1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Remember this, we are trying to add two primary stars.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jun 18, 2019.

1. basketballholic

Not just one.

So in your trade machinations for Butler or whoever you have to consider that we'r don't want to get locked down without a way to trade for another primary guy.

This is why we will likely have a resolution to the Butler saga by June 30. Because for us to be able to get Butler and someone else we have to trade for Butler with him opted in to that 19 million salary.

That would leave us with Capela's contact plus a possible sign and trade of Shump and current minimum salaries for salary to send out for another star level player.

#1 basketballholic, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    JuNx, arubato, vlaurelio and 4 others like this.
  2. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Yeah that’s just not happening.
    Morey is hoping for one more star, and his only hope is Butler. And if Butler doesn’t choose us, which is the only deciding factor, then he’s bringing back the same starting 5 and hoping he can add one key bench player and retaining a few of our own.

Not only did he say that specifically (except mentioning Butler by name), it’s the only realistic feasible thing to do.

lw17, napalm06, Riz and 5 others like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

they can certainly try. not surprising when you're dealing with morey but tbh houston will be lucky to get one "primary star"

4. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

Two primary stars to CP3 and Harden??

[​IMG]

5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Horford or Love would become the next targets. Horford would be sooner and Love would be later when Shump became trade-able. I'm of the mindset that if we add Butler, Morey is going to take a huge gamble in going all in for what may be our best shot at a championship in Harden's tenure here. He clearly doesn't see the Lakers as a real threat. The Warriors are to us what LeBron was to Raptors. There is a mental hurdle that neither team could clear. Any other threat is nothing compared to that. The Bucks were the prohibitive favorites at the start of their series and the Raptors just dismantled them.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am not sure the Rockets can get 2 more *stars*. But if they can get Butler and 1 more *playoff rotation player* like JaMychael Green then that is a good haul. That gets you to 6 playoff rotation guys. Then need to get lucky to add 1 or 2 Vet Min guys that are *playoff worthy.*

Ideally getting to 8 *playoff worthy rotation* guys is what they need. But if they can get to 7 then, ok. The Raptors were reduced to 7 guys with Norm Powell being the 8th.

JuNx, Richie_Rich, Nook and 8 others like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

butler is already a huge feat in itself to get him here. and getting love here would be done how after butler. I really just don't see a plausible or realistic avenue to get that done.

8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I'm not sure we get Butler. If we get Butler I think he changes everything. If Butler opts out and goes elsewhere, I see Morey making some trades to get some long young wings. If he opts in and forces a trade here. Ego , Nene and Picks. Then Morey has a clear cut way to add another high level guy using Capela and non guaranteed contracts now (Horford) or Capela and Shumpert later (Love).

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

im already expecting a strikeout for obvious reasons and morey is just focused on finding a mle wing and bringing back rivers. and maybe a serviceable big to replace nene somehow

Wulaw Horn, saleem and treyk3 like this.
  10. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I expect Butler to opt in and trade but I'm also a homer. Morey just seems to be too cocky. This is "up my sleeves" 2.0.

If he doesn't opt in, i won't be surprised either.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

not to say Morey won't swing. We all know by now he will.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. BigBum

BigBum Member

It’s feasible if horford first year salary at 19 million.

Both deals are good. It’s affordable. 19+19.

vlaurelio, hakeem94 and Highlyrated like this.
  14. tc0330

tc0330 Member

I do enjoy your optimism

basketballholic likes this.
  15. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Gordon + Nene for Butler Opt-in and trade (so Sixers get a shooter rather than lose Butler for nothing)
    Capela + Picks for Horford Opt-in and trade (so Boston can go younger with Tatum, Brown, Capela, Rozier, Smart)
    MLE on Player X

Boom, two stars. This is the rosiest most optimistic scenario I can think of that has more than 0% likelihood (but probably less than 1% likelihood to be fair).

16. BigBum

BigBum Member

It’s about love.
    Both players love rockets, both eastern teams love rockets.

vlaurelio and hakeem94 like this.
  17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Horford is opting out, fwiw.

18. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

presumably this would be CP3 all over again where reports are that he is opting out, and then he opts in instead. like i said, unlikely, but possible.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Everyone is obsessed with this idea that we are going to sign and then eventually trade Shumpert. How often have we seen that executed for someone as average as Shump? First of all it would have to be like a 1 year $20 million dollar contract. That’s insane enough (yes possible but insane). And then tell me what happens if they don’t find a star to deal him for? Say December rolls around and Kevin Love goes down with an injury. Then what? There are no such things as people agreeing to trades now for December, so it would be a pretty big gamble. I just don’t see that happening much.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

Riz likes this.