1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

R.I.P.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RichRocket, Jul 12, 2001.

1. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

My dad passed away June 28 at age 85. He'd been battling Parkinson's Disease for some 15 years. I know this is kind of a young crowd but I'd love to hear some of your personal recollections about your dads (living or deceased) and basketball.

My dad introduced me to basketball. He played basketball in junior high. He liked to tell the story about the game when he scored ALL his team's points... they lost 17-1. That was the era of the underhand free throw and the two-handed set shot.

In the mid 60's he used to take me to Delmar Fieldhouse to watch The Big E shoot those turnaround jumpers from the freethrow line. Ah, the Coogs: Big E, Theotis Lee, Leary Lentz, Ken Spain, Melvin and Carlos Bell, George Reynolds, Dwight Evans, Dwight Davis, Poo Welch, and my all-time favorite Ollie Taylor-- named a dog after him!

I played basketball in high school. My dad was very good at cutting to the chase. He used to harp on me to drive to the basket because I'd either get a "crip" shot, get fouled, or both. He was right, of course.

Later we had Rocket season tickets. I went to what I think was the first Rocket exhibition game at the Astrohall against the Sixers. We would go off and on for years thereafter through the early years of Moses Malone.

Rest in peace, Dad.

------------------
    "How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak. Because someday you will have been all of these."

2. Kingrene

Kingrene Member

Great post. Your Dad would be proud to have invoked such great memories.

------------------

3. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

That is a great post.

My own father (who is still alive. He's 56) has absolutely no interest in basketball or any other sport. Despite growing up in Houston, he wasn't even aware that the Harris County Domed Stadium was known as the Astrodome to pretty much everyone (and he even did live in Houston for several years after the place opened).

------------------
    Why not visit MovieForums.com?
    Or FilmDallas.com?

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry to hear about your loss, RichRocket.

My dad used to coach the YMCA basketball team that I played on. I loved it, because I wasn't the best player, or even a really good player, and he knew it, and played just as I deserved. He knew anything more would generate animosity among the teammates. My greatest memory was when he coached us in a game we won with only 4 players. He was an excellent motivator, and was a good player in his day.

I still have better Rockets conversations with no one other than my dad. He loved to talk Rockets, I loved to talk Rockets.

It sounds like your father was a good man, RichRocket. This is a wonderful tribute to him.

RIP

------------------
    Rockets need power forward. Mo near now. Go near Mo.

You can Run from the bet, you can Rave at the bet...but you just can't hide.

5. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I feel badly for your loss RichRocket. I'll keep you all in my prayers.

My father is not really all that into basketball. He knows a bit about the old days, but that's really it. However, when I was in 3rd grade I played basketball for my school. One of the things we learned was backing it in and I just couldn't figure it out. So my dad taught me how to do it. It took a while, and he got really pissed at me, but I got it, and now it's my most reliable move.

------------------
    I'm looking for a job, so hire me

"And I just have to smile and say 'well, I hope so' while I'm really thinking inside how I'd like to just strangle them and take their job."

6. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Man, a son losing a dad is a hard thing. My condolences RR.

My dad never liked basketball, but was a decent athlete. He was small and wirey, but played football in highschool. He used to buy me football cards when I was in the 3rd and 4th grades. He was a fan of the Oilers, but even a bigger fan of the Astros.

My dad, came and watched me play little league when I was a kid, even though I only got 2 hits in 3 years. He always worked with me. Buying me a hitting thing-a-ma-jig.

We never got to go to an Oiler game together. We couldn't afford it. But, we've been to a few Astro games, and those were great. We haven't been to Enron yet, but writing this makes me want to.

He also came to all my football games in highschool. Though I only played varsity one year, I started every year at the next level. He was there rooting me on and taking pictures. He always wanted me to play baseball, but football was my love.

I can't wait to be a dad.....

------------------
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

7. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

8. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

My prayers to you RR.

My dad was not into b-ball at all, but he continually coached my brother and my baseball teams when we were younger. It was also one of the leagues where the coaches who weren't playing usually got stuck umpiring on other nights.

I'm not even sure how much he enjoyed coaching or umpring but he did what he had to do to be around his boys. I always got the biggest kick about how when I started lillte league and he went out and bought some book about coaching baseball (he played as a youngster but wanted to understand the actual coaching side!)

But I can truly say I was fortunate to always have my dad and mom at all of my sporting events.

Again RR I am sorry about your loss!

9. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

Thoughts out to you Rich. Hope you are doing well....

My pops showed me golf when i was 8. We play every time I go down to Brownsville. At age 70 he still beats me (he shoots low 80s).If it should happen he pass away before me, I don't know if I could play another round of golf for a long, long time.
    Its funny because when I was a little boy, my dad was in the Air force. I remember him having big muscles and being the strongest! As time goes by and you see your parents get older & even smaller with age. You realize how precious the relationship is and learn to value them while they are here. At least I do and it sounds like you did too!

------------------
    This space left intentionally blank...

10. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

My condolences, RR.

