1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Player to Watch: Delonte West

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by NIKEstrad, Nov 4, 2006.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm afraid to post this in the abyss that is the GARM, and it's also a bit early.

But, if Rafer continues to forget how to shoot, and we don't trust Spanoulis or JL3, I see us pushing hard to pick up Delonte West.

West was very much a "Morey-Ball" pick by the Celtics - an undersized 6'4'' 2 guard in college (Jameer Nelson's running mate at St. Joe's) that no one knew if he could be converted to PG. Does tons of things well, but nothing great. After a so-so rookie campaign, he was rock solid last year, 11.8 ppg, 4.6 apg, 4.1 rpg, ~2.5 A:TO ratio, 48.7 FG%, 38.5 3P%, 85.1% FT%. 1.2 steals, and .6 blocks (as a point guard!). In addition, West posted some pretty strong plus/minus splits (+1.1 on/-5.5 off, net +6.6).

Despite a pretty solid season, the Celtics opted to find a point guard, and added both Sebastian Telfair and Rajan Rondo. Meanwhile, with Pierce and Wally Z set at the wings, and Rondo the primary backup point, West is reduced to a backup 2 guard role - and competing with fellow first rounders Tony Allen and Gerald Green for minutes.

I see him as both expendable in Boston and desirable in Houston. I don't know what the price would be - maybe a future first rounder and we take him under a trade exception?

Are there any other reasonable players out there who could help us (presumably at the 1 or the 4) that are for one reason or another expendable to their teams?

2. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

The Celtics will never give up Delonte West because he bears too much resemblance to a leprechaun. j/k

The Knicks have Marbury, Francis, and Nate Crawford that can all play PG. Anybody got any thoughts on Mardy Collins? The Knicks got him at 29. Probably doesn't matter because thier payroll is HUGE but he'd save them some LTax $ if a TE was involved.

He probably is a locker room cancer...Jeff McInnis has fallen from grace throughout the entire league. But he'd be cheap.

The Pacers have 3 or 4 PG's...

The TWolves have Mike James, Randy Foye, Marko Jaric and Troy Hudson. Jaric probably doesn't play enough D for VG but he'd be interesting IMO.

My dislike for Alston is documented. Suffice it to say whomever they target IMHO ought to be a physical specimen (tall and/or strong ala Billups or Livingston) or...most importantly if you've not been turned off by my rants...a PG who can get their own shot.

But my opinion(s) seems to be 180 opposite this $Ball stuff.

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

That's a good guesstimate NIKEstrad... you know Morey would be interested in West also.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't watching Mike James and hoping he has some sort of falling out with the T-Wolves. I can't see any way we could acquire him, especially since it would activate his trade-kicker (cough) ... but oh would I love to have him take Rafer Alston's place right now.

4. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Even after tonight? JVG has been raving about Rafer's off season work. I think he is going to be more than adequate this year.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

To me Mike James on the Wolves is playing that gritty Cassell role for them. But I think it will be interesting to see how James, Ricky Davis, T-Hud, and Foye all manage their shots this year. Looks like early on Foye is the one that is taking the backseat.

Honestly, if the team starts losing later in the season they seriously could look at moving James (even with the kicker) because they have a younger version of him in Foye. So something to watch. Years ago the Wolves wanted to do a Cassell for Howard trade. Think they might want to move James for Howard+something? ;-)

NIKE, West is a great call. He is rock solid but is getting the short end of the stick in minutes with Rondo/Telfair. Someone to watch.

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Nothing more than a bump for a good game, but West was 10-16 tonight for 25 points and 6 assists .... hit 3-3 from long range too.

After a rough start shooting the ball, he's now at 40.8% from the field and 40.6% from long range after tonight (granted he's only put up 79 threes this year, but considering how well he shot last year, it's not out of line).

Considering the minutes he's getting, I would guess he's off the market... but the Celtics have to do something soon. That team is 12-26.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I watched a little bit of that game. West does a lot of things well. He can shoot, drive, do a fast break and is smart. He would be a really nice backup here in my opinion.

While I agree that Boston needs to make some moves, I dont see how we get West with what we have unless we give up a draft pick or if we are part of a larger deal and are a 3rd+ team.

Boston has a lot of young players. Their only "move" to make is to find another veteran that can play with Pierce and those two lead the team along with the younger studs. We don't have the veteran to give them.

I tell ya, Boston has to be kicking themselves with that Telfair deal for the #7 pick. Telfair hasn't looked good. They could have had Roy. Maybe it was worth it to get Ratliff's expiring contract (and jettison LaFrentz's deal). I don't know.

8. MManal

MManal Member

Speaking of players to watch, has anyone been watching Acie Law at Texas A&M. As much as it makes me ill to say this considering my strong burnt orange affiliations, he would be the ideal PG for what this team needs and my choice of who I would want the Rockets picking. Its questionable if he will last into the 20s if the Aggies have a huge tournament run but this is the guy the Rockets should take a long look at imo. Law is a lot like Delonte West in that he is not a true PG but more a SG in a PG body. Law has actually has been playing PG for the Aggies and seems to be serviceable atleast in terms of getting the ball up the court and the team into the offense.

I actually think that Law has a brighter upside than Luther Head because the guy has an excellent mid range game to go along with his 3 pt shooting prowess. He doesnt strike me as having as quick a first step as Cuttino Mobley, but the guy seems to have no problem getting his shot off the dribble because he does have a quick release and a good first step. Law is a very good defender and imo the type of player JVG would love to have in his system. One other thing to note, Law seems to play better as the game gets bigger and is the master of hitting the big shot. I doubt he would be sitting as much as Novak and Spanoulis have this yr because he does seem to be a very finished and NBA ready product. Last night's dagger against Kansas was pretty much par for the course. Monday night's game should be very interesting. I have no idea if they keep differentials for college, but I would bet that they are staggering for when Law is playing vs. when he is not.