1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Point Differential going into the Playoffs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NIKEstrad, Apr 21, 2005.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Couldn't find a good thread for this, so I started a new one.

The Mavs and Rockets are actually 4 and 5 in the NBA in point differential, behind San Antonio, Phoenix, and Miami. San Antonio leads the league at +7.80. The 72-10 Bulls team had a point different of over +12!

To give you an idea of how good these teams have been down the stretch, I compiled the point differential for these teams down the stretch- March 1 to the end of the season.

The Mavs have a pretty blistering +8.6 over 27 games, going 20-7. That's a 61 win pace.

The Rockets meanwhile, compiled a 19-7 record over 26 games, with a monstrous +9.5 for a 60 win pace. 14 of the 19 wins were by double digits, 12 were by 14 or more, and 8 were by 19+. In contrast, 3 of the Rockets 7 losses were by 5 or less.

For a comparison of the other top teams in the league (I left out San Antonio and Miami because both have kind of tip toed to the end with injuries to Duncan/Shaq)
    The Phoenix Suns went 19-6 over 25 games, and put up a +6.0, or +7.3 if you ignore their game 82 loss by 25 to Sacramento.

The Detroit Pistons went 19-9 over 28 games (which included an 11 game win streak, a 5 game win streak and 2 3 game losing streaks) put up a modest +3.4.

During their respective late season win streaks...
    Pistons: +13.5 (11 games)
    Rockets: +16.5 (7 games)
    Mavericks: +13 (9 games)

Personally, I think whoever wins this series will roll the Suns. Dallas and Houston are playing the best basketball in the West right now, and it's gonna make for one heck of a series.

2. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Wow, I don't think I realized the Rox were crushing people that bad. Hah! Rox in 5.

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I love when Nikestrad posts.