1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rocket Trade Ideas 2019-20

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Acura

Acura Member

No worries I was mostly joking. Although I think jam green type player would be great for our team. Tucker is great to matchup at power forward/center with the warriors but against the clippers we are going to need tucker and co to guard Kawhi and PG and we need a real power forward I fear.

kjayp likes this.
  2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

U
    Agreed. I was a big fan of Chuck Hayes when he was a Rocket. Tucker gives us a high basketball I.Q.with good
    presence of mind of denying players from getting to a comfortable range near the rim and when they do, Tucker has
    strong arms/hands to lock down the opponent at the site of the ball (waist down). Problem is when “Bigs” keep the ball
    high......as they are taught.

It might be too much to ask a 6’6” Tucker with no leaping ability to check an AD, Cousins, Zubac, Harrell consistently.
    It becomes Bar-B-Que chicken. So yes, it will take a team effort. But one can see why Tucker gave up a PER of +30
    to centers and above average to PF’s. Crowder could help out at SF as his stats show he keeps his counterpart
    slightly less than average.

I would welcome a Crowder trade depending on the outgoing assets.

BaselineFade, saleem, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

P.S.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the current Rockets roster can win 57 games, I just feel teams named
    Clippers/Lakers/Sixers/Bucks will give the Rockets matchup problems. Rockets getting off to a better
    start than the Lakers/Clippers. Just my humble opinion.

saleem and Acura like this.
  4. Acura

Acura Member

maybe we are focusing on the wrong grizzly. Would love to have crowder but like you said at the appropriate price. I want tucker 100% focused on guarding an all star forward for the playoffs. Not trying to play power forward 40 mins a game

saleem and ApacheWarrior like this.
  5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I’m not sure the Rockets can pry Iggy or Covington from their respective teams, but I would like the Rockets to
    target Kings Bjelica/Ariza by the trading deadline.

Bjelica: 6’10”...$6.8M (19/20)......$7.2M (Morey/Tilman team friendly non-guaranteed money in 20/21)
    Ariza:.............$12.2M (19/20).....$12.8M (Morey/Tilman team friendly non-guaranteed money in 20/21)

Eric Gordon $14.1M plus some throw away contracts like Terrence Jones that are team friendly to the Kings might
    get it done.....pick(s).

We know what Ariza can do. I feel he has 1 more good year in him (34 y/o June). Rockets could rest him going into
    the playoffs so he can be somewhat fresh.....unlike the years we worked him into the ground.

Ariza with Washington last season: 14.1 pts.........3.8 asts.......5.3 TRB........32.2% (3P%). 3-pt shooting could improve
    with the added rest and open shots that Harden/Westbrook create.

(18/19 season per basketball-reference.com)
    Player...................WS..........PER........pts........3P%......TRB%.......Blk%.......Ast%.......per 36-mins (pts)
    Bjelica.(23 mins)...4.5.........15.4.......9.6.......40.1%.....12.8%......2.7%.......11.1%......14.9 pts
    Tucker...................5.0...........9.2........7.3.......37.7%......9.5%.......1.2%........4.6%........7.7 pts

Lose Gordon but gain much needed SF/PF help going into a playoff run. Go along with Bennett/Gary Clark/House.

Not sure Westbrook allows enough minutes for Gordon, Gerald Green and possibly CClemons after the trade deadline. Clemons can give the Rockets the long range shooting Gordon was/is suppose to supply.

#65 ApacheWarrior, Aug 13, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

How much House develops his game is going to be a huge factor in their overall success …. I get the idea that House is the guy they are banking on filling the void at the 3 , being able to defend PG / Kawhi / Lebrick / Kuzma types alongside Tucker getting the bulk of the minutes at the 4.

Anthony Bennett …. non-guaranteed , maybe he sticks ? I don't know what to make of that situation yet.

I think we can forget about a Shumpert S&T …. doesn't appear they want to make that kinda salary commitment so we're probably waiting for a mid season move which I assume would involve EG?? That is assuming that House doesn't get the job done ….

They do have open roster spots …. and a few dollars under the tax line but there just doesn't appear to be anything out there available that fills the void while not taking significantly more salary.