My dad is a big basketball fan, but he prefers the college came over the pros (they make too damn much money, yada yada yada...)

But get this: He only played one year of high school ball, but was good enough to get offered a scholarship to Southwest Texas State. He was a baseball player, and one of two people in his high school over 6 ft. tall (very small school). The basketball coach saw him playing baseball and convinced him to try out for the team his senior year. That one year was enough to get the scholarship offer.

I say "offer" because he did not accept it. He was about to marry my mom and didn't want to leave her. Good thing, too, or I may not have been here today!

------------------
    It looks like a veteran can Be had.

[This message has been edited by Newbiehad (edited July 12, 2001).]

11. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

My condolences RichRocket

My dad was never a basketball fan. He is more into football (he got me hooked on baseball, but he doesn't follow it).

He's getting up there in age and life has been hard for him. Man! I don't know how I'll handle it when he passes. I know he's thinking about it too because a few months ago he made me executor of his estate. I had to sign a bunch of papers and meet his lawyer. It was a very surreal experience. And he kept telling me "it's okay, nothings wrong, I just want to make sure everything is set in case something happens".

Keep your head up my man!

------------------
    Everything you do, effects everything that is.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Rich -- I'm so sorry...sounds like you were blessed to have a father like you did, though.

This dad/sports connection is so special to me. It's something my wife can't begin to understand...but it's something she appreciates in some way as she watches me and my dad take my son to baseball and basketball games. My father was a great shooter. He couldn't handle the ball real well...but he could shoot lights out. His teams won games because of his shooting on numerous occasions. He used to say he'd love to play Larry Bird in HORSE. I'd tell him, "dad, he'd kill you!" He'd just smile and say, "ok." I admired..and still do admire...his confidence and his competitiveness. He coached my teams in baseball and basketball. He missed only one game I ever played in any sport. He was always there for me. His father abandoned him at a very young age...and my father said that his dream was to always have a real family...to be the father to his son that his father wasn't to him. He was all that and then some. I pray that I can be the same kind of father for my son. I see many of my clients and even my friends who suffer through their relationships with their parents. It shapes so much of who you are. And I thank God that He showed me love through my father and mother.

------------------

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Rich

sorry for your loss
    Me and my father are not exactly close
    at all. In fact we have not spoken in
    several years.

I wonder if it is time to mend fences
    and close the book on the past.

Rocket River

------------------

14. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

Rich
    I am very sorry to hear about your loss. May you find peace in this hard time.

One thing I remember about my childhood is how busy my dad was at work but how he always found time for me. He would come home late and we would put on the porch lights and shoot or pass. Back then I didnt realize how tired he must have been. Times change-I have a son now and I hope to show him the same caring my dad has for me and yours obviously had for you.

God bless you

------------------
    "I may be mistaken, but I'm never wrong" -Barkley

15. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Wonderful post RR. I hope your Father is at peace and I will keep him and you in my prayers.

------------------
    "Blues is a Healer"
    --John Lee Hooker

16. haven

haven Member

I had trouble to relating to my father when I was young. He was moody and didn't like children. We were only able to communicate through sports and chess. He coached my soccer team for 3 years, and I played harder than ever before to impress him. Unsurprisingly, those were 3 of my 4 all-star years. He was really hard on me, but I think he also helped me become the best keeper possible.

We also used to play catch and shoot hoops.

He was a 2A regional selection in football at linebacker, and walked-on at Notre Dame despite being offered a scholarship by Texas Tech and some smaller schools, but never got to play. He quit after freshman year to commit to other activities.

He's only 50, but he's a smoker, which worries me. We now have a very good relationship, after I grew enough to talk to him about things he's interested in. Flawed, but I love him.

Sorry for your loss.
    ------------------
    Clutchcity.net... source for all your Rockets, Astros, political, music, humor, and Gordita news.

[This message has been edited by haven (edited July 12, 2001).]

17. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

------------------

18. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

My condolences, RR. It sounds like your father lived a long, full life and it must be great to have had the opportunity to be a big part of that.

Strange, for the sports fan that I am, my dad really isn't. But he follows football the most, and I always remember as a kid we watched quite a few MNF games together. Even more unusual, though, is that I remember as a little kid that we really bonded over what's now known as 'sports entertainment' - that's right, Pro Wrestling! I had to be around 10/11 at the time and was really into it. My mom never understood what we saw in that...

He's nearing 50 now, but MNF and, to some extxent, wrasslin' is still around for both of us. Now my little brother is in the mix.

Sorry for your loss, hopefully you're doing ok. And I know you've plenty of memories to give you comfort.

Rok

------------------
    "Do you know what nemesis means? 'A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent'. Personified, in this case, by a horrible c***: ME."
    - Brick Top, Snatch

[This message has been edited by Rokkit (edited July 12, 2001).]

19. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Rich Rocket, sorry about the loss of your father and hope all the best for you and your family. My condolences.

20. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

RichRocket, real sorry to hear that. Your dad sounded like a great man. My condolenses to you and your family as well.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."