1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Omnibus] Cops behaving badly

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/buena-park-police-officer-gun-customer-mentos/
    ]

BUENA PARK, Calif. — A simple convenience store purchase escalated into a potentially deadly dispute when an off-duty police officer pulled his weapon on a man over a $1.19 pack of candy, and the victim of the harassment says he doesn't want this incident to get swept under the rug. CBS Los Angeles reports security video clearly shows Jose Arreola paying for a roll of Mentos at a Buena Park convenience store.

A man later identified as a city police officer out of uniform walks in after Arreola puts the candy in his pocket, prompting the officer to tell him, "Hey, give that back. I'm a police officer."

At that point, the officer pulls out a handgun from his sweater pocket, stunning Arreola, who quickly puts the candy back on the counter. "Oh, I paid for it!" exclaims Arreola.

The officer then tells Arreola, "Get your cash and leave," before Arreola again protests, "I paid for it."

[​IMG]
    A simple convenience store purchase escalated into a potentially deadly dispute when an off-duty Buena Park police officer pulled his weapon on a man over a $1.19 pack of candy.

CBS LOS ANGELES
    The officer asks the clerk if he did, in fact, pay for the candy. After he asks the clerk the same question multiple times, the officer says, "My apologies. My apologies."

"You know who I am, right?" the officer asks the clerk. "Yeah, I know," he responds.

They were tense moments Arreola feels were fueled by the officer's lack of respect for him.

"The hardest thing for me was, believe it or not, it wasn't really the gun," said Arreola, pausing as he seems almost overcome by emotion. "It was his arrogance, his way of talking to me. […] He treated me like a piece of trash."

The March 16 incident occurred while Arreola's wife waited in their car. The couple filed a complaint against the City of Buena Park the following day, which led to the discovery of the video.

We're not lying about what happened, 'cause that's how they've made us feel," Jackie Arreola told CBS2 News as she began to weep.

The Buena Park Police Dept. declined to comment on the case, saying the pending litigation prevented them from saying much, but they issued a statement from Chief Corey S. Sianez on Facebook, which read in part,

"I want you to know that after I watched the video I found it to be disturbing, as I'm sure it was to you. However, because there is an ongoing personnel investigation and potential litigation pending against the city, I am unable to discuss the details of our investigation."

The Arreolas told CBS Los Angeles they don't want the officer fired, but that they do want him to get better training.

"There's a lot of good people, officers, but when one or two do bad things, it just reflects on the whole department," said Jose.

The couple said the City of Buena Park would not give them the name of the officer, adding they hope to figure out a settlement out of court.

What the entire F*ck?
    I mean really. . . he was ready to shoot someone over some f*cking Mentos. . . .
    It is not even a felony .. . . it is a maximum punishment of like 500$ fine in Texas
    but
    That is worth killing a person??? Seriously?

Rocket River

mdrowe00 likes this.
  2. edwardc

edwardc Member

Was that groundhog armed

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

[bobthemediocre] Well, he isn't white so there's naturally a reason for the off-duty cop to be suspicious. It's the customers fault for being there...and not being white.[/bobthemediocre]

amaru likes this.
  4. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

What did the officer do wrong? The ground hog was possibly rabid and acting in a very aggressive way. Groundhogs are typically very shy solitary animals that comes out in early morning and early evening hours. I think the officer reacted perfectly.

What do you think should've happened? Officer letting the critter leave and possibly infect other people/creatures? Try to get closer to the animal risking himself to be infected? Stop the traffic for an hour while waiting for animal control to show up?

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I so badly want one of these off duty cops who don't identify themselves to get popped by a CHL holder.

6. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

Yep.

Here's more fun:

White Woman Calls Police on Black Family's BBQ for 'Trespassing' in Oakland Park (w video)

By Benjamin Fearnow On 5/10/18 at 11:44 AM

Sunday morning barbecue along Oakland, California’s Lake Merritt was derailed after a woman called the police on them for using a charcoal grill. Several witnesses and other family members attending the cookout said it was about race.

Video recorded by Michelle Snider on April 29 shows a white woman standing in the East Bay’s designated BBQ zone as she tells a group of black family and friends that they cannot hold a BBQ there using a charcoal grill. One of the men was accused of “trespassing” by the irate woman while on the phone with the police, Kenzie Smith told KRON-TV. The woman hurled several racial epithets at them and told them they’d soon be going to prison for their Sunday afternoon actions.

“I hear you have a problem with these gentlemen having a barbecue here at the lake. What’s going on?” asked Snider, who recorded the now-viral video between her husband, Smith, and the unidentified white woman. The woman on the phone then reiterates that the family is not able to use a charcoal grill in that part of the park.

“Are you sure it’s not because you don’t want black people out here,” Snider questions. The woman responds, “It has nothing to do with their race."

“It seems like a new Jim Crow going on, because for some reason, every time I see this it’s black people being targeted for barbecuing at the lake,” Snider snaps back. “And you’re a perfect example of it right now. It’s two men, sitting out here just chilling. And this whole setup is real clean. They’re not even playing music.”

