1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Opening Day Roster 2017-2018

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da Wink, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

Will the management stay pat with our players going to opening night? Of course, roster cuts will be made....or is there any room for last minute trades especially to those who can't get extensions to their current team or teams that are looking to trim the payroll?

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Paul / Brown / Taylor
    Harden / Gordon
    Ariza / Moute / Williams
    Anderson / Tucker / Qi / Oliver
    Capela / Nene / Black

D.Jackson/C.Johnson as 2way deals.

Basically, cut or trade Onuaku and Tim Quarterman. I don't care much for Taylor or Williams, but until better prospects come along i'm sure we will hold onto them. Brown is mostly here for the chemistry he has with our stars, and he has a decent 3ball for a 3rd stringer.

seeingredtx likes this.
  3. OTMax

OTMax Member

Maybe Morey can work his magic and trade for some guys down in Phoenix, though doubtful. With MDA's refusal to look at some of these rookies, I doubt we will get rid of Onuaku and keep Oliver. Taylor makes it, just because he's a PG probably. Disappointed Morey wasn't able to sign any veteran PG, because I'm sure they were or are available.

4. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

since Brown hasn't officially signed a contract (to my knowledge) I think he's giving us some flexibility until after cut as he can sign whenever. right now quarterman is the only real cut and Johnson... I think that's why he's getting such an extended look.... I don't think Johnson is eligible for a two contract as he's been around for quite some time now...could be wrong tho..... don't think they cut Oliver.... I feel like they wanna keep him around to see what they can bring out of him....

5. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

I believe that due to league rules, Brown wouldn't be able to play if he wasnt under contract.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Chinanu is 20, turning 21 in a few weeks.

I know we are in win now mode, but I'd like to give him another 12-18 months of development If we can. Zhou Qi showing up might light a fire under his ass to improve.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Nanu has guaranteed money next year I believe... albeit a small amount. I think they'd prefer to keep him for a trade or try and trade him now in the preseason for more guard depth. Would be great to do a Nanu for TJ McConnell deal, but the Sixers probably are trying to get at least a really good 2nd rounder for him if they are trying to move him (since he's now third string, and he's too good to be 3rd string).

D-rock and RudyTBag like this.
  8. King901

King901 Member

Would they want another big?

9. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Tj McConnell is a good player and a great find that may shake loose.

I think we need a 3rd PG for rotation purposes for when cp3 and/or Harden rests or possible injuries.

It's clear to me that ego cant run an offense and is strictly a secondary playmaker and scorer. As we seen last night without cp3 playing, the backup behind Harden is ¿bobby the goat? Would prefer a more capable backup than that.

I don't think so imo. They appear to need wings more than anything, a forward that can play the 3 and 4. Maybe Troy Williams is someone they could have interest in?

#9 BigMaloe, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    carib, D-rock and saleem like this.
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Who wants to bet me that we sign Wiltjer.

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

or work a deal with OKC to get Melo

12. heypartner

All kidding aside.

Since Toronto signed him and waived him (as a second team since our trade), we are now eligible to sign him back.

skroodup25, BigMaloe and Os Trigonum like this.
  13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I haven't seen McConnell play, but there is no doubt we need a capable backup PG.

14. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Don't they have to wait a year from the trade date to sign him?

15. heypartner

EDIT: See Bima's take below. He doesn't feel like this is the same as the Bogut/GSW situation

Kudos to @J.R. for remembering the Bogut situation last year

#15 heypartner, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    skroodup25 and BigMaloe like this.
  16. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Do not want T.J. McConnell. He really can't shoot. Would rather claim Kendall Marshall from waivers. Played well and shot 40% from three under MDA.

fattz likes this.
  17. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

NICE! I gotcha. I didn't catch the Toronto signing.

BigMaloe likes this.
  18. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

Our backup PG in the rotation last night was either Gordon or Mbah a Moute, whoever decided to bring the ball up, basically.

So it seems that D'Antoni does not like Brown or Taylor, so we need to be looking for a decent veteran (is Udrih still out there?) on a minimum deal or trade Onuaku/filler/2nd for someone like TJ McConnell.

19. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

When considering a 3rd string PG, you should consider playmaking and ability to facilitate more so than pure shooting numbers. Especially in the mda offense.

You have to be able to penetrate and handle the rock and that's something Kendall can't do. McConnell isn't great, but as a 3rd PG he would be a very good fit.

Another player who could do well is Michael carter Williams. Honestly, it doesn't have to be a great player, just capable of running the point for small spurts.

20. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Marshall is a pass-first point guard averaged 8.8 assists under MDA. I think he's a better fit for us.

fattz likes this.