1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Patterson - maybe not as bright a star as originally thought

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vince, Mar 14, 2012.

1. vince

vince Member

I'll start off, he's definitely NBA material. Just not star material.

I was thinking last season that Patrick Patterson would be the future of the Rockets starting power forward. I thought there was a diamond in the rough. But now into his sophmore season, I think that Patrick Patterson is showing he'd be a good back up at best type player.

He doesn't go inside, for the amount of minutes he plays he averages only 0.6 free throw attempts per game. To me that means that he is a jump shooter and is not comfortable getting beat up around the rim. He settles, which would be fine for a Small forward or a guard; after all those guys make their living shooting outside. But not so for Power Forwards, those guys need to be around the basket or impose their way under the basket.

At his current rate of production, if he were playing 30 minutes a game, he'd be averaging about 10 to 11 points a game and getting about 6 to 6.5 rebounds a game. Hardly starters worthy production.

He's merely a nice bench player, and not the potential star I was thinking the Rockets had.

One disclaimer, I listen to the games on the Radio so I'm not viewing the little things he might do that don't come into the box score or get mentioned on the radio.

So, what's y'all impression of his future potential???

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Career backup PF or starter for mediocre teams, that's his ceiling right now if he doesn'T improve drastically.

3. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Sophomore slump.

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Solid player at the 4.

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

vince - maybe not as patient as he should be.

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

This year has definitely been a step backwards. The athleticism is still clearly there, but it seems like he lost a lot of confidence after a slow start to the year. He's got great post moves; they just didn't fall, and he gave up that part of his game after about a month.

I haven't given up. He's either going to be a hit or a bust. I don't believe he'll settle into something in between like Ariza has done. Next year hopefully he'll be healthy to start the year and fulfill my initial hopes in him becoming the next David West or Paul Millsapp. He's actually got better hops, better length, and better defense than both of those guys. At least he did last year. His jump shot was comparable without nearly the same range. If he can put it all together with a post game, watch out. He's still got a chance to be borderline allstar-quality.

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

8. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

He really didn't get much to recover from that surgery. Lets see what he does next season. That should be an indicator.

9. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Why the hate? Can we wait at least a day after his game saving block on one the most athletic players in the league.

10. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My "impression" of him is that he is doing everything that he is being asked to do at this stage in his career.

How about we see what he does as a you know a "starter" before we completely write his entire career off as nothing more than a "solid backup".

1 person likes this.
  11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He ain't got no damn post moves.

12. VBG

VBG Member

Right now he seems to be a great off the bench big man but that's it. I think he can develop a little more.

13. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

the only thing pat has to work on his post moves

14. senter

senter Member

A question that I was pondering a few days ago but didn't want to start a new thread about... who would you rather have on your team, Patterson or Taj Gibson? I feel like they are both in that same tier of really good young 4s with loads of potential, but their games are different from each others. What do you guys think?

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

This year just set up poorly for him.

Lockout, coach change, injuries.

He'll be fine. Definite starter material.

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

He had off-season surgery, which definitely limited his mobility at the beginning of the season due to the lockout. I think he's rounding into shape right about now, and from this point forward, we will see him make strides. Patience is a virtue. The kid is in his second year.

17. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Well, offensively he doesn't have those low post moves that a star player normally has, so that is holding him back. I think he is a pretty good defensive player, and his rebounding numbers would be fine if were getting starters minutes. I think he is still working on his offense and he will continue to improve in that area.

A borderline starter from where he was drafted is not great, but it's not terrible either. It's not unusual for first round draft picks to be total flops, we should know as we have several from the 2009 class. If all he turns out to be is a solid backup, I'm not too disappointed as I didn't expect him to be a star player.

I'm more concerned about Morris at this point. I didn't expect Morris to be a star either, but I thought he might get a little playing time.

18. finsraider

finsraider Member

Wouldn't give up on him just yet. All-star?? Maybe not, but I don't see why he can't eventually be one of those "bordline" guys, ala Martin, Lowry, and Scola.

19. zcity

zcity Contributing Member

PP

Solid thread(Not) coming the day after he's saves the Day in Ok City !!!

Dude coming of Surgery has been progressing very nicely this season. I look for big things from PP . . .

20. cardpire

cardpire Member

none of these guys that morey has received heaps of undue praise for drafting have been as bright a star as originally thought. (bud, patt, brooks, etc.)

they simply are forced into tons of minutes as a rookie, and end up putting up decent rookie stats as a result of the minutes. then they stagnate, and people are in shock.