1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Really don't get the rockets??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Samiam1234, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Samiam1234

Samiam1234 Member

how are we the most efficient offence off all time.. averaging almost 120 ppg.. We are 11th in field goal %, 14% in 3pt field goal %, 19th in free throw shooting, we are 7th highest in terms of most turn overs committed.. and every time Harden brings the ball up I feel we will have an 8 second violation, so we are definetely not a fast pace run and gun offense... I see it, I just don't get it..

I get we take remarkable amount of 3 pointers but at a percentage good enough to put us 14th in the league... thats strictly average at best.. it puzzles me.. If we are so good at our average percentage, why don't teams like cleveland, warriors, spurs, wizards and clippers shoot more at their elite percentage

DudeWah and napalm06 like this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Are you asking for the math of ORtg to be explained? Maybe look in the other thread about it.

In a nutshell

We are 3rd all-time in 2P% at 55.2%.
    And we shoot the most 3s and FTs of all time

Shots at the rim, 3s and FTs.

And btw...out of the Top 20 ORtgs teams in history, we are average in TOV% at #9.

oakdogg, DonKnock, mikol13 and 2 others like this.
  3. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/yesterday-a-win-for-analytics.280870/

#1 in 3PA
    #1 in FTA
    #5 in FGAs within 3 feet
    #2 in FG% on FGAs within 3 feet

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2017.html

oakdogg and BigMaloe like this.
  4. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

My mind is in a bottle

BigMaloe likes this.
  5. heypartner

GSW and CLE shoot at a super high volume. And the other teams, I assume, just don't get open enough, because they are designed for other types of systems.

Saying why not shoot more 3s if you're making them at 40% is like telling MDA to do more alley-oops since Capela is shooting 66% on them. (I made up that number, just to make a point, but I'm sure it's close.). And the football analogy would be, Why not run every play if you average 4 yards a carry.

MorningZippo likes this.
  6. Samiam1234

Samiam1234 Member

that does make we feel a bit better.. I dont think many teams can lead in three point shooting and free throw shooting.. You need to have special players and a special system that can do this.. We all know rox get any where from 6-12 free throws just by drawing fouls on the three point line..

To tell you the truth I am pleasantly happy that we are doing so well being such a mediocre shooting club.. this tells me we have an amazing system, yet we can make improvements, and even on nights where we shoot badly we still get wins.

napalm06 and BigMaloe like this.
  7. 1Deep

1Deep Member

Don't try to understand it. Just enjoy it.

8. Samiam1234

Samiam1234 Member

I get what you are saying.. but rockets take alot of shots where they are not wide open, and shooting is a pretty easy thing to do... its the easiest play in basketball.. and all these other teams have good ball movement as well.

oakdogg likes this.
  9. dharocks

Every other team doesn't shoot only uncontested threes. There just aren't a lot of teams that can put 4 above average-to-very good shooters on the floor at one time (not to mention guys who can comfortably shoot it from as deep a distance as Gordon and Anderson). If you try to run our system without the personnel, your offense ends up like Brooklyn's.

BigMaloe likes this.
  10. heypartner

They don't take anymore tightly guarded 3s than anyone else. You can look that up. NBA . Com supplies the numbers. And we have equal ability to get the defense moving with player motion as any of those teams, albeit we take the first shot more often. And we have ball motion once it leaves Hardens hands just fine. We also play classic 5-Out motion that GSW runs a lot.

You appear to glamorize one system of getting the defense to move over another.

Ball Movement motion systems is just one in a class of motion systems and attack systems like Triangle. We get the defense moving and picking poisons just fine...hence the 3rd all time best 2P% in history.

But what does ball movement motion systems have to do with your OP question. The Magic team with the record wasn't noted for ball movement.

MorningZippo and BigMaloe like this.
  11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Really hope the Rockets look in to Joe Ingles/JJ Reddick in the off season.

One more shooter please.

I want Sam Dekker's minutes eaten up if he doesn't learn how to shoot the ball.

12. dharocks

I don't see how that happens if we sign the two guys you suggest. Dekker plays what, 90% of his minutes at PF? I don't see how an unathletic 33-year-old 6'4" SG or an unathletic 30-year-old wing eats up his minutes. Plus, why wouldn't a 23-year-old who's just gotten his first real taste of NBA minutes improve his shooting? Parsons certainly did.

No offense, but this whole post reads like crazy-talk to me.

DudeWah likes this.
  13. threepointshot3

I like Ingles. Really intelligent player with a nice shot on him. Plus he can defend anyone from the PG to the PF on the opposition.

BigMaloe likes this.
  14. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Yeah people are kinda sleeping on ingles. He's good.

He is a decent passer and is more athletic than his extremely old white dude bod portrays. Also a lefty and absolutely money from deep.

Would absolutely replace all of dekker minutes with Ingles. He is also the superior defender. Super super underrated.

mikol13 and threepointshot3 like this.
  15. dharocks

He's going to be 30 though. And a RFA. It would almost certainly take serious money to get him (even more if Hayward leaves), and Dekker's seven years younger and much more likely to improve. I just can't get on board with the idea unless Ariza gets moved or something.

16. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

It is highly likely that all of those teams, if they took as many 3s as the Rockets, would shoot a lower percentage than they do now. It's not like the Rockets are shooting a mediocre percentage for lack of shooters. Harden, Beverley, Ariza, Anderson, Lou, Gordon can all shoot. But when you go from shooting three per game to shooting eight...

Plus, some of those teams have offensive options that they think they would be neglecting if they focused on 3s as much as us.

17. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

He will be solid for the next 4 to 5 years. It really would be a great fit with Harden and its time the Rockets start signing better shooters.

This team can't afford to have a weak link if it wants to beat the top teams in the league. They are really hindered right now when Dekker is getting minutes and his shot is off.

BigMaloe likes this.
  18. dharocks

But again. Dekker is 22. Ingles is 30 next year. I'd rather bet on Sam getting better and improving his shot than on Ingles still being a solid NBA rotation player through his 30s. If Oppenheimer can help Sam pull a Parsons and gets his 3 point shot into the 37-38% range next year, he'll be a much better player at a fraction of the cap number.

19. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

He's a better defender. The better passer. And the most efficient 3pt shooter in the league this year.

His game isn't based on athleticism so being 30 doesn't bother me. I would love him at 12-15mill per and be happy with 15-18mill per.

I don't want to lose dekker and I agree he will improve. But replacing him with Ingres is crazy good.

20. dharocks

That's so much money for a 20mpg player. Especially when we have a perfectly competent alternative making 1/10 of that, who could easily be just as good defending and passing the ball as soon as next season (and potentially 75-80% as good shooting). Also, are we sure Ingles would be as effective on defense playing 80-90% of his minutes at PF? He's certainly not in Dekker's class as a rebounder.

Why not just try to steal Korver for a much smaller financial commitment?