7. fattz

fattz Member

It’s frustrating to see such a need not being addressed at the big forward spot. DM has had drafts where he tried by picked the same type of players in the same spot year after year. We have spent years watching the development of said players to gift them away to chase bigger dreams or not resign them to be finically responsible. Now the need is overwhelming clear and the time spent was wasted. Just crazy to think if we held on to just one of the many players we already had; we spent years of development to fill the exact void which is so apparent.

8. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

What player are you talking about? With respect to the power forward position.
    Montrezz had to be dealt in the Chris Paul trade. There was no way around it.
    I’m just curious who have we gifted away?

9. fattz

fattz Member

We gave Morris to the Suns while still on his rookie contract to make room Howard

10. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

That’s a fair example. Though that was pretty long ago; making room for Howard was the right move at the time, and Marcus has been on 3 teams since Phoenix.
    We definitely have had an issue with addressing the power forward position for some time, ever since Scola; I just don’t think it was because we’ve let opportunities slip.

D-rock likes this.
  11. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

Can a trade exception be used in a three+ team trade? From my understanding, it can't be used in multiple player trades between 2 teams but was wondering if there was some work around in 3+ team trades where only 1 player was moved per team.

Examples:
    Team A gets Player B
    Team B gets Player C
    Team C gets Trade Exception A

Team A gets Player D
    Team B gets Trade Exception A
    Team C gets Trade Exception B
    Team D gets Player C

*May need to include incentives like cash and/or picks on separate deals

Also could a player acquired from a trade exception be immediately used in another multiplayer trade package?

I mean...there has to be a use for all these trade exceptions, right? RIGHT!?!?

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think its more that we let two wings walk that played big parts in the rotation and at the same time , didn't have any financial vehicles to replace their talent / contributions …. aside from minimum guys who you hoped would outperform their contracts - None of them did.

13. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Yeah fair. The post I quoted to was referring to the big forward spot so I assumed he was talking about power forwards. While we have had many PFs run through this roster, no one has been worth keeping around except Montrezz, which had to be included, and I guess his example of Marcus Morris, though that’s dated way back

14. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Yes we did let Luc walk away, on his own two feet and two crutches. His career is likely over. He played no meaningful minutes in the playoffs. Ariza at 15 mil would have really come back to bite us this season because we would not have dodged the tax last season with him on the team. Tilman would be fighting to avoid the repeater tax all year. Ariza may have helped, but I'm not sure he would he would have got us past the Warriors. He had his chance when he was a year younger and went 0-9 with 0 points.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You miss the point.

Its not just about letting the player walk , its about not having any financial vehicle to replace their contributions.

16. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

How do you get that vehicle without trading a starter or Gordon? Only way to keep them is to go over the cap and into the tax. Had we gone over the tax last season, Tilman would compromise this season to stay under it. He still might compromise this season to stay under it, but it's not as certain. I agree with you on a lot of other stuff, but even in hindsight, letting them walk seemed like the right move. Are there any realistic scenarios that you think would have been better for the Rockets? Trade Gordon?

17. fattz

fattz Member

The Grizzlies are collectors of younger less expensive players and have lot of talent and not enough spaces. My hope is Bruno Caboclo becomes available. We helped in his development a benefit would be nice. He fits what we are doing (learned to shoot the 3 in valley). The two years from two years was four years ago —> he is ready.

D-rock likes this.
  18. alleyoop

alleyoop Member

If we dont resign EG we will not have the cap space to replace him. The other option is to trade him for someone who either is under contract for more years or who is worth going into the lux tax to resign. I hope we trade him for someone younger still developing but good enough to be a 3rd star (borderline All-Star).
    A Gordon
    in Orlando would be perfect for our system.
    He would give us the size, outside threat, lob ability, youth and experience, defense, and may not fit his current team's makeup. (They had him coming off the bench sometimes)
    EG and a pick for AG
    ?

D-rock and fattz like this.
  19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It won't work. This offer can be easily outmatched. This is coming from an EG fan.

20. fattz

fattz Member

The problem is:
    Aaron 19.9/year to Eric 14/year
    and have no filler —> $5.900,000 away

I don’t see it without a 3rd team that really wants to overpay for Gordon and has the players for Orlando to say yes. We still wouldn’t have the cap to get him

D-rock likes this.