1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Professional Reference]Ask a client?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by McNultyisDrunk, Jan 26, 2010.

1. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

So I find out that a major client is leaving his company for an opportunity elsewhere. We developed a pretty good rapport over the past 2 years, and I believe he was happy with the work I did, especially with this long term 4th quarter project I just completed.

I'm not sure how to go about asking for a professional reference for down the line. Has anyone ever asked a client for one? Do you contact them with your work email and risk it being flagged by HR?

Thanks in advance!

2. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I've never asked a client for a ref, but I know it has been done. If your HR is anal about that type of stuff, give the guy a call since you have a good rapport with him. Ask if he minds, doubt he will.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I don't see an issue with it. My largest client sent me an equal share of the Christmas bonus he gave to his actual employees this past holiday. I have no problem asking him for a reference should I need it.