1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rocket Trade Ideas 2018-19

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 7, 2018.

1. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Clint Capela, Eric Gordon, picks for Aaron Gordon

fattz likes this.
  2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Depending how that draft dominoes fall...if Jarrett Culver is on the board around the 8th pick you absolutely call Atlanta and try to work something out.

3. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

how about EG fo drue holliday?

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Trading Capela won’t be easy for the same reason he was largely ignored in free agency last summer.

There just isn’t a market for expensive role playing 5’s.

You might be able to sell a team like the Clippers, that are accustomed to having a borderline All-Star traditional center, on some sort of Capela for Gallinari swap. But does that make us any better?

Htown Legend likes this.
  5. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Capela and Nene to Boston for Jaylen Brown and Gordon Hayward.

DD

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  6. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I think by adding Butler and DJ you make this team competitive enough to stick around. Garland is a big dude and at the very least could be a defensive asset on Curry in the playoffs. Garland could be one of those players to figure it out pretty quick. The proposed team in the previous comment with the right bench additions could very well be a better team and better matchup for the Warriors next season. What if you add a Collison/Beverley type PG in FA to start over Garland and give him keys to the 6th man role?

7. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Nene is retiring

BigggReddd likes this.
  8. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Garland is not that big at 6’2

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think you’d have to have that veteran PG and see how it plays out but my overall point was it’s much the same situation. Two star type players. Butler younger and better than CP3 now for sure but it’s still be my turn your turn basketball. With a big that will be neutralized in some series.

Also as noted Garland isn’t that big.

It’s a good effort though.

Also you can’t really just say “sign Butler” as if that’s at all likely to happen.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. treyk3

treyk3 Member

We can trade him and he can retire after he's traded. We'd have to add Eric Gordon to this package to make it work. I think i'd need more than a sweetener of Jaylen Brown to take Gordon Hayward's contract for 2 valuable assets.

probably require their 14th and 22nd picks on top of Brown to take that awful contract while giving them two good players on team friendly deals.

whiskeyred likes this.
  11. Sanity2disChaos

them Pels got a lot of franchise changing decisions to make really quick. I’m not convinced Zion is the answer. Especially if he’s showcased. It will be interesting to see how this plays out!! Im happy to be a rocket fan any day than to be riding with that franchise!!

Hopefully we just add players that still belong in the nba and are at least 6”9 and not a PF!

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

It's true there's not a huge market, but I think there are some options out there.

Atlanta. I can see something like Capela, Nene and a pick for Bazemore and Taurean Prince. Capela is a younger player than Prince and already locked into a fairly reasonable contract. Hawks have been worried that they will have to pay Prince 20m+ when the time comes. They get younger and get a late first rounder in the process. We are back to having 3 good defensive wings to throw at teams. Re-signing House becomes a luxury. Bazemore is a useful contract for future trades. Could possibly flip Bazemore and Prince for Butler and J Simmons if the whole Butler scenario plays out.

Sacramento. Capela would easily be the best C on the Kings, a clear upgrade over WCS. Barnes didn't look good with them out there (to be fair he didn't have much time to adapt). I think Fox/Hield/Bogdanovic/Bagley are clearly their future starters at 1-4 positions. Maybe something like Capela and Gordon for Barnes, WCS and a pick would work. That gives us a lot of flexibility too in terms of follow up or 3-team trades. Barnes might even fit in here if he's finally realized he's strictly a catch and shoot player. Once again, Barnes and the pick feels like a good deal for Butler if that unfolds, but also Barnes, Nene, Sac pick and our pick is a great package to have waiting for another star to break loose somewhere.

New Orleans. I feel like Holiday and filler could be had for Capela, Gordon and maybe a first. Capela is still 24 years old, Gordon is an expiring. Holiday would be an excellent trade chip to send to a 3rd team.

It's all very subjective and I'm sure you/others will disagree with particular examples, but you get the idea. Team building contains a lot of subjectivity, there's bound to be someone who wants a 24 year old C who is among the best big men on the perimeter, very good rebounder, very good shot blocker, potent PnR threat, no other offensive game, has had exactly 1 disappointing season ever in his career which is otherwise full of overachievement.

The key I feel is to get a C in free agency who can hit 3's and not be a total defensive liability. When you're strapped with a contract like Paul's, you have to start making tough choices about how you budget for things. I think the C position is where we're going to have to leave a revolving door and try to find bargains. We can't cheap out on the wing, that was brutal for us. Tucker was dying in the Warriors series, even when he was in foul trouble and barely breathing we had no one who could give him a rest without us bleeding points. Same with Harden, time to force him to rest a bit more.

#1512 Mathloom, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
    baller4life315 and Rudyc281 like this.
  13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

A low post player please

14. baller4life315

Good post, but it only further underscores the predicament we’re in.

Truth be told: during the regular season, Clint was basically our second best (and most valuable) player. He’s worked his ass off and has gotten better every single year he’s been in the league. He’s good at what he does. Overall, having Clint Capela on your basketball team is a net positive.

.....he just happens to be useless against one particular team. A team that, for reasons need not mentioned, has managed to get under our skin for the better part of a decade.

With respect, none of these examples you provided lands us a player better than Clint. Not Prince. Not Barnes. Certainly not Bazemore or WCS. Holliday is a good player, but if it costs us two starters + a 1st, that’s a non-starter. I get it, though, you’re speaking hypothetically - and to be fair, Gallo isn’t a better player, in my example.

