1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2017-18

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, that's the one aspect that gives me pause on my scenario.

2. basketballholic

The luxury tax is calculated based on the teams payroll as of the last regular season game.

It's my understanding that once the team's season ends that they are then able to make trades between then and the moratorium based on the trade rules that apply. What I take from that is we can be under the tax on the day of our last regular season game and pay no luxury tax and then after our playoff season ends in May or June we are free to make trades that take our payroll past the luxury tax figure without having to pay the tax.

Of course, I'd prefer @BimaThug to verify my understanding here. My understanding is the hard cap is in place until June 30th. But after the team' season is finished they can trade up to the apron level without accruing any additional luxury tax above where they were when the tax was determined on the last day of the regular season, which is April 11th for us this season.

3. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

There are a few complications to the Speights/Mack trade when it comes to calculating 2017-18 luxury tax payments:
    1. Black has a 15% trade kicker - does that hit our cap or Orlando's?
    2. Speights is on the vet minimum, making $2 MM+ but only $1.4 MM counts to the cap. Which number is used for luxury tax implications?
    3. I believe that only the remaining portion of Mack/Speights' salaries count to our luxury tax bill, but I'm not sure here

My understanding is that #1 affects our cap (but is <$500K since it applies to his remaining salary), #2 is that $1.4 MM is the relevant number, and #3 is only the remaining salary for each player.

If these are all true, then we would remain below the luxury tax after the ORL trade. Actually, now that I think about it, if #3 is true, then we would remain below the luxury tax even after the proposed LeBron trade as well.

@BimaThug, am I missing something here?

Deuce likes this.
  4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

@BimaThug this was my initial trade idea.
    cc @Clutch

5. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

IIRC, when you trade for a player, only their remaining salary for that year applies to the luxury tax calculation. If we trade for LeBron on June 30, only his remaining salary (which could very well be $0 since its after the end of the regular season) would be applied to our bill. So you may be right here, but would love input from our resident capologists.

6. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I think y'all may be on to something, but would a 3-way deal incl. ATL strengthen us for this year (& next year with our offer to Lebron & possibly sending Anderson to a 3rd party)?

ATL: Tariq Black (HOU) + 2018 2nd (MIA) (via HOU)
    ORL: Chinanu Onuaku (HOU)
    HOU: C Dewayne Dedmon (ATL) + F Luke Babbitt (ATL) + C / F Mareese Speights (ORL)

Would stregthen us for a playoff run this year by making front court much deeper. Babbitt is Anderson-lite, but much (much) cheaper.

After we when the ship this year ;), you could send Anderson (to a 3rd) team with Dedmon (does have PO for next season) + T-Will (with 2020 1st + rights to Hartenstein) headed to the Land for Lebron. EGo stays to be spark off the bench along with DWade.

2018 - 2019 Rox
    CP3 - Wade - (rookie or vet on cheap deal)
    Harden - EGo - Green
    Ariza - LMBM - Babbitt
    Lebron - Tucker - Qi
    Capela - Nene - Speights

7. Spoolxx

Spoolxx Member

8. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Anderson+Gordon+Black to Utah
    Utah trades Favors, Hood and a 2018 first to Cle.
    Houston trades a future first to CLE
    CLE trades Lebron to Houston and we get Joe Johnson in a trade or buyout.
    Sign Bogut

Capela/Bogut/Nene or Tucker which IMO we will see in playoffs
    Lebron/Tucker/Luc
    Ariza/Luc/J Johnson
    Harden/Green
    Paul/Joe Johnson

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

10. Spoolxx

Spoolxx Member

Yeah... Zach Lowe aka one of the most respected reporter because of that right? **** Wojnarowski too if we're going by your logic.

lol give it up dude. Told you not to believe that previous BS rumor.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Houston gets:

Lebron James
    Jonathan Simmons
    Mo Speights

Cleveland gets:

Eric Gordon
    Bismack Biyombo
    Shelvin Mack
    *Rockets 2020 first
    *Rockets 2022 first
    *Orlando 2018 second

Orlando gets:

Isaiah Thomas (expiring)
    Ryan Anderson
    Tarik Black (expiring)
    Nanu Onuaku
    Troy Williams (non-guaranteed)
    *Rights to Llull

Rockets Roster:

Harden/Green
    CP3/Simmons
    Ariza/Mbah a Moute
    Lebron/PJ
    Capela/Nene/Speights

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

NBA.com says otherwise.

Like Atlanta, the Magic are open for business. Jonathan Isaac is considered untouchable, while it would take a significant offer to pry Aaron Gordon loose. Orlando’s new management doesn’t seem interested in bringing back Elfrid Payton ...

Houstunna likes this.
  13. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Seen a Tarik Black + ‘18 2nd Rounder for Nerlens Noel

D-rock likes this.
  14. tc0330

tc0330 Member

Why didnt we go after Willie Hernangomez? the man is young, big, extra cheap and has potential.

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

Reposting this here since it's probably more on topic lol

Thoughts?

16. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Forget that I wanted Kyle O' Quinn. He has a 27.7% defensive rebounding rate and he is 39th in RPM!

tc0330 and BigMaloe like this.
  17. RLP55

RLP55 Member

At this juncture in the season.we have the best record in team history. Think about that. This team as structured has the best chemistry of any Rocket team in the past 5 seasons. Yes, we could use a vet PG or backup 4/5. I don’t hate Anderson, but if he can be used to acquire one or both of those, great.

Other than a vet buyout, Chandler from PHX or any number of other players that might fill our needs, I say stay the course with this group. If we can get Lebron, personally don’t want him, let’s do that in the off season.

All these other proposed trades that break up this core of players, I say hard pass. I agree I’d like to see MDA use a larger rotation of players. Injuries have forced his hand and he has expanded his rotation a couple of times. Though we are a solid 9 deep, a backup 4/5 and or pg would solidly this roster.

Let’s keep the roster tweak minimal.

D-rock and JamalP. like this.
  18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Here's my proposed trade. What do you guys think?

TEAM #1 sends: All-Star PF they don't want for some weird reason + important roster piece they somehow don't mind giving away
    TEAM #1 gets: Barely Starter (3pt ace w/massive salary) + rights to injured Euro guy drafted around 2011

TEAM #2 sends: disgruntled GOAT who wants to play with his buddy
    TEAM #2 gets: 6th man + G-League center + aging vet + 2019 #29 or #30 draft pick

ROCKETS send: crap players and/or crap contracts and/or Euro guys no one wants who will never sign to play in the NBA anyway
    ROCKETS get: One of the greatest players of all time and an All-Star PF, giving up almost nothing in the process

Harden/who gives a shite?
    CP3/does it really matter?
    GOAT/guy who makes < $1M/yr
    All-Star/Keith Jones
    Swiss Dude/G-League reject

The cool thing about this trade is that other teams give us AWESOME players, yet for some reason are willing to take our table scraps in return!

I know it looks like 90% of the proposed trades in this thread, but mine is honest. ;)

#718 topfive, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  19. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Do you see the Rockets not re-signing Ariza this summer and going after Rodney Hood instead? This assumes Lebron decides to not come here this summer.

20. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tesla Vucevic - Let's see what you guys have to get him here ....