1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PRP / Hair Loss

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by astros99, Jun 3, 2019.

1. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

Anyone try PRP for hair loss? Any positive/negative reviews? Thinking about giving it a try. I'm not bald at all but notice my hairline is receding so would like to be preventative before it gets bad.

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

3. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Very slight receding hairline here and I've been using Nizoral 1% and Minoxidil 5% for the past few months and the results have been pretty decent so far. Propecia is also an excellent choice if you don't experience any side effects and can be used with Nizoral and Minoxidil.

4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Shaved it off, then lasered it, I just don't want to waste the time/money/effort on hair. Of course... If you look awkward, then I can understand.

If you get the prp hopefully it works, there's some better treatments coming - gene therapy is what the real fix will be... But it's going to be a while, so PRP could be a nice stop gap.

Note - I still had hair it was just thinning, and not even that badly yet, I just sped up the process by a few years. - probably like at 29, rather than wait till 33 or so for it to be even thinner. The receding hair line is what made me do it sooner. Couldn't stand the receding portion, just sucked. Don't get me wrong, I can understand people doing the treatments, I just threw the towel in. Hot or cold weather it's awesome, the only time it's not awesome is.... Working on a car, I always wear a hat for that.

#4 CCity Zero, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    Houstunna likes this.
  5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You lasered your head? Crazy. How many sessions did it take to work fully? I started shaving my head with clippers at the first signs of a growing forehead about 20 years ago. I shave with a razor every once in a while but I don't enjoy doing it and don't want to have to go to a barber every few days. Plus, I hate day 3 and day 4 when it's like sandpaper. Can barely get a shirt over my head in those days.

LonghornFan likes this.
  6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yep, so it took like 4-6 treatments to see some great improvements, I need to go like probably another 2-4 treatments more (I'm at 6 but just haven't gone lately to get more done, like at 1 year mark), but just with what I have right now, it doesn't grow in as fast, saved me huge time already. Like I can wait more time between shaves, sometimes can make it 3-4 days or more, like even a week. Before if I waited a week I'd have to buzz it, and then shave it. Typically most people it takes 6 treatments and then 10 to have it a lot more gone. The only issue I have a bit of grey/light hair doesn't currently work for the laser but the dark which was the main issue is super easy to shave now. I plan on going the last 4 treatments soon. The only thing that sucks is the time between treatments (like 4-8 weeks) so some hair can come back.

I use a safety razor so I get as close as possible (typically what barbers use), I love going there every once in awhile though. I'll probably have to occasionally shave it but if I can get it down to a week or two it's worth the time saved.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Nothing worked for me. Genetics plays its role. You are very likely doomed, OP, but best of luck. Perhaps modern technology will do the trick. When I look in the mirror, I look like my late grandfather. It's frightening.

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Keep your hair military-short and the receding hairline isn't as noticeable. Limits your choices on hair trends, but then again, if you live in Houston short hair is a bonus.

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

What are things that cause hair loss and what are healthy foods that retain hair?

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

"You send money. Look like Stalin!"

:D

The greatest comedy in the history of the networks, back when we had CBS, NBC, ABC, and that other channel. I used to watch the reruns with my late mother, and it didn't matter how many times we'd seen an episode, we still laughed like lunatics. :)

GIGO and KingCheetah like this.
  12. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

When I read that there’s a small risk of permanent impotency with finasteride, I decided I’ll just accept my eventual baldness and shave when the time comes.

13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Vitamin E thickens hair and is great for skin. Ditto coconut oil.

Alcohol is a major detriment.

cheke64 likes this.
  14. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

I use Minoxidil and Jamaican Black Castor oil for my thinning hair. Seems to be working ok.

Andre0087 likes this.