1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playoff tie/go ahead shots in last 24 sec taken by MVP’s in last 20 years...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, May 19, 2020.

1. bmd

bmd Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

apollo33 likes this.
  2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'd like to also see the stats for assists & hockey assists which led to successful playoff tie/go ahead shots in last 24 sec over the last 20 years

Lawlruschang, topfive and D-rock like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

So this confirms that Dirk and not Lebron should be in consideration for GOAT?

Or Kobe cannot hold Steph's jock?

waytookrzy079 likes this.
  4. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

#8 is a miss in a win?

Weird.

Also, likely all 4 at 0.0 is a desperation heave.

12 shots is incredibly small sample.

Most of Hardens clutch shots I remember come with more than 24 seconds. Not every "clutch" shot is the last possession.

But of course

Narrative

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

He's the GWOAT. And that ain't bad.

Bryant has always been overrated due to being a Laker and marketing.

@bmd I'd like to see the past 50 years of MVP for this stat.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

It’s a pretty much meaningless sample size.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Harden is a top 10 scorer of all time but he ain't an all time great "bucket maker". There is a difference.

In closing game situations usually on the last possession where 3 vs 2 doesn't matter and you know the ref is going to swallow the whistle and all that matters is putting that ball through the hole, guys like Kobe and KD are flat out better.

There are multiple reasons. Harden usually needs to trance defenders before he gets a clean shot off. Harden also struggles when he doesn't have a dribble or lost his dribble while guys like Kobe and Durant are masters at getting great shots up without a single dribble utilizing footwork and length. They also make significanltly higher difficulty finishes around the rim along with just having the ability to rise up for a clean shot with no seperation created. Harden isn't that type of scorer. He's more methodical and relies on 3>2 and fta for efficiency.

Lawlruschang, gotsis and jeevinesh like this.
  8. fchowd0311

I mean these are equalized metrics with every player given the same criteria. I don't know how it's a "narrative". It's not cherry picked. It's literally just last possession scoring efficiency in clutch situations. I've seen these type of stats posted all the time on neutral NBA discussion boards and no one complains about a "narrative".

#8 fchowd0311, May 20, 2020
    Last edited: May 20, 2020
  9. rocketseagles07

Lol @ it being a narrative. James is great, but y’all can’t continue to pick the stats you like and dismiss the ones you don’t

gotsis, kjayp and fchowd0311 like this.
  10. fchowd0311

I'm sure being a Laker helped with his marketing but I don't think Harden would be the poster child of the NBA like Kobe was even if Harden was a career Laker and that has to do with aesthetics of the game and chrisma. Kobe had charisma, good looks and his game was universally seen as smooth, explosive, pretty and very similar to Jordan. His only knock was that many people considered him a ball hog. No one accused him of gaming the system with foul bait antics and spamming threes using one repeated monotonous move over and over. He's just flat out more fun to watch than Harden. He was the perfect culmination of traits for a NBA marketer's dream.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Some stats aren't very helpful...particularly when assessing the value of someone who has taken thousands of shots by his shooting percentage on 12 shots.

Patience and Deep Waters like this.
  12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

It’s 12 shots. 12. Even if 100% of them weren’t last second heaves are you arguing this is a significant number?

13. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

It it was 30 seconds, he would have 2 more

Deep Waters, Patience and D-rock like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Some are clutch, some are clutchest....

15. Deep Waters

Deep Waters Member

I distinctly remember Harden icing the Spurs in 'Yota Center a few years backs with a cold blooded shot to win the game. Perhaps there was more than 24 seconds on the clock? Seems like it was the last shot of the game in memory.

16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Clutchfans:
    If the stat supports Hardens greatness = valid...
    If the stat is not complimentary = invalid/small sample size/media conspiracy...

lol

17. Deep Waters

Deep Waters Member

Omitted accidentally on purpose? :cool:

Patience, BigMaloe and D-rock like this.
  18. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

or he dribbled out the clock to then take the last shot with time expiring... not leaving the other team enough time to take a shot of their own...

speaking of narratives...

lol

19. Deep Waters

Deep Waters Member

Ah. Playoff games, whoops.

20. fchowd0311

Yes but they don't just cut off 30 second game winners for Harden. They do it for all players. Is Harden inherently more prone to making game winners with 30 seconds left compared to less than 24 seconds left relative to everyone else on there chart?