1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Popovich - "we live in a racist country that hasn’t figured it out yet”

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ipaman, Feb 12, 2018.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's then irony that she is lambasting a basketball player voicing his opinion because of educational requirements while she is constantly defending a man who has a joke legacy admissions degree managing the highest office in the land .

Duncan McDonuts and vlaurelio like this.
  2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Moreover those players made intelligent decisions to leave school early in order to make millions right away. If they had decided to stay in school instead that would've been the stupid thing to do. Also KD went back and got his degree at UT I am sure she doesn't know that.

Anyways, idiots like her don't deserve the attention. She is pandering to her viewers and those of Fox News. Call her an idiot and then move on.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What is even more hilarous is that LeBron James has a wider range of vocabulary than Donald Trump.

#303 fchowd0311, Feb 16, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    Phillyrocket and Buck Turgidson like this.
  4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So, I don’t know you and I don’t know Popovich. Why should I give more credence to your thoughts than I do Popovich’s?

It seems you’re just talking semantics (as many of us do at times). The USA has certainly made progress since the slavery days, followed by the Jim Crow days, followed by other days, but the USA still is not where it needs to be with regards to race relations (and yes, this does apply to how blacks see whites as well).

It’s going to continue to take time. For instance, I am one generation removed from the time that Jackie Robinson was the first black player in MLB. It was still ‘acceptable’ for large numbers of people to holler out the N word and get no repercussion. That generation is still alive. My generation lived through times of blacks only fountains and bathrooms (for example). My children’s generation lived through times of blacks and other races still much less racially equal to whites. To deny that there is still racial inequality and racial issues (once again, in all directions), means that you’re ignoring what’s going on.

Yes...you are correct that opportunities exist for minorities and others have overcome the racial inequality to get good educations and good jobs and be successful.

That being said, read that previous sentence one more time and think really hard about it.

Rashmon, Deckard and ipaman like this.
  5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

you don't have to give more credence to me and you clearly don't. i got no problem with that. yes we've come along way and i'm proud about that and choose to focus on that because i think it gives momentum to finish the job. having said that, it will never be finished and pop's sort of implies there is a finish line and there will never be one. my approach doesn't do that imo. also, to say WE/OurCountry, as you and pop say, has a long way to go is ridiculous. this is a world, humanity, problem not just americans or white americans. cut the self hating bullshit and let's keep looking forward not looking backwards.

6. bobrek

You forced me to go back and read the handful of posts I have made in this thread. Nowhere did I write that the USA has a long way to go. Why are you misrepresenting what I wrote?

By the way...what do you mean look forward? Do you mean looking forward to a time when race doesn’t play a part in our day to day lives?

7. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

No doubt that the players made the smart decision to go pro. But we as a society shouldn't assume that celebrities are intelligent regarding public policy/government and follow their lead.

8. ipaman

Pop said "our country." Just like poverty, racism will never be completely eliminated. That's why I focus on just moving forward and trying to progress. Chastising, labeling, pointing fingers, etc... at folks slows down progress imo. Trust me when I say that folks who had nothing to do with the past don't want to be blamed for the past.

Also, I personally believe folks have the right to be racists if they want to be. Of course I disagree with them but I'd rather be open about it then have them hidden in plain sight. Pop will disagree with me but I'll let folks do what they do so long as what they do doesn't infringe on someone else's rights. Pop likely believes you don't have a right to be racist but he's wrong imo. Again, not condoning at all, but own it and be open about it.

9. bobrek

Sorry if I seem dense, but are you saying our country needs to continue moving forward and make progress regarding race relations.

10. ipaman

yes of course but to deny progress or claim no progress is a joke. also like poverty it will always be around at some level so we don't dwell on the past we just help today and going forward. no point in trying to eradicate it when we know it will never fully disappear. better to honor those who are for progress, educate, be inclusive, recognize nuances, etc... than to witch hunt, accuse ignorant folks of being racist, forcing a narrative of you either are or are not, treat all racism and discrimination as equal, etc... doesn't work imo and worse i think it can cause more division and racism. don't believe me, find an old ignorant person and accuse them of being a full blown racist, treat them as such, and watch them transform into a full blown racist.

i honestly think my opinion on this is just good common sense and frankly i'm shocked that folks would rather take a witch hunt trial approach.

deadlybulb likes this.
  11. bobrek

So to summarize, racism still exists in the USA and we need to continue to move forward and improve race relations?

Rashmon likes this.
  12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. ipaman

i don't think they should shut up but i'm not about mixing my sports with politics. should do as much as possible during off days and during the off season to help causes and communities. having said that, i blame espn and that sad laker nutrider champion for going there during all star weekend. lebron and kd were just asking questions so i they get a pass from me. also this is one of the reasons i don't watch espn anymore. they can't help themselves.

back to pop, he doesn't get a pass because he was asked a "sports" question about nba and their black history month and HE decided to go here
    we live in a racist country that hasn’t figured it out yet

both of those statements are flat out wrong. the entire planet has racism at some levels and i would argue that our country is one of the least racists on the planet. also, we've have facking figured out a whole lot. at this point pop is playing a character and he cares more about that than anything else. he's an old white pandering, judgmental, overbearing, has been.

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

We shouldn't assume anyone is intelligent regarding policy or that the intelligent ones are necessarily acting objectively or in good faith. Politics and policy affect everyone, college education has only been accessible to a majority of the population for a generation or so and we've had political movements and meaningful commentators long before that. I see no reason racist non-practicing lawyers and racist has been disc jockeys have more of a voice than athletes or entertainers, entertainers in particular were a generation or two ahead of the rest of the country on social issues.

Nook likes this.
  15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Racism is over because Democrats keep losing. This logic turd once again brought to you by cml750.

Nook likes this.
  16. cml750

cml750 Member

I
    I think you may want to work on your reading comprehension because what you think I said and what I actually said are no where remotely close.

#316 cml750, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    ipaman likes this.
  17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I'm not the grown man using infant's fables to handwave racism "cuz mah tame wun!" Keep washing yourself in the blood of Christ while your prophet's getting his own lawyers disbarred because he can't pay for his own damn whores.

Nook likes this.
  18. cml750

cml750 Member

You may want to see a therapist because you have some real issues.

19. omgTHEpotential

It seems to me that both sides are kinda wrong. I think 'racist country' is taking it too far. America today is the least racist America ever, and that is just a fact. On the other hand, it seems that the other side just wants everyone to forget that this 'racism' word even exists, and denies the problem.

20. Buck Turgidson

Bueller?...Bueller?...