1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Prior Out for Season

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by MadMax, Apr 25, 2007.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I realize it doesn't change much of the current Cubs' roster, since he started the season in the minors. But still big news in the NL Central.

I have not seen a pro sports team coronated so early since the Orlando Magic of the mid-90's....and have it amount to so little.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2849094

Prior out for season after shoulder surgeryAssociated Press

CHICAGO -- Oft-injured Chicago Cubs pitcher Mark Prior will miss the entire 2007 season after surgery on his right shoulder, the biggest setback yet in his once-promising career.

Prior, 26, had surgery Tuesday performed by noted orthopedist Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala. Andrews also worked on Prior's rotator cuff.

"Obviously, Mark is done for the year," Chicago general manager Jim Hendry said. "From my conversations with [trainer] Mark O'Neal and John Boggs, Mark's agent who talked to Dr. Andrews last night, Dr. Andrews feels comfortable that he will still have a career. This is certainly not career-ending."

"He felt optimistic that he would be able to pitch next year. ... At his age, he should not have a problem responding and coming back after a strenuous rehab."

Hendry said it was too early to set a timetable for Prior's return or discuss what it means for Prior's future with the Cubs. Prior started his rehabilitation program Wednesday, and it will continue into the offseason.

Prior has been beset by injuries since his first full season in the majors in 2003, when he almost pitched Chicago into its first World Series since 1945.

Prior was not on the Cubs' active roster to start the year and was optioned to Triple-A Iowa after a poor spring training. He instead went to extended spring training in Arizona but pitched only two innings there April 12 before reporting discomfort in his shoulder.

"Obviously, he had some things wrong physically and he's getting them corrected," Cubs manager Lou Piniella said before Wednesday's game against Milwaukee. "So, this is a step in the right direction."

The injury was the latest problem for the struggling team. The Cubs, who have not reached the World Series since 1945, made many major changes in the offseason yet began the day in last place in the NL Central with a 7-13 record.

Kerry Wood, who teamed with Prior to nearly pitch the Cubs to the NL pennant in 2003, is back on the disabled list with tendinitis in his shoulder. Like Prior, Wood has been sidetracked by injuries.

Hendry said Wood might resume throwing this week. Wood has not pitched since a spring training appearance March 25, when his arm felt weak and then stiffened up the next day.

Hendry said he was encouraged by the type of surgery performed on Prior.

"It stayed in the arthroscopic stage. But I think he had some touch up work in a lot of places," Hendry said.

"But at the same time there didn't seem to be anything so significant that it would require more than the scope. It didn't have to be opened up and have extensive surgery."

Prior went to Dr. Lewis Yocum in California before going to see Andrews, who told the right-hander last October he had genetic looseness in his shoulder joints.

"I talked to Mark yesterday. I think we all felt that it was time to have Dr. Andrews go in and scope and look around and fix up some things," Hendry said.

"I knew there was something wrong with him. ... I don't think any of us are used to seeing Mark Prior throw 87 miles per hour."

The Cubs were hoping Prior could rebound this season and compete for their fifth starter's spot that eventually went to Wade Miller.

On the day after he was optioned to the minors late in spring training, Prior was convinced he could still get major league hitters out.

"You don't know where your crossroads in your career are until probably after your career is done," he said at the time.

Prior had hoped to start the season with the Cubs.

"There's no reason to ever think that he didn't want to pitch. He was certainly disappointed when he didn't make the ballclub this year and felt like he was good enough to make it," Hendry said.

"He wasn't quite his old self, but he felt that he was on the way. There were no complaints in spring training at all about discomfort or sharp pain. He certainly wouldn't have been pitching if he had."

Prior is 42-29 with a 3.51 ERA in the majors. He took a slight pay cut this season, from $3.65 million to $3,575,000.

Prior finished third in NL Cy Young voting in 2003, when he 18-6 with a 2.43 ERA and struck out 245 in 211 1/3 innings. That October, he was on the mound for Game 6 of the NL Championship Series against Florida with the Cubs leading the series 3-2.

Chicago held a three-run lead in the eighth inning before the Marlins, helped by fan interference on a foul ball at Wrigley Field, rallied to win. Florida also won Game 7 and then won the World Series.

Prior was the overall No. 2 pick in the 2001 draft by the Cubs.

2. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

Thought it would have happened earlier.

3. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

Cant say i'm surprised. I think most everyone going in knew he would be missing a significant amount of time. I know a few sports writers have been talking about how his mechanics back in the day were going to cause him to have injury...i think Priors doomed.

4. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Remember when Prior and Wood were going to be the nasty 1-2 bunch to carry the Cubs to many WS wins?

Ah, the Cubbies.

5. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

man am i glad that didnt happen, they would have dominated the nl central for the longest time

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah, that's really what i meant. it wasn't treated as a matter of if but when.

the national media SOOOO wants to see the Cubs win it. i sooooo want to see them fail.

[​IMG]

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I remember the exact opposite... sportswriters compared Prior's throwing motion to that of then-injured Kerry Wood (when was this guy NOT injured), and raved about how his mechanics were sound, and how he shouldn't be exposed to the same injuries that plagued Wood.

In reality, every pitcher's arm is different... regardless of mechanics.

8. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

great news

9. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Once again, I'm glad I wasn't born into a Cubs family.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

In other news regarding someone who can't be counted on to pitch in the majors, Rick Ankiel is tearing up AAA pitching this year with the bat.

11. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

I'm not saying early on, I read an article a few weeks back a writer talking about how he mentioned a few years ago priors mechanics were going to cause injuries. But ya, early on everyone was talking about his mechanics.

12. Buck Turgidson

Remember when the Twins were raked over the coals & decried as cheapskates when they declined to draft can't-miss Mark Prior with the #1 pick and instead went with the much-cheaper-to-sign hometown HS player? This move was roundly pointed to as a perfect example of all that was wrong with MLB and how the deck is stacked against small market teams, etc, etc.

How'd that Joe Mauer kid turn out, anyway?

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Even if Prior was winning 18-20 games every year, I'd still rather have Mauer.

14. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

sad and hilarious..

15. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

big HR #'s, terrible OBP. 7 HR's in 68 ABs...but a .235 avg/.280 OBP? Something similar to that anyway, i forgot what i just saw

16. Buck Turgidson

That's a tough call.

17. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

shocking news. !