1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Police Officer Misbehaving

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by edwardc, Jul 28, 2015.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Meh. I don't like any senseless killings either. I just don't think race is the driving factor in a bunch of these incidents.

3. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

I guess my Justice for Justine cry is working. Now that we are having a discussion about this case instead of a couple knuckle head racebaiters like CometsWin and that el Pollos chicken guy hurling around insults.
    I'm pretty sure the reason why the damn police had not even made a sound in these past three days, because they know the pig that shot Justine killed her in cold blood. They have a nightmare on their hands and they just don't know how to deal with this. This is the biggest news in Australia right now and I'm not surprised if this will become a major international incident. Some poster brought up that Mohammed heard a loud sound and shot in that direction and killed Justine. That is completely nonsense. The coroner who did the autopsy said he fired multiple shots point blank from the passenger's side where he was sitting towards Justine, who was standing by the driver's side talking to the other cop. One bullet went through the car door and hit her in the abdomen, they tried to perform CPR on her. Mohammed had only been with the force for less than 2 years and already racked up 3 complaints, the last one was for assault and false imprisonment that happened only 2 months ago in May, in law-enforcement, that's a lot of complaints for someone who's so new to the force. He could have easily killed his partner too by the direction he was shooting at. I'm telling you guys, there is no way in hell you could spin this. This rotten, triggered happy pig murdered Justine in cold blood. I expect murder charges will be brought against him soon. Justine's family as well as Australia will not settle for anything less.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  4. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

This is wrong in all accounts, read my posts again for a more accurate description of what happened to Justine.

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Got it, white women shot by minority cop - cold blooded murder. Minority shot by white cop - that's just justice.

edwardc likes this.
  6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Are we training the police force in this country the right way?

7. Newlin

Newlin Member

Police work is really really difficult. I couldn't do the job. I wish there could be a way to train officers so that they would never make a fatal mistake. But, considering how many times cops interact with the public on a daily basis, I realize that mistakes are going to be made. I want perfection from police officers, but perfection is probably not a reality when people are making split second decisions.

It is starting to sound like the officer in this case is going to say he heard a loud noise and then saw someone approaching the police car. It could be that the officer will claim that he thought this was maybe an ambush situation and that he just reacted in self defense when he saw the woman approach the car.

I'm not saying the officer has a legitimate excuse for his actions. I'm just trying to come up with an explanation as to why he opened fire.

8. pirc1

Exactly, not everyone is fit to be a police, where people's lives depend on you. I believe there are many unqualified police in this country that needs to be weeded out.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Alright, it was just a guess based on a summary of the situation I read.

Where did you read that multiple shots were fired while she was just talking to the other cop?

I'm also curious what were the details behind the complaints filed against him, and how unusual that is. I read one was dismissed and another was filed by a woman with alleged mental health problems when she was taken against her will to a hospital.

10. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Police are responsible for a very, very small portion of homicides. They don't even register as a contributing factor to violence in places like St. Louis, Baltimore, Detroit, and Chicago.

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

They should be responsible for zero. But of course, that's not possible as there are no such thing as no bad cop. But that should be our bar.

As for #. There is no official records, but an estimate is there are about 3 killing per day, 1100 per year by police. Many of them are "justified". I have my doubt on "justified" given the system we have today.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Basically.
    This 'debate' plays out as expected

not alot of . . .waiting for more evidence
    not alot of . . .she should have complied
    not alot of . . .we don't know what she did
    not alot of . . .Let's investigate her past to the finest detail

meh . . . .

Rocket River

13. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

When I added up the 2015 totals: 12% of homicides occur in those four cities.

Just 1.4% of the US population lives in those cities. It's like the opposite of Pakistan - where instead of the small enclaves in major cities being the most prosperous and crime-free areas, they are the least prosperous and most crime ridden areas. If you avoid those cities, never stepping foot in them, you significantly decrease the likelihood that you will be befallen to homicide.

Code:
    |city      | homicides| population|
    |:---------|---------:|----------:|
    |chicago   |       478|    2728695|
    |baltimore |       344|     621252|
    |st louis  |       188|     317095|
    |detroit   |       295|     673225|

To me it seems that some of the most controversial homicides by police have occurred in these cities. There is a relationship between the violent crime rate and the homicide-by-police rate. Violent crime is the explanatory variable for homicides by police.

One way to reduce the number of homicides by police is to reduce the violent crime rate.

Good luck with that - because it's only increasing.

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The bar for bad cop and unjust killing should be zero. Just because it's higher elsewhere and there may be a relationship to violent crime rate doesn't justify bad cop and unjust killing, or is reason to ignore and not have a high standard. Also, 82% is nothing to sneeze at.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Black officer, white woman - he'll probably be found guilty.

edwardc likes this.
  16. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

More information needed. Was she wrestling with this cop while carrying a glock? Did she just rob a convenience store? Was she driving her SUV at officers? Stay tuned. The 911 call should be released soon. I will side with law enforcement until more is known....

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not as simple as that, though I'm sure some of the more simple minded D&D posters who can't see beyond race might think that. The problem that these officers are going to have is that there is nothing to back them up on this. There's no dashcam, there's no bodycam, there's nothing but their word. I'm not sure what exactly their story is going to be just yet but it better be good.

Other cases ended up siding with the officers involved usually due to the evidence that exonerated them such as body cam footage, dash cam footage, physical injuries caused by the assailant, or similar evidence. In this case, we don't know of anything to help their side of the story so it's going to be more difficult.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

There is a heavy bias in our judicial system, warranted or not, that protects police officers who use lethal force. I think this outstrips any racial bias that may exist against black defendants. So I doubt he is convicted of anything criminal, especially given the lack of hard evidence establishing criminal liability.

19. pirc1

Body cams should be mandatory for all police officers on duty.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D