1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Over/Under on Yao's 3pt FGM this season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MrButtocks, Oct 8, 2007.

Tags:
  1. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Yao's made just one three-pointer in his entire career. Doesn't seem like a lot, but he hasn't exactly had the green light to shoot. We all know Yao's game is going to be stretched out with Adelman here. Many of RA's high post big men had jumpers and occasionally found themselves behind the line, despite not having the consistent range. Even under JVG, Yao's had to take the occasional desperation three. The question is: can he hit any this year? All signs point to yes. He's got the form and decent range.

Over/under on 3pt FGM: 4
    Over/under on 3pt FGA: 19

Who wants to take a guess?

2. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

I doubt he attempts many and i Doubt he will make more than 1.

My Favorite Yao shot of all time.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bVGGcrUUSJ0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bVGGcrUUSJ0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

3. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

Why doesn't he take more outside shots?

4. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

three letters.....

5. johnrox

johnrox Member

0, 0, 0

6. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I wish someone would've asked RA if he would experiment with Yao's range out to the 3-point line

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He's 1 for 7 lifetime. Not a huge sample but not exactly Dale Ellis either. I'm sure the other team would love it if he hung out 24 feet from the basket though, it would certainly make life easier for the opposing center.

8. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

He was decent in the CBA.

9. abcdef

abcdef Member

Hopefully Yao won't make any treys this year. He shouldn't be standing out there.

10. SamFisher

...and Steve Novak was great in the NCAA. This is the NBA.

Realistically most big men who shoot 3's rarely crack 30%, only sabonis did that with 32%. Vlade shot a bunch with sacramento to the tune of about 20%. Pretty heinous.

If you do the math, considering that Yao is capable of shooting 55% or more from two point range, that's a pretty bad tradeoff. 55% of 2 > 20% of 3. Hell to make it even he would probably have to shoot around 35-40% from 3 - not going to happen.

And it's not like he's Dirk or Gasol who can use his three to set up a drive to the basket from 24 feet out. That's probably the one thing he should try LESS than shooting threes.

11. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

God I hope Yao won't be shooting 3's. We brought in tons of guys to do that for him. I'd rather see Yao do more Tomahawk dunks and Windmills and more T's. And then dancing it off like Antoine Walker afterwards.

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

any coach that suggests yao hoist up 3-pointers should be fired immediately. talk about playing to the defense. i'll say he takes 1 and makes 0.

13. tsunami

tsunami Member

Since when we need Yao to play that role ? we don't have enough players to shoot 3s ?

14. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Nobody's suggesting that Yao chucks from beyond the arc. But we all know he's going to take some eventually. The king's gameplan wasn't for Webber or Divac to shoot from beyond the arc, but it happened from time to time. If Yao shoots 1300+ shots, is it out of the question for 19 of them to be threes?

15. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Yao is a great shooter from anywhere on the floor. I'd never recommend drawing a play for him to shoot out there, but I'd be happy to see him do it if a broken play wound up that way. I'd be a hell of a lot more confident seeing that than watching Barkley's zillion threes fly -- he must have averaged nearly one a game and every time I cringed. And I'm a huge Barkley fan.

I'll take the under on both FGM and FGA according to the thread starter's post, but I don't mind seeing him throw one up once in a while. While it's in the air, I'll probably have more confidence than one lofted up by Rafer.

16. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

I'm imagining Yao dancing like Walker...haha it's too funny

17. SamFisher

Yeah, and they hit 20% and the other team was more than pleased to let it happen as much as possible.

19 shots? Who cares - why not 9 or 1.

18. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

He will shoot somewhere between 0-5, kinda a mix between Divac and Webber when they were w/ Adelman. Big difference is Yao is the post man that Divac or Webber never was, I see a lot more 16 footers, but 3s are stretching out Yao for no reason more times than not. Oh and makes who knows lets see how lucky he gets :D .

19. Junetastic

Junetastic Member

lol?

l think Yao will shoot some buzzer-beater threes this season.

20. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

B - I - G ?

I'm betting on the under. He might take a couple of desperation 3's, and Adelman might do a little experimenting with him in the 20-foot range, but he's really, really effective inside of 10 feet. He's not very effective at all outside of 15 feet. He'll be playing the same style as he did last year by the end of November.