1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RAPHIAEL PUTNEY NAMED NBA DEVELOPMENT LEAGUE PERFORMER OF THE WEEK

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by SnakeBite, Jan 13, 2016.

1. SnakeBite

SnakeBite Contributing Member

NBA Development League Reports...

NEW YORK, Jan. 12, 2016 – Raphiael Putney of the Rio Grande Valley Vipers, was today named NBA Development League Performer of the Week for games played Monday, Jan. 4 through Sunday, Jan. 10. The honor is the first of Putney’s career.

Putney (6-10, 255, Massachusetts) led Rio Grande Valley to a 2-1 week averaging 28.3 points (third in the league) on 47 percent shooting (29-of-62) to go with a league-leading 15.7 rebounds and 3.7 blocks (third). He connected on 15-of-19 free throw attempts. On Jan. 7, at the NBA D-League Showcase he scored a career-high 38 points on 14-of-22 shooting, including 6-of-11 from beyond the arc to go with 18 rebounds in a 111-99 win over the Fort Wayne Mad Ants. In his second game at the Showcase, he tied a season high with six blocks in a 125-119 victory over Raptors 905. On Jan. 4, he set a career high with 21 rebounds and tallied four blocks in a 126-122 loss to the Reno Bighorns.

For the season, Putney is averaging 20.3 points (tied for ninth in the league), 10.0 rebounds (fifth), 3.1 blocks (second) and 1.8 assists.

Other top performers considered include Bakersfield’s Xavier Munford, Delaware’s Sean Kilpatrick and Jordan McRae, Erie’s Keith Appling, Idaho’s Bryce Dejean-Jones, Iowa’s Alex Stepheson, Maine’s Terry Rozier (on assignment from the Boston Celtics), Oklahoma City’s Marquis Teague, Sioux Falls’ Josh Richardson (on assignment from the Miami Heat and Texas’ Brandon Ashley.

2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Wow, this forum is slow boogy.

Congrats to Putney on his beastly week.

3. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I haven't seen this guy's name associated with our summer league teams. Why not?

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I also wonder why not?

I mean sure he is rail thin, but let's see what he can do.

DD

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Perhaps because he was suspended in April for violating the anti-drug program.

6. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

You violate the drug policy after you make it to the NBA and signs a contract for at least 7 figures.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Putney is on the Cavs' summer league roster

8. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

That doesn't give the Cavs any particular rights to him, does it?

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Not that I know of... unless he signed some type of contract, and I don't recall reading that he did.

10. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Okay, thx. I know he's had his issues, but I really like him. Was surprised he wasn't on our team.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We constantly have promising guys that we let get away, Whiteside was one, this is another....

DD

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Did I miss something? What did he do?

13. HoopScribe

HoopScribe Member

Putney played really well for the Cavs in Summer League. He had 15 points, 6 rebounds and a block today and averaged 9 points, 4.3 rebounds and 1.5 blocks coming in. He's shot better than 40 percent from 3.

Here's a feature that ran on him earlier this year: http://www.themonitor.com/sports/ri...cle_3334bc9c-d140-11e5-9217-1796b48b3967.html

No, the Cavs don't have his rights unless they sign him to a contract. But he could be getting significant looks now after the Summer League he had. If he ever put on more weight, look out.

14. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

how long after a drug violation can a player be considered for the NBA? This R. Putney guy could take the roster spot of K. Wiltjer.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

He's eligible already for the NBA. As mentioned above, he played for the Cavs' summer league team. He's been playing overseas for a couple of other teams. And no, he won't take Wiltjer's spot. At least not this season. Lol.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

My goodness, between D'Antoni (coach of the month) Harden (player of the month) and Putney it's simply an embarrassment of riches.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He was under 30, no successful NBA team ever cuts anyone under 30 because #FOMO

18. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Putney's award was last year.