1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paris climate summit: destined to fail; Obama flails with a Hail Mary for his legacy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Nov 29, 2015.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

1. The official objective is to craft a legally binding, universal agreement to take steps to stop climate change.

2. Secretary of State John Kerry has already said strongly that America will not agree to binding limits.

3. Data provided to the BBC by GlobeScan revealed that only four of 20 countries polled contain a majority of citizens in support of their governments committing to ambitious targets. The number was 8 going into the 2009 summit in Copenhagen. Losing ground.

4. The IPCC wrote in its most recent assessment that its previous forecast for the global mean surface temp from 2016 to 2035 was too high. It revised it down to 0.3 to 0.7 degrees Celsius above the 1986-2005 level. So a pace of only 0.1 to 0.2 degrees per decade, meaning the path to 2 degrees of warming is 10 to 20 decades long. FYI the IPCC is a biased source, also, so their most recent revision is probably exaggerated, too.

5. The group is hypocritical by not supporting nuclear power, which is actually environmentally clean. People were scared by Fukushima, but the reason for that disaster was not nuclear technology, but rather the fact that the facility was located in a tsunami inundation zone (due to cronyism in Japan).

6. Obama is hypocritical because during his 2012 re-election campaign, he barely mentioned global warming, since his team told him "it didn't poll well".

7. After the lecture the US received from Europe after not agreeing to Kyoto, the US was the first to achieve the standards espoused by Kyoto! Embrace innovation, not economically irresponsible "climate change directives" shoved down our throats by governments, especially for events that could happen in 100-200 years.

2. val_modus

val_modus Member

Are you claiming that a politician was politicking? BLASPHEMERRRR!

3. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

You mean like fracking, which was financed by the American government when it was economically unviable?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/23/fracking-developed-government_n_1907178.html

I'm not sure you'd know where innovation comes from, but thank you for your heartfelt commitment to the government funding for sources of energy needed for a 21st century economy.

4. bigtexxx

Example of innovation: Uber, which reduces miles driven by the public.

...and LOL HUFFPO! FRACKING!!! MATT DAMON!!1eleven. The shale revolution was due to the combination of horizontal drilling and hydraulic fracturing, both of which have been around for a while. Yes, there was some government funding. Not sure what point you're trying to prove with that. Solyndra had plenty of government funding, also - how'd that one work out, Obama?

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

What is the "group" you mentioned that is not supporting nuclear power?

6. bigtexxx

The countries that have curtailed its use even after we learned the facts on Fukushima.

7. heypartner

The innovations are more about coal-burning power plants. Switching to natural gas where you can and more renewable energies.

Uber? Taxis do the same thing, so not really an innovation. If you're talking about reducing cars on the road, Uber/Taxis would require cultural change in mindset to stop uses your personal cars. It's more practical to aim innovation and more efficient cars and alternative fuels in the cars people are buying, and don't wait on the cultural shift to stop using personal cars as much.

This also applies to Truck fleets on the roads. Uber isn't going to help with that.

8. heypartner

What countries?

9. Northside Storm

Uber, built for a smart phone (based on publically funded patents in physics, optics, and chemistry), only made possible with GPS (military research), the code is written in parts in Backbone.js, an open-source Javascript framework developed by volunteers, and it is based on telephones (which were financed by Congress adapting telephone line subsidies).

Are you starting to get it? I know you're not an engineer, entrepreneur or scientist actually contributing to innovation, but it shouldn't be that hard to grasp that iinovation benefits largely from government funding and non-for-profit motives.

And the HuffPo piece quotes
    --are you going to ad hominem him as well?

#9 Northside Storm, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Obama's legacy is racist wingnuts like bigotexxx coming out of the woodwork in droves.

11. bigtexxx

Now Northside is trying to derail this thread by the argument that if something receives government funding, then it disproves the original post. Nope. Tangent.

12. Northside Storm

There was no point disproving anything in your thread, I am sure the Obama administration has been about as disgusting on this issue as any politician has been.

I was merely applauding your commitment to alternative energies and funding research for the future and reminding you how this phrase:

demonstrates a complete ignorance of how innovation comes about

Sorry if that triggered a "look at Uber" response when I'd wager you don't even understand what programming languages are used on mobile devices lol.

13. bigtexxx

So your whole point is to "teach" me that government has a role in innovation? LOL... OFF TOPIC, SON

14. Northside Storm

Can you define what the topic of your own thread is so I can go more off-topic? lol. Thanks.

Do you still agree with the statement you made: "Embrace innovation, not economically irresponsible "climate change directives" shoved down our throats by governments, especially for events that could happen in 100-200 years." now that you know more about the innovation you were talking about? I can start a new thread about this if you'd like, but you brought it up ;)

15. heypartner

Drop the Uber discussion. It has very, very little to do with innovations to reduce emissions. It's completely off topic. Don't know why OP would mention it wrt to a climate summit.

I dare someone to start a thread about how Uber will play a significant role in climate change vs other innovations. Until then, this thread is silly if we don't discussion real issues on this topic.

16. bigtexxx

LOL you're stuck on Uber. It was presented as a single example. How about low cost natural gas supplanting coal-fired energy? How about electric cars? There are many types of innovation, these are simply a few examples.

I love how this crowd tries to derail threads. It just shows they can't argue substance.

17. heypartner

Looks like OP won't list the countries that are "not supporting nuclear power."

weird thread
    too vague
    not worth the effort, it seems

I tend to agree with some aspects of the topic, but I'm not even sure what I'd be agreeing or disagreeing with.

18. Northside Storm

Tesla is funded by government subsidies, we just discussed fracking. I mean, for somebody who claims this is a derail, you're investing a lot of time into one statement of support I made.

Not sure what substance there is to this thread, beyond the obvious fact that politicians are liars and hypocrites lol.

19. heypartner

I'm stuck on Uber? I was trying to end that discussioin. Jeez dude. I mentioned innovation to coal-powered plants and alternative energy fuels for fleets and cars in the same post? Why are you so combative?

so much for trying to talk about a subject I know a lot about, with objective info that this forum might not otherwise get access to or hear about, since this is what my company does with Fortune 100 companies include those that own Nuclear Reactors and Power Plants throughout the globe. Plus the largest trucking fleets in the world. I could tell you what they are doing and thing about this climate summit.

but bigtexxx and Northside Storm just ruined this thread.

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think the point of this thread is: this is great news for Mitt Romney!
    These are very well-timed zingers to harm the political future of Barack H. Obama.

[​IMG]