“It’s not about it being clean,” the woman responds, adamantly referencing that she is currently on hold with Oakland Police over the charcoal situation.

“I got out of the car at Cleveland Cascade stairs, and when I walked across the street, she was standing there on the phone. She said, ‘Oh great another [n-word],’” Smith told local outlet the Panther Times. “She said that we were trespassing, we were not welcome, and then she turned back around said, ‘y’all going to jail.'”

An official Oakland Park and Rec map of the area around Lake Merritt shows six designated barbecue areas, three stationary charcoal locations and three non-charcoal portable grill locations. Smith and Snider’s group of family and friends was grilling in one of the non-charcoal grilling spots—a cookout caveat which the woman calling police refused to let go.

Snider told KRON-TV that the barbecue rules are unclear and could lead to a criminal complaint; she said the laws should be reviewed by the city council. Snider and Smith said they have seen people using charcoal grills in that area for years, although they acknowledged several past problems within the park.

"I think it is really incumbent on all of us that when we call police, it is for emergency purposes," Oakland City Councilmember Lynette Gibson McElhaney wrote in a recent Facebook post, suggesting that people in the park find better ways for resolving a disagreement than calling law enforcement. "I want to encourage people to know when to call the police, when to raise a question of regulations with the city council, maybe there is a passive way to reach out to us.”

In 2015, McElhaney responded to a Facebook post about signs posted around the park threatening to issue citations to anyone barbecuing or drinking alcohol near the lake. She acknowledged the racial implications of the signs and noted a divide between white and black people in the park.

"While I'm not aware of the decision that led to the posting of the sign, I know that we've been receiving complaints from park users about the amount of trash and debris on the weekends. One recent complaint was from a parent of a toddler scorched by hot coals left in the park," the councilmember wrote. "Many of the residents at 1200 Lakeshore are Black. They are old Oakland. Some of the BBQers are white and new and often not even residents. It's just a lovely place to be."

Oakland mayoral candidate Cat Brooks told KRON-TV there is a big risk of potentially rising conflict when police are brought into an altercation of any kind. "When you engage law enforcement in these kinds of things you are opening the door for things to go very wrong, the potential for arrests like in Philadelphia with those two black men or worse physical assault or death and I don't believe in this day and age that white folks don't know that."

The woman on the phone ultimately did make contact with the Oakland Police, who arrived as both parties claimed they were being harassed by the other. As the nearly 25-minute video posted to YouTube shows, the officers took down a police report but issued no citations, made no arrests and allowed the barbecue to continue.

Oakland Parks, Recreation and Youth Development, as well as Councilmember McElhaney's office, did not immediately respond to Newsweek's requests for comment Thursday.

Invisible Fan and FranchiseBlade like this.
  7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/09/us/yale-student-napping-black-trnd/index.html

A black Yale graduate student took a nap in her dorm's common room. So a white student called police

There is literally nothing a black person can do . . .. . . without making some white person uncomfortable enough
    to sic the police on them

New Term I am Coining: HARRASSMENT BY COP

Rocket River

amaru and FranchiseBlade like this.
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Austin cops putting a beating on a dude misbehaving on 6th Street.

10. edwardc

edwardc Member

11. edwardc

edwardc Member

Yet another one

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Cop gets convicted for murder in Texas.

And people say Beto has no shot

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

An off-duty Dallas police officer shot and killed a man after walking into the wrong apartment in her building just south of Downtown Dallas.

It happened around 10 p.m. Thursday. The Dallas Police Department said the officer had just finished her shift and entered what she believed was her own apartment at the South Side Flats. The complex is near the department's headquarters on Lamar Avenue.

But it was not the right apartment and the officer ran into a man who she didn’t recognize. She ended up shooting him, police said.

https://www.fox4news.com/news/dallas-officer-goes-home-to-wrong-apartment-kills-man-inside

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

They trained her well.

15. KingCheetah

I have so many questions.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Question 1: How is she not in jail at this moment?

Rocket River
    In before pgabs tells us he should been more polite to the intruder in his house.

17. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

18. KingCheetah

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...op-cases-involving-zachary-wester/1428017002/

When people talk statistics. . . i point out this is probably more prevalent than we know

Prosecutors in Florida drop 119 cases involving deputy who is accused of planting evidence

MARIANNA, Fla. – Prosecutors in Florida said Tuesday they have dropped charges in 119 cases after finishing their review of arrests involving a former Jackson County deputy accused of planting drugs on motorists.

The charges involved everything from misdemeanor and criminal traffic offenses to felonies, including possession of methamphetamine and other controlled substances. All of the cases involved former Deputy Zachary Wester, who was fired Sept. 10 and remains under investigation by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

"We have completed the work we know about," said State Attorney Glenn Hess. "If additional information is received, we will follow that up. I have not received the FDLE report so I cannot say for sure that we are finished."

Rocket River

mdrowe00, Xenon and FranchiseBlade like this.