1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

People are dicks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Outlier, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

As I read through this thread, my knowledge that the OP is correct is reaffirmed.

2. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Brass from an M61 Vulcan........wow!

3. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I liked it so much better when people were boobs...and not dicks.

Nook likes this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

If a guy is knocking on my window I would think I needed a gun and not confront him.

It's really not that hard.

And obviously it's not by appearance alone.

I

5. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

For those pesky T-rex zombies...

Ottomaton likes this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Did he call you a peeping Tom?

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It was more like he threw a blob of indecipherable cuss words at me

8. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I would much rather be around the elderly, animals and children

People are dicks

9. Buck Turgidson

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

So
    So, I asked if you would confront someone that opened their door into your car while you were sitting in it.

You responded with no, not if I needed a gun.

I asked how you could even judge if you needed a gun, it would have to be by appearance of a person.

You said no, if someone was knocking on your window, you thought you would need a gun.

So to surmise: guy opens door into your vehicle. You DONT confront, He knocks on your window instead(maybe to exchange information). You feel like you would need a gun in this situation cause you didnt judge him by his appearance.

Got it. You must live in a bubble.

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

How, exactly, do handicapped people look?

12. VanityHalfBlack

Don't roll down your window. ever. I would just ignore and move to another spot.

13. edwardc

edwardc Member

Or do the unthinkable and call 911 and have them deal with it.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I guess I missed the opening the car door, If somebody opens my car door without permission that's not confrontation that self defense.

Everything else makes no sense in this post.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

medal with what? 20% chance 911 sends a unit to help settle a door ding. 0% if it’s HPD and they won’t show up for an hour if they show up at all

16. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Having a gun means the cliché applies "If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"

The only situation I can think of when a gun is handy is if society has broken down (such as during Katrina or during war). In that instance, you are on your own to simply get basic supplies and protection. As long as you can still call the police, it's usually best do so.

The rest of the time, a criminal is jumping you and/or emotions are running high. In these instances, the ability for you to engage a criminal successfully is 50/50, at best. Those are not good odds. If you are getting jumped, a gun does you no good. If you are angry/emotional, a gun does you no good. If you don't have a gun, you'll be much more likely to search for another solution where nobody gets hurt (except maybe your pride).

If you do have a gun, there is also the opportunity for someone to get hurt that would not otherwise, such as kids, while cleaning your gun, etc etc. That is risk you've introduced. There is also the chance you(or the criminal) hurts an innocent bystander that would not otherwise get hurt.

Sometimes guns are helpful. But sometimes they create problems where none exists or could be avoided. It's only an illusion that guns are good as a tool for protection.

Oh, and yes, people are dicks. That's obvious. You don't need to be one. In fact, you can pay it forward. They may have just had the worst day of their lives and perhaps your act of kindness can cheer up that person and be a difference. You may not see them snap out of it but that doesn't mean they didn't register it.

Be nice to other people with no expectation that they'll return the favor.

17. SuraGotMadHops

Generally speaking, the self-absorption and entitled culture seems to be running rampant these days. Nobody thinks they do anything wrong, and in their eyes everybody else is the wrong one. One of the most applicable anecdotes to describe this is "if you drive to work and come across an a-hole, that person is an a-hole. If you drive to work and come across 10 a-holes, chances are YOU are the a-hole." People think everyone else is an a-hole when they themselves are a-holes. Chances are in the OP's story the crew that gave him fits in the parking lot think they are right, regardless of how wrong they are.

cmoak1982 and donkeypunch like this.
  18. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

The world is full of grown-ass adults who have missed the growing up part.

SuraGotMadHops and donkeypunch like this.
  19. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

I'm with this. I actually think most people are pretty cool. I get to interact with LOTS of people on a very personal level and find that most folks want the same thing. To have a good day. That said, there are some major dicks out there, many named Karen. I trust karma or Jesus or the universe to work it out.

This would make a much more interesting conversation however if one of the CFs said, "I'm a dick." "I slam peoples car cause I like the sound and the look on their faces." Something like that. Probably only a few A holes in the world but they get around so it seems like a million.

20. likestohypeguy

people are dicks, when you're a dickwad, faces look ugly when you're alone.