1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Hey!

I want to give folks here a heads-up that playing on Turner Classic Movies at 11pm central tonight is what I consider an amazing film, director Michelangelo Antonioni's first English language flick from 1966, Blow-Up. I saw it when it came out, and while things might be different now, for many years it was nowhere to be found. It came out, played for a few weeks, and then disappeared. Couldn't be found on VHS, DVD's later, or anything else, and I looked. It's a murder mystery, starring David Hemings as a well known fashion photographer and Vanessa Redgrave, damn good looking back then. That's about all I'll say about it, except that unless it's been cut (it was the previous 2 times I've seen it since '66), it's "not safe for work." For nudity, with Hemings having crazy sex on the floor of his studio with 2 young "wannabe a model" girls at the same time, along with some other stuff.

See it tonight, or record it and watch it sometime. I'm doing both and since TCM says their films are uncut, I'll be checking on that. Highly recommended. Maybe it's just me, but I think it's a great film.

9/10

whiskeyred, mikol13 and GRENDEL like this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Coming out in the 1940s must have been so scary -- you are so brave -- please write a book about your adventures.

B-Bob likes this.
  3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Go clean your fur!

KingCheetah likes this.
  4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bohemian Rhapsody 10/10
    A Star is Born 8.5/10
    The Wife 7/10
    Green Book 10/10

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Coen Brothers' A Serious Man. 9/10

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Great call. Saw it last weekend with wife and daughter. Fantastic film, well-acted and written.

daywalker02 and deb4rockets like this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

watched Hostiles tonight. Wasn't expecting much, had heard iffy reviews, surprised at how much I liked it. Not much of a plot but terrific acting and beautiful cinematography. 8.5/10

GRENDEL likes this.
  8. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Just finished How To Train Your Dragon: Hidden World. It's definitely among the best animated franchises, second probably only to Toy Story. And this last installment was a satisfying conclusion. The only downside, if you've seen the previous films and the trailers, is that you know where this journey is heading, so it did feel a bit predictable. Plus the final battle wasn't as epic and intense as others. Still left a little lump in my throat at the end though.

I'd give the first film a 9/10, the second a 8/10 and this a solid 7/10.

9. cardpire

cardpire Member

Roma 3/10. can't believe that steaming pile of junk may win best pic.

10. Buck Turgidson

That good, huh? I'm planning on watching it one of these days.

Watched The Post last night. May have just been me, but man that was a snoozefest. Yes, it was an incredibly important story (and still timely 36 years later), and everything about it was just *fine*, but I don't get all the acclaim. It's like critics saw Bad Government, Free Press, Spielberg, Hanks, Streep and just couldn't help themselves from nominating it for all the awards. I couldn't help comparing it to Spotlight, which was fantastic and deserved all the press it got.

11. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Widows. I'd give it a 3.5/10. Wasted some good actors on a slow burn, but the boob shot was worth a solid half point.

12. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Bohemian Rhapsody: 7.5

Rami Malek was phenomenal, thought the movie was a great, gave it a lower rating because factually there was a number of things that were made up for the movie.

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Totally agree. Hanks as pirate was actually hard to watch at times.
    Here he is, first one to the lanyard.
    [​IMG]

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

Watching this gif for a straight minute is more entertaining than that movie.

B-Bob likes this.
  15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Mortal Engines 6.5
    There's so many things that could've went right for this movie but didn't because it's playbook for cliches and tropes are 15 years too late.... The unassuming goofball protagonist that fumbles his way into being a hero. The drab and uninviting future universe which can excite some sci fi geeks but doesn't allow the audience to care about is destruction (something Avatar or even Wakanda showed possible)

Speaking of Marvel, I think this movie is a textbook of what we take for granted and call formulaic, but what makes entertaining movies. Marvel doesn't take itself seriously... It allows light banter and comedy relief to tell you it's self aware and in on the joke. The first fifteen minutes the male MC meets the female MC in Mortal Engines, he fumbles around with whatever is in on his mind as if that awkwardness is funny to people watching. She spares the audience by shutting his big mouth down but unfortunately, that's the first and last attempt at humor. Unfortunately, that's not the last time we see how unredeemably stupid the MC is.

Another thing Marvel excels at is that they do expositions right. The first fifteen to thirty mins of this movie could've been helped with a more detailed intro. Tying together source material with new audiences is hard. But a good effort makes all the difference in giving no name characters a chance.

There are several bits where the universe is so dark and grimy that some humor is sorely needed. The side characters are uninspiring and I would've liked this movie twice as much if they said something funny, light or dark (Total Recall or Matrix anyone?) as they disappear into the plot device ether. That stuff goes a long way to paint a world that's been lived in rather than a set piece who's purpose is to get torn down for hero stuff.

If this becomes a cult classic, that's up for the audience to fill in the blanks... Because there's a lot of unintended material to work with.

The casting is a bit off and baffling sometimes... Hugo Weaving is the main star... Really? I know typecasting is bad, but that would've bigly lended the movie some mainstream cachet with folks like Idris Elba playing a similar role for Pacific rim.

It's baffling in the sense that this is a pretty diverse cast... For side characters. They have some glimpses of personality. The Ninja chick is mold breaking... Except she's only there too serve as a placeholder prop for the goofus main character. What's more galling is that the MC is yet another do nothing no name jerbs stealing Brit!

The last half is a blatant ripoff of A New Hope, but this is a dystopic future... Where is the hope should they win? Who cares if they don't?

This definitely feels like an adaptation where it's handlers either didn't love the universe or just decided to follow a formula that checked all the cynical boxes (big budget, big effects, a laughable love Arc the movie shelves). They wanted to make a universe or franchise out of this series but didn't or failed understand why the books were popular in the first place.

Too bad. I heard about this movie because of the words flop and steampunk. Midway I was thinking, you know what would make a great intro movie to steampunk? Sky pirates in some mysterious Avatar like world. Nothing too serious, just something new and different.

#7835 Invisible Fan, Feb 24, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

working my way through Ken Burns's Vietnam. Had grown tired of his documentary style previously, had put this off . . . it's remarkably different from his earlier stuff and just really, really well done. Through the first five episodes it's a 10 out of 10.

17. Buck Turgidson

Which ones got you bored? I'm a fan, so I'm curious.

18. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

more the style I guess than anything else. was always a big fan of The Civil War, enjoyed the baseball and jazz ones as well, by the time he got to The National Parks I found it difficult to stick with.

19. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Final Score: 5-10

On Amazon Prime
    With Dave Bautista and Pierce Brosnan

This movie looks like you could fit Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson into Bautista's role and you wouldn't miss a beat. Good action, pretty predicatable, Bautista is almost believable....I'd give it a solid 5.

20. Buck Turgidson

The Lewis and Clark one was good. I re-watch the baseball one every few years.