1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pettitte's return is pushed back

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Sattle, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Sattle

Sattle Contributing Member

Pitcher to get one more rehab start

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/NASAp...619&content_id=774964&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp

HOUSTON -- Andy Pettitte's return from the disabled list has been pushed back until at least June 29 after Houston management decided Saturday to give the injured left-hander one more rehabilitation start rather than activate him this week.
    Pettitte, who allowed two runs in three innings in a rehab start for the Round Rock Express on Friday night, was hoping to return to the Houston rotation Wednesday against the Pittsburgh Pirates. Pettitte has been on the disabled list since May 31 because of a strained left forearm.

"From what I gather, the elbow isn't 100 percent, probably isn't going to be 100 percent, and there are probably always going to be some issues that we can manage," Houston general manager Gerry Hunsicker said.

"I think everyone will be more confident if we can get him stretched out to five or six innings or 70-75 pitches and regain some of the sharpness he's lost due to this period of inactivity."

Pettitte said he was feeling much better but admits he is not 100 percent healthy. The delay is a result of several factors, including some slight soreness, being rusty from inactivity and questions whether he would actually be ready Wednesday.

"I was always pushing for Wednesday (but) I don't think they were ever real comfortable for a starting pitcher to last three innings (and come back)," Pettitte said. "They want me to stretch it out a little more."

Pettitte said his curveball wasn't quite where it needed to be, and he wasn't able to control the location of his fastball as well as he'd prefer Friday night against Frisco.

"There was some soreness, but I hadn't pitched in a month competitively; so, it feels pretty good (to be back)." Pettitte said.

"I want to pitch here Wednesday, I do, but they (Hunsicker, manager Jimy Williams and pitching coach Burt Hooton) feel like I need one more (rehab start). I've been out a month and I was pretty rusty. My location was pretty rusty and my command was pretty rusty, so I feel like the best thing for me to do for the team is make one more rehab start."

Pettitte will pitch Wednesday, probably for Triple-A New Orleans, where he'll be seeking to pitch five innings or 70-75 pitches. If all goes well there, he could return when his spot in the rotation comes up again, which would be June 29 against the Chicago Cubs at Wrigley Field.

While Pettitte is on the disabled list, Peter Munro has been filling his spot in the rotation. The right-hander pitched 6 1/3 scoreless innings Friday night against Anaheim.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

What's the latest on Carlos Hernandez.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not good... he only went 1.2 innings yesterday and gave up 7 ER, with no strikeouts.

The start before that, however was 7 innings of shutout baseball.

The combination of Pettite admitting he was really rusty, and Munro's great performance, allows the Astros to push his start back one more turn.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Andy went 5 strong innings last night @ RR. I believe he gave up 1 hit, no runs, and k'd 5 in 5 IP. Looks like he's ready to come back for his next start against the Cubbies.