1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Possible NHL Expansion

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ivenovember, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Beavis Stiffler

bump.

Brought this back up because for whoever is the new owner of the Rockets might also be interested in getting an expansion team (32nd franchise).

http://www.khou.com/sports/is-houston-next-on-the-list-for-a-professional-hockey-team/458731227

http://www.khou.com/sports/sports-extra/could-houston-support-an-nhl-team-/459018295

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The way the Toyota Center lease is set up... whoever is the owner of the Rockets pretty much has to be the owner of the NHL team to make it work financially.

Now, Tillman may be more open to re-negotiating terms to make it worth while for another owner... something Les was apparently not willing to do.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I have trouble believing that the likes of Charlotte, Columbus and Nashville are better markets for anything than Houston is.

I could dig Hockey if we had a team. But with no team I don't care, football was the same way for me back in the late 90's.

Pen15clubber, tmoney1101 and MadMax like this.
  4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

As far as markets go, Houston would still have to have a really good team to support it. One-trick cities like Columbus, OKC (with only one arena sport in each) actually do draw well consistently, regardless of the quality of the team.

Houston would support the hell out of a great hockey team... but if it was average to below average, there would be crickets chirping at those games.

I still remember the Rockets drawing 9,000 fans for a home game... during what would be their first championship season... for a team/core that was just coming off a tremendous playoff run the year before. Its just who Houston is.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

To be fair, that was nearly 25 years ago. Houston has added about 2 million people since then.

The NHL is a corporate game with very expensive tickets gobbled up by corporations. This city would do just fine supporting a hockey team; particularly given all the people living here who grew up in hockey markets.

6. edwardc

edwardc Member

Football on skates here in Houston would be great. Get it done HSA.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That added population of transplants and suburbites is neglible.

The Rockets fail to sellout games when they're in the thick of it. The Astros still are suffering in attendance despite being the most affordable and successful current franchise (that may still be due to the sucky years...next year should be better).

I don't disagree they can ultimately be supported... but there will be scores of empty seats with a bad or below average team.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The Rockets very rarely "sell tickets" poorly, they just fail to actually have asses in seats.

Almost all of those lower bowl seats are sold, so Les made his money, it just makes for a very s**tty atmosphere.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Listed attendances of 14 and 16K for a 19K arena would put them below average in the league. They averaged less than 17K last year, in what was a very entertaining/successful season... putting them at 21st in the league.

Yes, that problem has been beaten to death... but a lot of that still stems from the fact that they've had mainly only 1 deep playoff run in more than 20+ years... and that was a little flukeish thanks to the Clippers meltdown, and they followed that up with a dud of a season.

I don't expect the NHL team to do much better than that once the novelty wears off... unless they have some serious success. The only sport that is seemingly recession-proof is the NFL, but even in the 90's Oilers days, they struggled to lift blackouts at the deadline (Randalls routinely had to buy chunks of tickets so the games would be televised).

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think if Houston were to make a large bid for a team, they'd get one easily. There's not a market anywhere near the size of Houston in the running and when it comes down to it, does a team in Las Vegas help the NHL more than a team in Houston? Of course not. Seattle might be a strong contender but I think they'd be the major competition.

11. MadMax

which it seems is pretty much the case in a lot of NHL markets with teams that don't play well.

12. MadMax

And the value of the franchise is off the charts, regardless. It just sold for over $2 billion. The market means more to the owner and the leagues than just how many people buy tickets.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That's a little bit more applicable to NBA franchises than NHL franchises... because the TV money is exorbitant there right now (and not so much in the NHL).

Also, the Rockets brand is still entrenched in the market, and established beyond what any niche sport or expansion franchise could accomplish, not just locally but worldwide,... and yet attendance can still be a struggle sometimes.

I agree that if the NHL doesn't care much about consistent packed houses, and a middling TV market (Houston local sports ratings for Astros and Rockets games are slightly below league average)... then they can expand here I suppose for the corporate base alone.

I just feel that sports franchises need slightly more than corporate base to survive/thrive (but those are more than just bare minimum factors).

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed... but Tampa, Dallas, San Jose, Nashville do draw well (most comparable southern markets to Houston).

Dallas stars games drew more fans/game than Rockets games last year.

15. MadMax

Those markets draw well on the heels of winning. Just 5 years back Dallas was 3rd to last in attendance. Then they improved and people came back.

Historically, the southern markets need a winner or novelty of a new team to create attendance. Even Denver has shown to be that way of late. I don't think Houston would be any different.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed that every southern city is fair-weather of sorts... I just think the Houston market is even more of that extreme.

Losing the Oilers did make them so crazy for NFL football that they'll never come close to not selling out Texans games... and from 2000-2011, the Astros attendance was more than respectable (even after the newness of MMP wore out)... so there's always hope.

17. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I would love to see the NHL set up shop here in Houston.

18. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

So are the Carolina Hurricanes moving here or what?

19. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Sources: NHL and Rockets owner meet to talk NHL's viability in Houston

https://theathletic.com/156862/2017...ckets-owner-meet-talk-nhls-viability-houston/

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Should worry about getting fans out to Toyota Center/Rockets games first. ;)

Hockey?! That'll stay empty too.