1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reaction to ESPN?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 13BeardsIN1, Oct 8, 2019.

1. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

I think the China saga is almost over now. I believe China will ban the NBA at least for this season.

But anybody else surprised that we haven’t heard from Rachel Nichols, Zach Lowe, Brian Windhorst? Maybe they come out with a piece later today but I am really surprised.

note: I do know that ESPN has financial ties with China too.

malakas likes this.
  2. CXbby

CXbby Member

Disney is heavily invested in China through its $5.5 billion Shanghai Disney resort, as well as China being a top grossing region for its entertainment products.

malakas and B-Bob like this.
  3. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

4. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Rachel Nichols is busy packing her luggage and calling Uber because she is currently in Shanghai but the games look like will be cancelled.

5. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

And the biggest of all : the Marvel brand and movies.

malakas likes this.
  6. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Stephen A spoke about it on his radio show.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Disney is controlled by their communist overlords, they aren't gonna say any more than they absolutely have to.

Americans need to get used to this because China is only growing more powerful, capitalism controlled by communism is gonna be our downfall. I hope the irony isn't lost on everybody.

ghettocheeze and malakas like this.
  8. Pringles09

Pringles09 Member

The jump is going to be broadcasting live from China today

9. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Embarrassingly so...

EDIT: I want to make sure I'm clear here. We're living in a time where you must make yourself clear and my two-word post didn't... I support democracy and Hong Kong and freedom-of-speech. Stephen A. was just ridiculously out of his depths while commenting on this yesterday and his take was just embarrassing. Here are the comments I'm specifically referring to:

“Daryl Morey, a good man, an exceptional executive, and a conscientious human being, what were you thinking speaking up on this issue? It’s about a multitude of people that extends far beyond yourself that you have compromised because you had this insatiable appetite to disseminate a tweet. You don’t know better than that? You don’t just think about yourself before you act. That’s what boys and girls do. That’s what children do. Daryl Morey had an obligation to think about the Houston Rockets organization and about the National Basketball Association before himself. You have an obligation to adopt and embrace the interest of those you collect a paycheck from.

The bold emphasis is mine. That is an absolutely asinine statement. Most folks don't get to pick and choose their employer from organizations that they can unilaterally support. It's like saying that because the founder and CEO of your company votes or contributes to a certain candidate, you should only speak publicly in support of said candidate.

Ok, edit over.

EDIT #2: Sorry @Inchan. Just saw your thread on this same subject.

#9 eric.81, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    Handles, joshuaao, randerson and 3 others like this.
  10. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

My Disney stock has gone down... but I am okay with that because I still have principles.

11. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

Well Stephen A has enough power to say whatever he wants there. I’m talking specifically basketball writers.

12. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

ESPN website has kinda hidden it away a bit...

13. kanariya

kanariya Member

Sorry she can't. China has no Uber just as no Facebook, Instagram, Google, Twitter, etc. But she can use Didi, Weibo, Baidu or Wechat.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

Didnt Disney skipped a bunch of their oldie films to push out Mulan remake quickly? They love their Chinese market and ESPN is losing money from cordcutters. ESPN cant say anything right now

15. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

all writers are having bosses or places that will cut them a paycheck.

so it is understandable none of them wanted to say anything at this point.

Guys like the senators or Clay Travis are different, they are tweeting on this subject based on their political agendas.

Its quite simple to understand.

16. malakas

malakas Member

ESPN has been silent in the past when it comes to purely sport related matters, let alone when it has to do with a matter like this.

Only SI, yahoo and the Ringer had the balls to really report on the situation and be critical on the NBA.

17. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member