1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Preston Tucker called up

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by sealclubber1016, May 7, 2015.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'll be interested to see how much playing time he gets. My assumption is that he will play against RHP only.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He's actually hit lefties better than righties throughout the minors. Given that Grossman has yet again failed to produce, I think he's basically gonna be the everyday OF until Springer returns.

If Tucker produces it will be interesting to see what happens when Springer is back.

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Today, I got the best news of my life, and I've never been more humbled. Go Astros</p>&mdash; Preston Tucker (@PrestonTucker25) <a href="https://twitter.com/PrestonTucker25/status/596138533707915264">May 7, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Grossman has produced ok in his first 2 seasons, he just tends to be streaky.

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Holy crap. Until this moment looking at his Twitter profile pic, I thought Preston Tucker was black. I have no idea why I thought that.

6. Nook

Nook Member

From what I have been told by people that worked with Preston last season, he is one of the nicest and most genuine people you will meet. A very hard worker that treats the lowest level employee the same he treats his teammates.

7. Nook

Nook Member

LMFAO you thought that because the Astros had Preston Wilson is my guess.

Tucker is a "yes ma'am" and "no ma'am" God fearing good ole boy from the South (northern Florida I believe).

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I had the EXACT SAME THOUGHT. I'm floored.

Do some of you older posters remember the first time you heard Dickie Thon speak? That still haunts me; I had no idea he was Puerto Rican and had such a thick accent. In my defense, I was 11-12 and probably didn't know what Puerto Rico was - but, man, I thought that guy was super white.

[​IMG]

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I like it. I doubt he's called up to sit on the bench. Hopefully he succeeds and we have a really good problem in what to do when Springer comes back.

Wait...what?

Dickie Thon was Puerto Rican? I guess I don't remember ever hearing him speak.

10. Nook

Nook Member

LMFAO you thought that because the Astros had Preston Wilson is my guess.

Tucker is a "yes ma'am" and "no ma'am" God fearing good ole boy from the South (northern Florida I believe).

11. edwardc

edwardc Member

This is a good move he will be the new LF when Springer returns.

12. Buck Turgidson

The list of Famous White Prestons is pretty short. So far I'm all the way up to 1, oddly enough also named Tucker (the guy who made the automobile of the same name).

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Tucker has a decent zone contact rate at 85%. AAA Zone contact rate appears to have a weak correlation with MLB BABIP, RC+, and wOBA (i.e. guys that hit the ball in the strike zone have a smaller drop off in hitting numbers in their first season on average than guys that have problems making contact in with pitches in the strike zone). I would say there is an above 50% chance Tucker is a better hitter in the majors than Grossman this season. Defense scares me though.

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

15. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

It will be interesting. Luhnow needs to figure out if Rasmus is more than a one year rental. Grossman and Hoes have never really emerged, so he's giving Tucker a shot.

I'm betting Grossman regrets not signing the Singleton-type contract that was offered to him a couple years ago. Not sure why so many players blast the Astros for those contracts. They can often favor a player that doesn't emerge as the teams hope the players do.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Rasmus said prior to the season he's got three years left before retiring to a reporter in St. Louis. He was not happy with field in Toronto and feels it has taken a toll on his body. He wants to be able to enjoy his days after baseball.

Maybe playing on grass will re-ignite a passion for the game, but would not look at him as a long term option.

17. Textroets

Textroets Member

I just hope he can put a consistent bat on the ball. As well as we've played overall this year, I still say that this lineup needs one or two more contact hitters. I'm kinda tired of the all or nothing type players. That's why I'm excited about Moran and Correa obviously. These are two guys with very low strikeout numbers and it's about time we start balancing the roster a bit.

18. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Astros have selected OF Preston Tucker to the Major League roster from Triple A and have designated IF Ronald Torreyes for assignment.</p>&mdash; #VoteAstros (@astros) <a href="https://twitter.com/astros/status/596409603111329792">May 7, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Another 40 man casualty.... still recall all the drama over rule 5 selections, and all the "tough" decisions that needed to be made! (right, Evan Drelich?)