I’m not disagreeing that we need to consider the 5 position a revolving door of cheap, over-performing players. Just saying, dealing him for what he’s actually worth is going to require some creativity and patience. If that’s the road we choose to pursue.

And since this is the Random Trade Thread, I’ll add another: Clint to Boston for Brown/Baynes/Yabusele.

Boston misses out on AD and knows they’re going to have to pay Jaylen. Let’s Horford play his natural position.

We reset with Brown as our new #2 scoring option, Baynes as Clint’s bargain bin replacement and go from there.

15. Mathloom

I think we're just looking at it differently. We don't have to get a better player - in the way you're defining "better player" here - in order for a trade to be successful.

The team can be better off even if we don't get a player. In a good trade, if you're not getting a better player, then you're getting something else. That's usually some sort of flexibility or ability to make other rooms or opening up strategic options on the court which make others more effective.

In this case, getting Barnes and Dedmon for example improves us although none of them are better than Capela. In fact, Capela is probably much better than Dedmon. But our depth improves. Harden/CP3/Gordon improve because now Gobert, Draymond, Giannis, Siakam, Lopez all have to guard the 3pt line. Our ability to make a deal with the Sixers improves (since they have 0 need for a C, but can use a F if Butler walks).

We're no longer at the part where we should just seek the best player available imo. Holiday in particular to me would be a poor fit, he doesn't do anything better than Paul or Harden and brings little off the ball. But he's a trade chip. We need guys whose presence off the ball is positive and/or who are excellent in high pressure situations. Harden can do everything else. Paul can do a little of everything very well. The roster is aging. We have to take some risks because as much as it's good that the Warriors dynasty is coming to a relative close, the Bucks and Raptors are going to be around for a while.

16. jowman

jowman Member

Lopez carrying the freek. Dude is balling hitting all the big shots. Imagine getting him instead of the center we had

17. baller4life315

Agreed, we’re looking at things differently. Nothing wrong with that.

At his age and with gradual improvement, he’s easily our best trade chip. Despite the limited market for quality traditional 5’s in today’s NBA.

I’m not shortsighted in the sense we have to walk away from any trade with the biggest name, but there’s obviously a huge difference between using him to net a Jaylen Brown type (high upside, could conceivably thrive in a larger role) and using him to get a Bazemore or Barnes type that are more likely to decline than prosper. But I get it: there are financial and future trade implications to consider.

Either way, I’m with you in the sense: I like any move that will improve our chances to get Jimmy Buckets (assuming that’s what you were referring to with the Philly trade speculation).

18. Mathloom

I would like to get Brown, but I think secretly he is the 1 player Ainge is not willing to move. Personally I see his ceiling higher than Tatum, and I get the feeling Ainge feels that way too. He is part of the core that took the team to the ECF without Kyrie and Hayward. With Kyrie likely to walk, I think one of Brown or Tatum will be offered for AD, but none of them will be going elsewhere. Just my gut feeling.

In general, the likelihood that we get a proven better player than Capela on a rookie scale contract is 1 in a million. The far more likely scenario is we get someone who has to be rejuvenated or we overpay someone.

19. baller4life315

.....but that’s the central question, though.

Clint hurts us against one team. And only team only.

Do we stand pat? Do we hope the Warriors dynasty dies naturally (KD, Klay, Boogie all FA’s)? Do we overreact? Do we play the wait-and-see game? Do we make a drastic trade right now?

There are a lot of questions.

Personally, I’m not a fan of incorporating emotion into your response....it’s just hard not to whenever GS owns us as badly as they do, and the heartbreak factor from the past two seasons has been a 10/10.

I think we should be patient. Don’t deal Clint for anything less than he’s worth and see what happens in FA with GS. We’ve been knocking on the door for years. KD and/or Klay leaving is a real game-changer.

20. Mathloom

I don't think it's true that Clint hurts us against one team only. I think if we would have played the Raptors or Bucks, the same thing would have happened. Philly and Boston might improve. Knicks and Lakers might emerge. Next season there are likely to be more of those teams than less as the NBA is trending that way. We used to be a team ahead of the curve. We're now behind. GS will not be the only problem next season, and the Warriors without KD plus 2-3 MLE/minimum signings who are itching to live in the Bay Area and contend will have that team back at 60+ wins.

Each game in the series against the Warriors was decided by 6 points or less. Even if the Warriors retain everyone, that's not a superstar-level difference. If they lose Klay or Durant, we are a rotation player away assuming we make better moves than them.

I think hoping that we get more for Clint than he's what he's worth is unnecessary and possibly detrimental. I do not want to ever go into another season where the GM claims the team will be finalized at the playoff deadline. That's no way for a contender to operate. If we get for Clint what he's worth - which is a role player - but one that suits us better, we should pull the trigger. We make strategic trades, we don't wait to win the trade lottery all the time.

If every team waited to get better value for their assets than what their current players produced last season, trades would rarely happen. Why would someone trade us a player for Clint who's clearly a better player than Clint? At present, this team needs 2 more legit backups to succeed. It already has to use the MLE to retain the existing team. At worst, we need to split Clint into two role players. We can live with a lot less at C.