1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playoff rotation

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by kevC, Sep 19, 2017.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

If he comes out, looks good, is healthy, shows he can throw 80+ pitches and feel fine 5 days later, then he should start. With 2 weeks left though, I think we have to look at David Pricing him.

Agreed

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

He has had 9+ weeks to do so. Not much confidence two more weeks will make a significant difference.

3. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Lol. Oh, I see.

You're on buddy.

#23 T for 3, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

While I doubt he'll show he's healthy and in shape these last 2 weeks, I don't think Astros care what he's done the past 9 weeks if in these two weeks he, however unlikely, shows he's healthy and in shape.

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

There isn't anything knee-jerky about Verlander getting the Game 1 nod. He's literally been one of the best pitchers in the entire league for damn near 3 months. Also, going 1) Verlander 2) Keuchel allows us to go R-L-R which the Astros have always liked.

And if you've watched baseball for longer than this season, you would know that entire season stats mean about as little in baseball as any sport. It's all about how you're trending in September, and right now, Verlander is the ****ing man.

Joshfast, marks0223 and kaleidosky like this.
  6. JonRetro

JonRetro Contributing Member

Game 1: Verlander
    Game 2: Keuchel
    day off
    Game 3: Peacock
    *Game 4: Verlander
    day off
    *Game 5: Keuchel

*if necessary

marks0223 likes this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I've seen a lot of baseball and know guys can go hot and cold on a dime. September stats are almost worthless in predicting what a guy does in October except when injuries are involved (which is applicable to this situation). However, Verlander is more than just a guy hot at the end of the season. He's got a great track record that is more than just a couple months of being great. Verlander sucked earlier in the year, but that doesn't matter that much consider he is pitching now like he did in 2015 and 2016. The full body of work with the recent success favors Verlander.

Peacock and Morton have been significantly better than Keuchel lately, but I guarantee Keuchel gets a start before those guys provided he's healthy and in shape.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If he just flat out looks abysmal in his few appearances before the postseason maybe, but can you really name 12/13 pitchers worthy of taking ahead of LMJ, even if he isn't in the rotation?

Keuchel
    Verlander
    McHugh
    Peacock
    Morton

Giles
    Devo
    Musgrove
    Harris
    Gregerson

It gets really f**king sketchy after that,and that's with me give Greg the benefit of the doubt that he probably doesn't deserve this year.

I still like Feliz and Martes arms, and potential future value, but I sure as hell don't want them throwing meaningful pitches right now.

I'll take my chances with question mark LMJ.

kaleidosky likes this.
  9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Three man rotation:

Keuchel
    Verlander
    McHugh

Bring in Peacock or Morton late in tied games. Only bring in the teeth of the bullpen in save/hold situations.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Game 1 - Verlander
    Game 2 - Keuchel
    Game 3 - Peacock

Game 1 - Verlander
    Game 2 - Keuchel
    Game 3 - Peacock
    Game 4 - McHugh

Game 1 - Verlander
    Game 2 - Keuchel
    Game 3 - Peacock
    Game 4 - McHugh/Musgrove/Devenski/Giles with the Save

Joshfast likes this.
  11. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I think you go RHP. LHP, RHP if possible, regardless. Have a power pitcher to follow-up Keuchel just to keep folks off-balanced. Do strategies change if Game 3/4 are close-out or elimination games? It also depends how the bullpen is used in the firs two games. I know it's not the NFL but not revealing your games 3/4 starters hurts the other team in terms of prep and reviewing scouting reports.

I also think we go with 11 pitchers in Round 1. (We went with 9 in the wild card game back in 2015). Flexibility in pinch running takes priority.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yes, if LMJ is not ready to pitch again this regular season or pitches abysmally the rest of the season. We are too close to the end of the season to assume a guy that is not ready to pitch will be ready to pitch well by the ALDS.

Did I miss an announcement that LMJ was ready to pitch?

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Verlander has pitched one game on short rest, and that was because he only pitched 1 inning in the first start before the game was delayed by rain.

Too bad we aren't facing Oakland in the Postseason. Verlander has gone 31IP, 1 ER, 43Ks in his last 4 postseason starts against them. Downright scary.

14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The JV stat vs OAK isn't encouraging.

It means he's only had 2 other good starts out of eleven.

15. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I love the 4 inning tandem idea

16. theimpossibles1

I'm just lol-ing at the thought of a fan of a losing team stumbling upon this thread...

Let's start this Cy Young award winner. No, let's start THIS Cy Young award winner!

17. awc713

awc713 Member

I doubt there will be a standing "starting 4" rotation. Hinch has always been flexible. The depth of our arms will be on full f'ing display. We have so many pitchers who can throw multiple innings.

Hinch will play the ballparks and the matchups. I think we're far more likely to see guys like LMJ, Musgrove, McHugh at home, and arms like Morton, Peacock, Devo, Harris on the road. Trying to pin-point a "starting 4" is moot. It'll vary on the matchup and the opponent.

Let's see how Lance pitches these last two weeks. That'll be very telling. I really hope he's back.

It's 11 wins. We've never had pitching depth like this. And our lineup? Bro. 'm f'ing giddy.

GO STROS

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. Buck Turgidson

How couldn't you? Stros have starters who kick all kinds of ass, then struggle the 3rd time through the lineup. I really like Peacock/Morton. Then you have Peacock rested enough to pitch in his next game, whenever that would be.

chievous minniefield and SWTsig like this.
  20. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

How bout a McCullers/McHugh combo?