1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Yankees @2017 World Champion Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 30, 2018.

1. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

I don’t understand why McHugh gets zero high leverage innings. I’d rather try him at closer than anyone else. Do not get it. We know Harris and Giles can’t do it from past experience. Devo also is probably better suited to situational use depending on hitter. That leaves Peacock or McHugh. Give Collin a shot at it.

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

LOL. Another one of them games where Hinch has a problem managing his pen. El. Oh. El.

3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I didn’t say he was great, I said he proved he could save games. 12 in 2016 and 2 last year. He can save games. I’m not trying to say he’s a world beater. If he was then the Astros wouldn’t have the problem they do. My point is, do your damn job when you’re called upon.

As a manager you can only run guys out there that you have on the team. If this team had a dominant closer, he wouldn’t have to do what he’s done. Maybe they’re outsmarting themselves by thinking they don’t need set roles.

I think it’s more than ok to call out the manager if you feel like he’s doing a poor job. I also think it’s laughable that some of you are piling on like Hinch sucks.

#823 mikol13, May 4, 2018
    Last edited: May 4, 2018
  4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Why do we sisu in ouo ball park this season.

5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

McHugh's non-overpowering stuff probably has the team hesitant trying him at closer. But, he's pitched well out of the pen, and we don't really have any other options.

He deserves a chance.

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

I have wanted Giles and Harris gone for a long time. When they walk on the field, I know what is coming. I am amazed they are still here.

everyday eddie likes this.
  7. Major

Major Member

Harris has been one of the best and most consistent relievers in baseball the last 4 years. The only thing he really struggles with is the 9th inning.

Kida and Houstunna like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

This.

Harris is a good bridge guy in the 6th or 7th inning, or to get a couple guys out.

He isn't really a stalwart in the pen, because he is best if he is pitching 40-50 innings a year.

Still he is solid as a 4th reliever.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You clearly don't remember those games in 2016 or last year, and are just simply looking at the stats.

They were almost all adventures... especially the ones that he was the for-sure 9th inning guy when he supplanted Gregerson. It was almost night/day because in 2016, he was one of the most dominant relievers in baseball, made the all-star team, but then actually got worse after he was named the closer... and really never has gotten to that same level of dominance since.

I think everybody's point is that going into the 8th, Hinch had already made up his mind to use Devenski for the heart of the order (totally defensible), and Harris as the 9th inning guys... regardless of how things unfolded (as it turns out, Devenski breezed through the inning.... and certainly could have gone another).

Its the robotic managing that nobody likes... especially when things don't work out. Hinch had actually gone away from that... and more gut feel type stuff... as recently as Monday when he brought in Giles in a 1 run game (and nobody needs to be reminded of the total on-the-fly type approach during the playoffs).

But when managers make moves because they already decided innings in advance that's what they're going to do... it really doesn't give them a leg to stand on when it backfires (and in this case, predictably backfired).

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Nobody knows if McHugh can go back to back games or how his arm will bounce back with more usage. He's basically getting the same time in between appearances now as he did as a starter... which allows him to prepare in a similar fashion.

Certainly, if he keeps up these numbers... he'll at least get more high leverage situations on days he's available. But thrusting a closer role on a former starter, without knowing if they have the arm or preparation mechanics to withstand it, is not necessarily going to automatically work.

11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Of course I remember 2016/17. I’ve lived and died with this team since 1980.

Couple things here. No manager is perfect, I’m not saying you or anyone else cannot evaluate Hinch. Truth is, the team is not playing well. If this team could hit consistently we probably wouldn’t be talking about all of this.

Hinch robotic? How so? Look what he’s tried to do with the lineup. Granted, he may be sticking with certain guys longer than he should, but as a team they just aren’t getting it done at the plate. Was he robotic in the playoffs last year? Absolutely not. How in the world do you know what he was thinking leading up to bringing Harris in? Devo was lights out, but that doesn’t mean he would have been in the 9th, it just doesn’t.

Bullpen pretty much blows right now. Giles needs to go, I expected much more from Joe Smith and so on. The hitting is obviously killing the team too. When are we going to hold the players accountable?

Again, it’s okay to question the manger, but I’m not blaming him for the team playing poorly. It’s on the players. On top of that, Hinch can only go with what he’s got.

12. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

The loss is on hinch. Everyone knew what would happen when he brought harris in. Why didn’t Hinch know it?

Yeah some idiot will always respond that Hinch won a world series so now he can’t be criticized but Hinch was ****ing up like this last year and the 2 years before with the kind of idiocy like yesterdays bullpen management. This has always been a glaring problem with Hinch.

Yesterday was indefensible. What a robotic and very stupid move. We all knew it.

#832 Tomstro, May 4, 2018
    Last edited: May 4, 2018
    everyday eddie likes this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm saying the decision to pull Devo and put in Harris was robotic. It wasn't based on matchups. It wasn't based on which pitcher is better. It wasn't based on Devo over-exerting himself or getting hurt. It was a pre-set decision based on some robotic concepts that bullpen guys can only go one inning at a time, and 'any' quality bullpen pitcher should be able to get a save.

Hinch throwing Harris in the 9th did not take into account any of Harris' past 9th inning meltdowns or near meltdowns... he was hoping more than knowing that he could do it, and it didn't work.

I don't hold Hinch, or any manager, to a level of perfection... and as I said in my post, he's done a much better job (playoffs especially) of avoiding the robotic-type moves... but he deserves blame for the decision yesterday.

mikol13 likes this.
  14. Marteen

Marteen Member

EDIT: delete pls. I'm very confused how I got here.

15. Stros66

Stros66 Member

Im glad Giles is gone

#835 Stros66, Oct 25, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2019