1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[painful] gallstones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by getsmartnow, Jun 17, 2008.

1. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

So I was scheduled to have my gallbladder removed on the 1st July...I'm 26 by they way, quite fit (just lost a lot of weight- one of the main reasons for getting gallstones), and my dad was exactly my age when he had his out (the other main reason).
    But on Monday the pain was terrible- if anyone has had stones of any kind they know what I'm talking about. So I get to the emergency ward, check in with my surgeon, and he takes me to theatre to have my gallbladder removed.
    24 hours later I've been discharged, and am lying at home feeling worse for wear.

Anyone ever had gallstones/gallbladder removed? How the hell did you cope with the shoulder pain? Apparently it's caused by CO2 being pumped into your chest during the operation.

Thanks for listening to my vent... :)

2. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Chewable gas-x will actually help.

I don't know this personally, but my wife has had 2 c-sections and two other abdominal surgeries... and she claims the gas pain from that C02 is the worst thing afterward...

Take the gas-x, and walk as much as possible, and as soon as you can.

The gas will work it's way through your system after absorbing through the bloodstream, etc.

btw- she claimed the chewable works quicker... could just be coincidence.

Hope you're over it soon.

3. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

My friend had his removed. In his case it was due to a poor diet. Fast food and fatty, greasy foods. The docs warned him, but he didn't listen so they just took out his entire gallbladder. He was in some pain for about a week. Thats all I know

4. Christopher

Christopher Member

My Mum had hers removed a few years ago.

She had no idea that they basically pump your stomach full of gas....and she was in a fair bit of pain. I waited until she was a bit better to tell her about the gas thing.

Anyway she went on to have complications and had to have another operation. It was a rare complication though to do with her bile duct.

5. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

Thanks guys, after a bit of sleep last night I'm feeling much better. Seems like the CO2 gas pains are gone- thank God, it was almost as bad as the gallstones themselves.

7. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Hope you feel better man, sounds really horrid.

Get well. :)