1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Preseason Wk 2] Lions at Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 17, 2019.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

7:00pm - ABC13

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

starters gonna play?

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Probably gonna hold them out Brian.
    Got in some good work, plenty of reps during the week Mark.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/texans/article/Texans-vs-Lions-Five-things-to-watch-14329712.php

Who's not playing? The Texans are taking a cautious approach with playing key players during the preseason. That could mean no playing time or brief cameo appearances for Deshaun Watson, DeAndre Hopkins, Will Fuller, Lamar Miller, J.J. Watt, Justin Reid and Johnathan Joseph. It wouldn't be a shock if Matt Kalil was unavailable, too. Several injured players are expected to miss the game, including center Nick Martin (hamstring), tight end Kahale Warring (concussion), wide receiver Keke Coutee (sprained ankle), center Greg Mancz (ankle), quarterback A.J. McCarron (thumb), cornerback Jermaine Kelly (quadriceps), cornerback Deante Burton (leg), cornerback Xavier Crawford and nose tackle D.J. Reader. With Watson not expected to play much, look for a continuation of the Joe Webb Show that aired last week at Lambeau Field.

eliefor3 and conquistador#11 like this.
  4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Why even play the game?

I expect another 0-3 start, at best.

TejasTom and BigShasta like this.
  5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Yeah...I’m not taking time out of my day to watch Joe Webb and the 3rd stringers.

People actually paid money to go and watch this. Lol.

juanm34 and donkeypunch like this.
  6. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Texans go 0-4 to start the season since you know we don’t preseason anymore.

CrazyJoeDavola likes this.
  7. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I like when people try to sell their preseason tickets for face value.

Yeah...no

donkeypunch likes this.
  8. Two Sandwiches

I'd love to see Tytus play left tackle tonight. I don't put much stock into his first preseason game, especially coming from a small school.

I'd love to see a lineup of:

Howard-Martin-Fulton-Scharping-Henderson

I think that's our best five and the best fits right now. I'd love to see us start working towards that combo. Next year, we can get a guard early and we'll be on our way with the line.

If Kahlil doesn't play tonight, he should get cut. I'd like to see Roderick Johnson too. I think he'll be our swing tackle.

Interested to see the young WRs again.

Hopefully Howard has a better game though. He should improve every week. That's all I care about. No big steps backwards.

Rudyc281, donkeypunch, whag00 and 2 others like this.
  9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Whats the deal with Rankin? Can he not beat out Henderson for that right tackle job? Hell, thats why he was drafted.

10. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

You know it's bad when you have a suite pass, 50-yardline club seats, and also pre-game field passes....and you decide it's not worth the hassle to go to NRG to watch these players playing today.

That's the call I just made. Not worth the trouble.

everyday eddie likes this.
  11. Two Sandwiches

I saw Pat Starr had some rumblings on him and Davenport, basically saying they both suck and neither have progressed the way the team would have hoped.

Made it sound like Rankin would make the team, but there's a chance Davenport may not (I doubt that. I think Kahlil would get cut first).

My guess is all these developmental troubles stem from wanting these guys to play every position. O'Brien and his piss poor track record with the offensive line will be what gets him fired, in my opinion.

He came in with an offensive line that was pretty good. It's a dumpster fire now, and has been for a few years.

Rudyc281 and Spacemoth like this.
  12. donkeypunch

LMAO. the dude is guaranteed at least 2.25mil to take up a locker.

13. Two Sandwiches

They better cut him because he'll get injured in the first four weeks and cost them more money.

juanm34 and donkeypunch like this.
  14. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

would at worst mean they would lose 5 games in their first 3 games?

macho GRANDE likes this.
  15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Sounds like somebody just itching to get hurt soon as the season starts.

[​IMG]

Where's the option for "cut this guy yesterday even though he's healthy, because he can't play?"

Two Sandwiches and donkeypunch like this.
  16. xaos

xaos Member

Not being sarcastic, but what's the point of these games (outside of money)?

17. Two Sandwiches

Typically, to get your team ready and to have to come together as a cohesive unit.

At least some of the coaches in the league still use them for that purpose...

macho GRANDE, Rudyc281 and xaos like this.
  18. donkeypunch

Oh, Its inevitable for that guy anyway.

19. xaos

xaos Member

I guess that's the main reason behind my question. It's hard to understand how the Texans use their preseason. I can understand not wanting to get your players hurt, but it seems the last two seasons it takes a few regular season games before we're out of "preseason" mode.

Just a side note: I'm not a die hard football fan, so I'm saying this as a very casual fan

20. Two Sandwiches

You nailed it though.

The last few season, we've started out super slow and then finally rebounded. Some people claim it's cuz we were at the Greenbrier. Others say it's because we're not utilizing the preseason.

xaos likes this.