1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ready The Clown Car: The First Batch of Democrats Are Ready To Announce Their 2020 Bids

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Jan 1, 2019.

1. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Pochahontas takes the lead in another national poll:

IBD/TIPP: Warren 27, Biden 26, Sanders 10, Buttigieg 7

In the RCP Poll average, Biden is holding on to a 0.3 point lead, which is a dead heat. It appears that Warren could be on the verge of taking the lead in the poll average prior to the next Democrat debate next week on October 15. If she does, Biden's claim to inevitability will have been officially shattered, and that four months before the primary voting begins.

It is hard to go all in on predicting that Warren will win the nomination, because she is such a phenomenally weak candidate. But even though Biden is clinging to a very narrow lead, it is not hard at all to predict that he is probably finished and will very likely not be the nominee for the Democrats in 2020.

Silent_Bob likes this.
  2. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

You should stop with that Pochahontas crap.

3. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Make me.

Silent_Bob likes this.
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

5. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

I can’t make you into a better person. You are right on that part

London'sBurning and B-Bob like this.
  6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

President Pocahontas...say it...get used to it...

7. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Hillary Clinton, stirring the pot, with regards to the possibility of her running again, after President Trump encouraged her publicly to get into the race:

So, she obviously is thinking about it. But will she run?

Nook and Os Trigonum like this.
  8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Warren has officially surpassed Biden in the RCP polling averages (by a hair).... and for the moment is the leading dem candidate.

It's sad for me that it's not Bernie, but Warren pulling past Biden is still such a great relief.

B-Bob likes this.
  9. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Do you think Joe Biden still has a chance given that there are no other candidates of note who are perceived to be on the more "moderate" end of the spectrum in this contest?

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He obviously still has a chance, a damn good one *currently* as he's only a fraction of a percentage below Warren right now, but the trends obviously don't look good for him if they continue. What your asking is, do I think people voting for all the non-Sanders/Warren candidates will eventually back Biden once everybody drops out - due to him being moderate?

Not necessarily, the clear moderates are who exactly? Pete, Klobuchar, Bennett, and Steyer. Yes, I think Biden will likely take in most of their supporters, but at the same time, identity politics play a role, there's likely a good chunk of Klobuchar followers who will go to Warren due to her being a woman, there may be a small chunk of Pete followers who wanted to vote progressively for a gay man, and will then turn to a women over and old white man in Biden. I hate identity politics with a passion personally, but they simply are a major factor for people who don't closely follow politics and actual policies.

At the same time, Harris/Yang/O'Rourke/Castro/Gabbard all lean more left than moderate, and I think most of their support will be taken in by Warren and Bernie. Warren has been feasting on Kamala's base.

Then there's the question of what will happen with Bernie if Warren clearly begins to run away. Policy-wise, clearly his base should support Warren, but again identity politics and name recognition are strong factors, so I'm sure most of his voters will go Warren, but I'm not sure if it will be an overwhelming percentage.

What I think will continue to hurt Biden the most, isn't the fact that he's not progressive enough (which is certainly my biggest issue with him), I think it's just his presence on the debate stage. He's just not fit to be running and everyone is seeing it. Warren has been the candidate to fill his space, she's progressive, but not perceived as far left as Bernie (which helps with moderates), she's new, she's a woman, she's sharp and she's just doing a great job campaigning and it's showing.

RayRay10 and MojoMan like this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

John Smith going to jail.

Ottomaton likes this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

13. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

14. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Chris Cillizza at CNN is getting a little twitchy about the possibility of Hillary Clinton running again, with her engaging in a twitter exchange with President Trump about this very topic.

Hillary Clinton is joking about running again in 2020, right?

Of course, there is always this fact to consider: Clinton would like to be president. And losing the White House to Trump -- while winning the popular vote by almost 3 million -- is not the sort of thing that she (or anyone) gets over. All of that is to say that if Clinton could simply be named the Democratic nominee, she would probably do it. That is not how nomination fights work, though. And there are still 19 candidates running in the race, meaning that voters have a choice of every size, shape and ideological positioning they could want.

Could I dream up a scenario where Clinton gets floated as a compromise candidate at some point down the line? Sure. If Elizabeth Warren looks like the nominee -- and jumpy Democratic establishment types worry she is too liberal to beat Trump -- Clinton could well be someone they would look to as a trusted vote-getter. But that's a long, long, long, long shot that likely wouldn't work anyway because the base of the party would rebel against the idea of trying to keep the nomination from Warren.

In short: Hillary Clinton's jokes about running for president in 2020 are just that: Jokes. At least, I think.​

15. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Hillary is not going to run again. We all know this. I don’t even think she really wanted to run in 2016. If you recall, she was a late entry into the field. I think she had to be talked into it.

Of course, by the end of it she wanted it and was, I’m sure, devastated that she won the election yet lost the White House because of the absurdity of the Electoral College.

I highly doubt she wants to go through with it all again. Especially, whenever Warren would likely be the nominee. Would be pretty humiliating to jump into the race and not secure the nomination.

16. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Tulsi Gabbard is threatening to boycott the debate next week, for which she narrowly managed to qualify, because she believes that the DNC is rigging the process, yet again. This is a refrain we seem to hear quite a lot about the DNC.

Tulsi Gabbard 'seriously considering' boycotting 'undemocratic' October debate

Tulsi Gabbard said she is weighing sitting out of Tuesday's Democratic presidential debate in order to bring attention to a debate process that she argues is undemocratic.

"The DNC and the corporate media are essentially trying to usurp your role as voters in choosing who our Democratic nominee will be," Gabbard said in a video released Thursday. "They are attempting to replace the roles of voters in the early states using polling and other arbitrary methods which are not transparent or democratic, and they're holding so-called debates which really are not debates at all but rather commercialized reality television meant to entertain, rather than to inform or enlighten."

"In order to bring attention to this serious threat to our democracy and to ensure that your voice is heard, I'm seriously considering boycotting the next debate on October 15th," Gabbard said. "I'm going to announce my decision within the next few days."​

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

She's desperate for attention.

Having qualifying rules is not "rigging."

This argument is so dumb. If 100 people were running should they have all 100 on the stage all the way to the convention? You have to have criteria at some point and 120k donors and 2% in polls seems pretty reasonable to get primetime tv spots.

Rashmon and Nook like this.
  18. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Say what you want, the DNC does have a history of trying to influence the outcome of this process.

19. Nook

Nook Member

I think the word you are looking for is "grifter" or perhaps "flimflam man".

He is part Joseph Smith.... with a splash of Huey Long...... a little Canada Bill Jones.....and a tinge of Joe Bananno.

Rashmon, mdrowe00 and B-Bob like this.
  20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

The DNC definitely favored HRC, a long-time party member, over BS, an only part-time and when-it-suits-him party member. It was too obvious.

This year? I really think they just want to winnow the huge field in some logical way. There are way too many candidates, many of whom have just about zero shot (including my guy, Yang, but also Tulsi G).