary actions to handle this situation in the best and most successful way possible going forward from this. South Korea got their first case the same day we did. Their leader took immediate action and it has paid off for them. Our leader did not and instead instilled doubt in many that the virus is a legitimate threat.

I will give Trump props for going back on his idea of getting everything open by Easter. That was a wise move, and he made it. I give him credit for doing that.

AleksandarN and RayRay10 like this.
  16. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Of course you don't. Just like you didn't have any "major issues" with Bush's shitshow in Iraq. It's who you are.

peleincubus and FranchiseBlade like this.
  17. basso

Supporting Member

i actually haven't followed the debate in the D&D on this issue, so i don't know how folks here have presented their thoughts.

18. Invisible Fan

Fair enough

19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Well, I think almost everyone here has been supportive of the president and his policies. And... except for a really slight hiccup early on, they are especially supportive of his handling of the Coronavirus issue.

20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I care about human life not about being able to say "I told you so". So I want the Trump administration to do well at managing this crisis. I want to stop shaking my head every time he talks.

BallaDoc, basso and FranchiseBlade like this.