1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Out of NY: Maurice Taylor on the Rockets' Defensive Philosophy,

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NIKEstrad, Feb 27, 2005.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A couple of details from the Mo Taylor trade.

Maurice Taylor, banished to the injured list since Jan. 18 in Houston because of his poor defense, claims Jeff Van Gundy made him "a better defensive player."

"Jeff and [assistant Tom] Thibodeau really instruct us how to play the post and do things the right way defensively," Taylor said. "One of his mottoes was, 'help like you want to get helped.' That's what made Houston a great defensive team."

New York Post

Approaching the deadline, Thomas planned to stand pat, but Houston and San Antonio approached him with trade proposals.

As one NBA official characterized it, the Rockets and Spurs were "motivated sellers" because both needed to clear future salary-cap room. Earlier this season, Houston offered Taylor to the Knicks, but they hoped to steal forward Kurt Thomas in return. In the end, they took Norris and Baker off the Knicks' hands to get Taylor's contract off their books and free up enough money to sign Yao Ming to an extension.

Link

Everyone who gets traded to or from Houston raves about Van Gundy's defensive coaching abilities.

2. Cesar^Geronimo

These comment make me wish Maurice well in New York.

All through this situation (which could not have been easy for him) he handled it with class !!!! Unlike so many other of his contemporaries

3. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Well, he is a defensive minded coach. I think he gets a bad rap because of how brutally honest he is (as another poster said). He's honest about himself, the system, and his players and expects a lot from all three of those sources. So far, I have read David Wesley, Barry, and T-mac rave about how he is the best coach by-far they have had. Now Mo T, after he was in the dog house. Crazy!!!!!!:eek:

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

So I guess that means my thread suggesting we should try that was not as ridiculous as someone tried to make it seem...anyway, I am happy with the way it turned out :).

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

On the other hand...considering even Isiah wouldn't make that deal... :D

6. codell

codell Contributing Member

Exactly.

7. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

"Antonio Davis and Gary Payton may be waived, but the Knicks likely will pass. . . "

This also was in that article. Don't want to get off topic but Antonio Davis would be a nice pick up by the Rockets. He is exactly the different type of power forward the Rockets could really use.

8. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

They must have meant Dale Davis.

I've said this before, but I wouldn't be surprised if we push for Kurt Thomas in the offseason. Maybe Spoon and a 2006 or 2007 1st rounder. Zeke might be amenable to that if he can find a center.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

:D

10. lalala902102001

Yep. I think that's what they meant. Antonio Davis still has a year left on his contract. I think that Dale Davis would be a good addition to this team. When he was healthy and motivated, he had a few good rebounding games for the Warriors earlier this year. If NO waives him, we should definitely pick him up.

11. McMingDynasty

McMingDynasty Contributing Member

MoT's a cool guy, he's shown me alot of character. It's rare for any players in the league not to whine and complain after being traded. Wish you luck in NY (but not when you're playing us), MoT!

Go Rockets!

12. munco

munco Member

Mo had a rough year this year, but I think he can still be effective. He also seemed to have good quotes and good interviews, seemed like a real cool guy. I hope he does well in NY.

13. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

As much good character as MoT has always displayed as a Rocket, JVG must have really hated him as a player to bury him so far down the bench...