1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Parsons karma hits the mavs with Yogi Ferrell

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by iNoseBleedRed, Jul 20, 2018.

1. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Mavs had this guy locked up as an RFA. Bright future, lit up Portland for 30 points in one of his first games.

They just rescinded his qualifying offer as they had a handshake agreement with him to sign him to a (horrible) 2 year 5.3 million dollar deal. (They just signed dirk’s corpse to 1 year for 5 million)

Well, his agent just started hearing that teams such as the Cavs and Grizzlies are interested in paying bigger bucks, so he’s now telling the Mavs the equivalent of “F you, I’m now an unrestricted free agent and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.”

I know that the parsons signing itself was karma for the parsons signing, but some portions of karma also include dessert, which comes long after the meal.

As Macklemore once said, “this is f’ing awesome”

roslolian likes this.
  2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Eh, they aren't really in the hunt. Not sure they'll be hurt that much if they end up spending $5M on someone who is not a 6' point guard.

Believe me: I'm all for misfortune befalling the Mavs management, but I'm not sure this is it. As you say, they're already laughable for paying $5M for Dirk's set-shooting cadaver.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't understand, why'd they rescind the qualifying offer?
    Ostensibly because they had a deal on the table ready to sign that second, right?

Or were they up against some kind of deadline where they had to rescind it or not, had handshake numbers worked out but nowhere near a contract ready to put pen to paper, so they said we'll rescind and keep working to finalize, at the risk of it not happening and losing him when they could have just forced him to take the QO?

If the later, I guess lesson learned? Should have just made him sign the QO. 95% of the way done is still far from done when it comes to signing deals -be it sports, business or whatever. They should know that.

da_juice likes this.
  4. craguin

craguin Member

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well we werent that hurt when Parsons walk away too, he wasnt worth the max Morey probably didnt even want to match anyway.

The important thing here is the face slapping.

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i think it had something to do with managing cap

7. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Mark Cuban must treat players with disrespect, Yogi height must have made fun of on a daily basis, along with his First name Yogi, Yogi Bear. It was a tactical move. Fake smile, Fake agreement, Don't worry I'll sign, Unrestricted move by not giving a qualifying offer. I'm a free man, Yes. I can finally start and get bigger minutes with the Kings, than play behind
    Dennis Smith Jr and J.J Barea with Mavs.

8. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Except we were kinda hurt. It was most definitely a betrayal. Morey was vindicated in the end though.

DreamShook likes this.
  9. awc713

awc713 Member

Yogi is gonna be a good, serviceable player. People overlook the height issue. This isn't 1990. If you can create space, you can play. I'm a big IU fan, so maybe my opinion is a bit biased, but Yogi can ball. He's strong as nails, too. Jacked. Now, like most middling NBA teams, how well he plays will have a lot to do with coaching and the talent around him, but he can be a serviceable player for years to come. Kid is a winner.

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Disagree. Parsons was a fan favorite. I think Morey really liked him. Morey treated him like no other player I have ever seen (business wise). Morey is all about maximum value signings. Morey declined Parsons option when he was at peak value because of a handshake deal getting Dwight to Houston.

macho GRANDE and Asian Sensation like this.
  11. Asian Sensation

Agreed. There was a lot of butthurt at the time when we lost him especially since we lost him to the Mavs. He was pretty dope as a Rocket but glad things worked in our favor in the end.

dmoneybangbang and DreamShook like this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We're paying one 40 mill per lulz.

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It hurts. IT HURTS.

saleem and ThatBoyNick like this.
  14. omgTHEpotential

Yogi's agent should be paid double. Shrewd.

15. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

Yogi and Parsons? Talk about apple and orange...

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

CP3 is worth every penny.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

18. CCorn

CCorn Member

Looks like DeAndre Jordan is already mentoring the young players

19. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member