1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Our limited guard & overall rotation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vlaurelio, Dec 12, 2017.

?

What do you think of our limited guard & overall rotation?

1. We are at a disadvantage it's on Morey to make minor moves on the roster

24.4%
  2. We are at a disadvantage it's on MDA to develop and trust the guys in his roster

24.4%
  3. We are at a disadvantage it's on both Morey and MDA to resolve this

20.0%
  4. We are not a disadvantage the players just have to play better, harder, and smarter

31.1%
  1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

hey mavs fan so how much did you buy your ginobli jersey at the goodwill store?

must be real hard your mavs are shet and you're banned from celebrating the rockets success..

but you right though han solo taught skywalker everything he needed to be a jedi amiright..

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. bongman

bongman Member

You started this thread talking about our 3 guard rotation but you present an argument where only ONE person is so fatigued. How is adding another guard going help JH with minutes without having to sacrifice efficiency (G league or unsigned player as you said).

The argument is that we dont have to do what GS or SA does to win. We also can't make a claim that we have a "limited" guard rotation when you have 2 HOF floor leaders and a SOTY /3 pt winner who are averaging 34 minutes or less.

D-rock likes this.
  3. vlaurelio

why do you think GS are champions and SA had 6 more wins and are 3-1 over the Rockets? do they have anyone who could have replaced harden to single handedly carry the rockets farther last year??

5 > 3 agree?

you would choose somebody like bobby brown over someone like nick young and patrick mccaw?

you would rather have MDA than Pops or Kerr?

you would rather have a 9 deep team than a 15 deep team?

4. bongman

bongman Member

If we are worried that our 10th string player can't win us a game, then we don't need to be talking about finals. How many times will need to rely on said player to bail us out and how much investment do we make to give us this warm and fuzzy that its going to be alright?

What do coaches have to do with this argument?

I would rather have a team that has chemistry than something that looks good on paper. If we really want to be good, why dont we go for PG13, Carmelo and Russel and add them to our team. That way, we will be soooooo DEEEP !!!!

D-rock likes this.
  5. vlaurelio

multi ring coaches are great coaches.. its proven.. you need data for that?

list the number of rings kerr, pops, and mda have

if you were a gm, rank the coaches who can give you a championship

6. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

i can't afford a ginobili jersey. i spent all my money on rockets tickets to go to more games every year than you!!

7. bongman

bongman Member

The thread YOU created is about our limited guards. Why are we now comparing coaches? Is this an argument from authority?

Yes they have rings and does their teams get an extra advantage when we enter the playoffs like +20 pts for every game? Their previous record or accomplishments does not help them at all with regards to the outcome of a playoff series.

I think this is the problem, you think you know how it is to be GM and obviously making and attempt to think like one when in all seriousness, you have the slightest idea on what is to do the job and get it done well. This is why I won't even venture answering that question as I will leave that to the folks who think they know.

MDA was vindicated by both Kerr and Gentry for their first ring when everybody else said you can't win a championship with a jump shooting team and a fast phased offense. They directly gave him credit, so does that count as a good endorsement?

8. vlaurelio

1. What am i complaining about mda? Can you quote me about what im specifically complaining on?

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Klay - Curry - Livingston - is young a guard? Who else is a guard?

Rocket River

10. bongman

bongman Member

you were asking me to chose which coach I would prefer and tried to manipulate the answer by mentioning RINGS. I provided information that even though he does not have the hardware, his vision was implemented by other coaches and won. He is a winning coach.

11. vlaurelio

let's say you were the Lakers or Knicks or Sixers GM before they hired MDA, if kerr and pops were available and interested, you would defintely choose MDA over Kerr and Pops?

12. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

MDA taught Kerr everything he knows. Mike D'GOAToni turned a white guard into a 2-time MVP and turned Jeremy Lin into a household name. Any real basketball fan knows the greatness of Mike D'GOAToni. Only casuals don't think he's a great coach.

13. bongman

bongman Member

Again, is this a thread about who is the better coach or if we really need a 4th string PG?

To answer your question, about my preference. I would pick Kerr for Knicks as he knows the triangle offense. Pops for LA since you want somebody handling Kobe and MDA for our current team.

14. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Yep

vlaurelio likes this.
  15. finsraider

finsraider Member

When people say "we need a guard", I think they really mean "playmaker". A short guy that can only shoot isn't going to get playing time over Tucker or Moute.

I do think we will add a 4th guard in January or February if just to give CP3, Harden and Gordon some additional rest

vlaurelio likes this.
  16. vlaurelio

MDA is disappoint. no full-time PGs in his system.

we need a 4th guard behind ego. just like kerr has 5 guards he can give at least 10 minutes a night.

but if you're satisfied with garbage mamba only playing when we're up 2 minutes before the end of the game OR play significant minutes if anyone of our guards are injured or ineffective then go ahead I'm not gonna argue with that

17. bongman

bongman Member

Very nice of you providing a scenario that will only happen once in a blue moon. But if that is what is preventing you from sleeping at night, no doctor will be able to help with that.

Lets turn the table around. If you are not satisfied with a team that has the best record, best offense and defense, then nothing will make you happy. You will always find a flaw in the system to justify your views towards the coach.

Additionally, if you are somehow irked by the idea that garbage mamba is getting some playing time(somebody who only plays when it is a blowout), you need another hobby.

D-rock and YOLO like this.
  18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

WARRIORS
    Point Guard - Steph Curry Backup - Shawn Livingston -3rd - Quinn Cook
    Shooting Guard - Klay Thompson backup - Nick Young 3rd - Patrick McCaw

ROCKETS
    Point Guard - CP3 Backup - James Harden 3rd - Briante Weber
    Shooting Guard - James HArden Back up - EGO 3rd - Bobby Brown

Rocket River

19. Game7

Game7 Member

You are missing the option in your poll to select "We are number 1 currently and we are reaching for things to discuss."

I'm only half kidding.

But seriously...can it not be that we are at no disadvantage, and the players don't need to do anything different???

D-rock likes this.
  20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

There is only 96 minutes at the Guard Spots
    Harden 30 - EGO - 30 CPS - 30
    I'm good here

Rockets V Warriors
    Leading Scorer: JHarden - 32/g StephCurry 26.3/g
    Leading Rebounder: Capela 11/g Green 7.2/g
    Leading Assist: JHarden 9.5/g Green 7.3/g
    Steals Leader: CP3 2.1/g StephCurry 1.7/g
    Blocks: Capela 1.8/g Durrant 2.1/g